Probably close to two months ago (in real time) I was needing a game-time-filling side quest for some of my player’s characters. So an NPC told them a story about Thaumerion Daelant, a wizard dead for almost two hundred years; his tower, they were told, had been raided repeatedly by adventurers over the years, but no one ever found the wizard’s personal treasures. Besides his spell books, a thing always worth having, the stories told that Thaumerion had been the owner of a Staff of Power.
That was enough of a hook to get them moving. I didn’t have the tower detailed yet; indeed, all I knew about it was what I just wrote above. They spent a session traveling overland to the locale, and still I didn’t have the dungeon done, but no problem… I just put J.D. Neal’s Insect Valhalla from our AA1 Adventure Anthology 1 multimodule between them and the tower. I’d wanted to run that adventure for a while anyway, so it seemed like a perfect time.
They finished it (as in, got from one side to the other) in a session, and due to scheduling issues I had a month to get the tower done.
A week ago, I still hadn’t done anything, and I knew I was down to the wire… they were literally at the outer door of the tower. I had to get it finished.
Tuesday I was driving down the road on the way back from visiting a customer, thinking about the tower, when I suddenly saw it all in a kind of a flash… how to build the dungeon so it could be repeatedly looted and still have significant challenges, and present an enemy who is not what it appears to be at all (subverting one of the oldest RPG tropes in the process).
Tuesday night I sat down and drew the maps, then converted them to MapMatic +2 format. Wednesday I laid out the basic document format, wrote up a first draft of the GM’s introduction, the main encounter and roughly a third of the other dungeon rooms. Thursday I filled in all the remaining rooms, and had James Lemon start taking a look at the adventure. I’ve redone some of the maps and touched up the text a bit since then, and as far as I’m concerned it’s almost ready to publish.
Seriously, I don’t normally write adventures that way. Most of the time, filling in the last 50% or so of the dungeon is a slog, and I rarely am able to fill in the mundane contents of the dungeon, or the flavor text, so easily as I did this time. Writing the adventures I publish, or revising those submitted to us, is almost always a slow process. Sometimes, though, inspiration hits… just in time, in this case, as I will be running the adventure in an hour and a half.
Thaumerion’s Tower will appear on the forum soon (after my players have been through it and I fix up whatever issues they expose) and I have plans for it to appear in AA3 Adventure Anthology 3 when we begin work on that document.