New Spells Supplement

Creating game materials? Monsters, spells, classes, adventures? This is the place!
Solomoriah
Site Admin

New Spells Supplement

Post by Solomoriah »

Post your comments here for the New Spells Supplement.

https://www.basicfantasy.org/downloads.html#newspells
My personal site: www.gonnerman.org
Sir Bedivere

Re: New Spells Supplement

Post by Sir Bedivere »

I'm working on the second release of the Magic-User Options supplement and came across Smoot's discussion of familiars. The spell is in the Olde Dungeoneer's Almanack, but not the New Spells supplement. I don't know if this was intentional or not, but I thought I'd mention it.

Also, tables that list the new spells by level would be useful.
Solomoriah
Site Admin

Post by Solomoriah »

Ack. Guess I'll have to fix that too.
Solomoriah
Site Admin

Post by Solomoriah »

Okay, so, I had the R4 version all done... and apparently forgot to release it. It's there now, with the Familiar spell back in play. Thanks for the head's up.
Maliki

Post by Maliki »

Are the spells from the various class supplements (Priest, Necromancer, Druid, etc) in the New Spell Supplement, or will they be added?
SmootRK

Post by SmootRK »

Maliki wrote:Are the spells from the various class supplements (Priest, Necromancer, Druid, etc) in the New Spell Supplement, or will they be added?
No.

I don't think any real effort is going to be made to make all the various supplements into a complete tome (although it would be a very nice tome). Each supplement is sorta stand alone to augment the Core Rules without referencing other document (at least whenever possible). Even so, I don't think any one supplement (such as Necromancer, Druid, etc) are perfect in this implementation either. They sometimes reference each other, but future releases (of at least the ones I have a hand in) will try to remedy this by including everything one needs for any one sub-class within the pages of that supplement. For instance, if Priests have access to a spell listed in the Necromancer Supplement, then that spell ought to be reproduced there as well... just for completeness. Not everyone wants to include all the various supplements, especially just to have access to a certain spell.
Is it really the end, not some crazy dream?
SmootRK

Post by SmootRK »

Funny how things work out. Libram Magica encompasses all of this supplement, the zero-level spells supplement, and also a lot more (more spells, some optional research rules, and more).
Solomoriah
Site Admin

Post by Solomoriah »

If you have a thread for Libram Magica, I can't find it. So, here are two spells submitted by Stuart Marshall for inclusion.

Chime of Release
Magic-User 1 Range: 60 ft
Duration: Instantaneous
This spell releases one creature from its bonds, chains or shackles, causing locks to spring open, chain links to separate and knots to untie. It also affects bonds within the mouth, so it will remove a gag or the bit from a steed.

Binding
Magic user 2 Range: 30 ft
Duration: 1 round/level
The target of this spell must be a rope, chain, cord, string or similar object. Its maximum length is 50 ft plus 5 ft per level of the caster (if rope), or half that for chain or cable. The caster may cause the rope to coil itself neatly, spread itself untidily, loop or wrap around a creature or object, release the creature or object, knot itself, or untie itself. Each action takes one round. If used to climb, the rope counts as a rope of climbing, and if used to capture or entangle a victim, it counts as a rope of entanglement, except that firstly, the rope can only affect targets within a foot of itself, and secondly, it has an AC of only 12 and can take a mere 2 hp of slashing damage before being cut.
SmootRK

Post by SmootRK »

I will see that they are added.

And, here is the workshop thread with spells that evolved into the Libram:
viewtopic.php?f=19&t=545
seandon4

Post by seandon4 »

I just noticed that there's no Burning Hands. 1e has it (LL+AEC and OSRIC). Sometimes players ask about it. Is it under a different name? Or just not considered "basicy"?