Bard Supplement

Creating game materials? Monsters, spells, classes, adventures? This is the place!
Solomoriah
Site Admin

Bard Supplement

Post by Solomoriah »

I took a look at the existing Bard supplements, specifically Smoot's take in the Showcase and Thomas Kolter's version from 2007. I've had a "vision" of the Bard for some time, but just hadn't gotten around to writing it up. Well, I've remedied that fact now.

Attached is the first public release of my Bard. I say "my" Bard, but it's really my version of the Core-style class with Smoot's songs worked in. I've listed you first in the credits, Mr. Smoot, since your version came out in 2012 and since I've appropriated more than half of my version from your document.

I'm open to suggestions here. This class is meant to be used as a combo; in my version of the world, it's their ability to cooperate that makes Humans powerful, and so the only class I allow Humans to combo is the Bard. Note that this means I've given them low hit dice, and low XP costs for advancement; in combination with another class, the low hit dice won't necessarily matter. Also, I'm allowing Bard/Magic-Users access to any weapon, but with limitations on armor and shields retained.
Attachments
BF-Bards-Supplement-r2.odt
(35.14 KiB) Downloaded 560 times
BF-Bards-Supplement-r2.pdf
(160.85 KiB) Downloaded 1028 times
My personal site: www.gonnerman.org
SmootRK

Re: Bard Supplement

Post by SmootRK »

And of course I like what you have done here. I may need to re-visit my own document and incorporate a couple of simplification ideas you utilized.

Mainly, the flat bonus to reactions instead of all the hullabaloo stuff I tried to write about "Influence". Never really liked that part in my Bard documents.

8-) 8-)
Is it really the end, not some crazy dream?
Solomoriah
Site Admin

Post by Solomoriah »

Keep it simple, that's my mantra.
mTeasdale

Post by mTeasdale »

Looks great, but I'm not sure about a class leveling faster than thieves than can use any weapon/armor.
Solomoriah
Site Admin

Post by Solomoriah »

Hmm, you're right.

I conceived of the class as a sort of "add-on" for the other classes; perhaps the combat advancement should be on the Magic-User column?
SmootRK

Post by SmootRK »

Solomoriah wrote:Hmm, you're right.

I conceived of the class as a sort of "add-on" for the other classes; perhaps the combat advancement should be on the Magic-User column?
I would think that you should make sure it is balanced on its own (and I agree with point made above)... then consider what is gained/lost when combined (as in stuff like, can a Fighter-Bard move defensively while playing instrument, can a MU-Bard send off a spell without interrupting Bard Song, etc.) The main stuff like what combat table, saves, etc. should be "best of".

That said, easier fix is to tone down combat/weapons/armor, and consider increasing XP rate... maybe as simple as matching Thief (any weapons, decent combat, Leather armor, XP rate) before considering the combo aspects.
Is it really the end, not some crazy dream?
Solomoriah
Site Admin

Post by Solomoriah »

SmootRK wrote:
Solomoriah wrote:Hmm, you're right.

I would think that you should make sure it is balanced on its own (and I agree with point made above)... then consider what is gained/lost when combined (as in stuff like, can a Fighter-Bard move defensively while playing instrument, can a MU-Bard send off a spell without interrupting Bard Song, etc.) The main stuff like what combat table, saves, etc. should be "best of".
This was my intent. I decided the Bard should have lower XP requirements as a stand-alone class, since what they do is objectively easy (at least, what they do in my version, using your songs). So making them fight as Magic-Users is probably the fairest solution at this point, though I might have to reconsider the XP costs also.
Dimirag

Post by Dimirag »

I like this class approach of not using a "times per day" or "success chance" for its special abilities.

I don't see wrong increasing the XP value, the Bard has a 100% success chance of using its songs, can do it unlimited times and with no time limit.

Making it use the Magic User's attack value does not sound out of concept, this Bard sounds more like a character that spends time learning and tuning his songs than fighting.

That said, I think every class receives a special benefit at each level, maybe the Bard should also get something like that?
Sorry for any misspelling or writing error, I am not a native English speaker
Drawing portfolio: https://www.instagram.com/m.serena_dimirag/
artikid

Post by artikid »

Nice, I like it.
I'd use the Thief's progression for XP, attacks and saves.
I'd limit the Bard to all weapons, no shield and up to chain mail armor.
Solomoriah
Site Admin

Post by Solomoriah »

Despite access to all weapons, my "pure" bard (non-combo) is very nearly a non-combatant/support character. This is the main reason their progression is so cheap... they don't get all that much for gaining levels.