RPG Primer and Old School Playbook

General topics, including off-topic discussion, goes here.
Olgabelle

Re: RPG Primer and Old School Playbook

Post by Olgabelle »

I found this book by accident while ordering the last of the BFrpg adventure books on Amazon (I have all the available print books now! :D ). I'm writing up a full review for my new blog, but for now I just have to say that it is an excellent tool for new players.

I have a couple friends my age, 14 and 13, I'm 14, that have wanted to get into gaming with me or our group for a while, but got scared off by all the rules and the jargon the grown ups use, even when I'm running something as simple as BF. I kind of ordered this book on a whim, since the description on Amazon was a little sketchy, but once it arrived and I read it, I realized it was perfect for them. I had them read it then ran them through the Halfling Home and Cave of Horrors adventure areas from Chaotic Caves for a short taste of how the game works. They got it and they loved it and I now have the start of a second game group, with no adults allowed :lol:

The play samples and advice are all easy to understand without being condescending, which is honestly how I felt about the old solo dungeon with Aleena the Cleric in the 2 book version of Basic D&D, that brat cleric talks down to you!

For a more experienced player like me, the DM advice stuff was cool, especially some of the stuff about converting between OSR games. My only criticism or suggestion is that the book might be easier to find if it was more clearly labeled as a BFrpg book. It took 4 or 5 visits to the BFrpg tag on Amazon for it to pop up in the related suggestions.

And the back cover "Not a Typical Player" photo is so cute!

Thank you for the great work on this newbies guide to BFrpg and OSR gaming!
Solomoriah
Site Admin

Re: RPG Primer and Old School Playbook

Post by Solomoriah »

Hey, thanks for the kind words! In my defense, the RPG Primer is NOT a BFRPG product; despite using BFRPG as its example system, I wrote it to be useful to anyone playing or GMing an OSR fantasy game. Also, unlike Basic Fantasy Project works, I make a profit on it.
My personal site: www.gonnerman.org