Registering for the BFRPG Forums

General topics, including off-topic discussion, goes here.
Solomoriah
Site Admin

Post by Solomoriah »

EDIT: Right now, the "Human Check" question is disabled due to a forum upgrade. I'll get something set up again soon.

When registering for the forum, you'll be asked a "human check" question about what site you're on. The answer is:

basicfantasy.org
My personal site: www.gonnerman.org
JoeCarr28

Post by JoeCarr28 »

Is there any particular trick associated with registering for the BFRPG forums? The reason I ask is that it took me several attempts before I managed to register successfully the other day. I would fill in the details, submit them, but the page would then just refresh. I initially thought it was just me, but then I've got someone else on the Dragonsfoot forums who would like to join the play-by-post game I'm trying to set up in the other thread, but who couldn't register on the BFRPG forums to sign-up. They're experiencing exactly the same problem that I did.

For example - is there a specific answer to the "prove your human" question that the registration process is looking for (it's a little vague at the moment).

As far as I could tell, I only managed to register successfully when I changed my password from one with letters only to letters + numbers, but there doesn't seem to be any stated requirement for that form of password and it may just have been a fluke.

Makes you wonder how many other potential forum members might be stumbling at this hurdle ...
swirler

Re: Registering for the BFRPG Forums

Post by swirler »

hmm I dont remember if I had trouble or not. I will make an alt that can later be deleted just to test.
--James
"Cthulhu called, he wants his insanity back."

"Vulnerable and hot trumps paranoid most of the time."
swirler

Post by swirler »

okay I tried it the first time and it failed so the next time I put basicfantasy.org in the p"rove you are human" and it worked the second time. Also my authentication email went to my spam in gmail.

Hope that helps!
:)
--James

SmootRK

Post by SmootRK »

When the forums were still new, there was a rash of Spammers who would jump onto the site and post adverts in all the threads. Solo implemented the verify function to remedy that. It is frustrating to find that folks are having issues getting on board.

Perhaps we can loosen the controls, at least for a while. If the spammers jump back on, then we could always throw it back up. I am pretty diligent about reviewing the board contents, so banning and deleting inappropriate posts can still be done... often aggravating or time consuming, but otherwise easily done.
Is it really the end, not some crazy dream?
Birthright

Post by Birthright »

I've since managed to register, but to me the question: "what site is this?"' didn't make me think "basicfantasy.org". In retrospect, it is the obvious answer, but I was thinking along the lines of "BFRPG Forum"' or "Basic Fantasy RPG Forum". Perhaps it is because I am not a computer-tech type and tend to think of the 'name' of a site as other than the URL. Perhaps I'm just stupid?

How about replacing the question with: "What is the 5-letter abbreviation of the RPG associated with this site?"

I wouldn't have messed up that one! :D
Solomoriah
Site Admin

Post by Solomoriah »

Or maybe I should sticky this?

The spammers haven't given up. They bang the doors every day. But they are using robots to do it... so long as they don't specifically target us (we're not interesting enough for that yet, I hope) and I don't unlock the door, they won't come in.
My personal site: www.gonnerman.org
swirler

Post by swirler »

good plan. I like it.

I'm James Davis and I approve this message.
:D
--James

SmootRK

Post by SmootRK »

I guess the best suggestion we could implement is an easier/more exacting question like what is proposed above.

Please enter the 5-letter acronym for Basic Fantasy Role-Playing Game in all-caps. answer: BFRPG
Is it really the end, not some crazy dream?
rredmond

Post by rredmond »

I like this idea:
SmootRK wrote:I guess the best suggestion we could implement is an easier/more exacting question like what is proposed above.

Please enter the 5-letter acronym for Basic Fantasy Role-Playing Game in all-caps. answer: BFRPG
Better than this one:
Birthright wrote:How about replacing the question with: "What is the 5-letter abbreviation of the RPG associated with this site?"

I wouldn't have messed up that one! :D
Because I would have been all confused... "But The Simple Game System is only four letters??!!??" :D

Man I miss that game. :(
Player of Will Thornton in Dirigible of Doom!
Unseen Servant PbP Forums!
CptClyde: I predict a TPK at the hands of a blind, lame goblin.
teaman: She'll break your heart. And your wrist.