Anyone familiar with the old Sea Machine rules from BECMI?

General topics, including off-topic discussion, goes here.
BusterBluth

Anyone familiar with the old Sea Machine rules from BECMI?

Post by BusterBluth »

I've been playing around with incorporating some of the Mentzer high level stuff into BF, and I've run into a question with the Sea Machine rules. This is the 4th and final step in calculating the Battle Rating (BR) for a fleet before actually rolling for the combat:

Make an average of both BRs (by adding both and dividing by two). The total indicates the final FLEET BR. Then determine separate combat modifiers for the fighting troops and the fleet. For troops: base the ratio on the marines’ total HD or levels rather than the number of creatures.

For the ships/sailors, determine the ratio from the total number of HP involved in each force (the sailors/rowers are then considered as part of the ship).

Make an average of both combat modifiers and add it to the fleet/troop BR. Resolve the combat with normal War Machine rules, using instead the table below.

I can't figure out what they're talking about here in referring to 'separate combat modifiers'. Can anyone make sense of this?

Part of me thinks this is a reference to the Troop Ratio modifier, which is added when the opposing forces are compared in size. But, that's not done when calculating the BR. It's done after your BR is finalized, just before each side makes a d100 combat roll. Hoping some of you are familiar with this and can chime in!