Tips for a new BFRPG DM? Starting a campaign on Roll20.

General topics, including off-topic discussion, goes here.
tzi89

Tips for a new BFRPG DM? Starting a campaign on Roll20.

Post by tzi89 »

Hi,

So I've finally figured out Roll20's system (Mostly) and am going to try DM'ing a BFRPG game on there. Mainly I like the simply rules lite system that gives me the flexibility to run my gameworld how I like and its so open to modulation that I can change and tweak to fit my campaign world which is more low fantasy and/or Conan the Barbarian esque.

But, is there any tips to DM'ing from those who have already DM'd BFRPG?
Hernes Son

Re: Tips for a new BFRPG DM? Starting a campaign on Roll20.

Post by Hernes Son »

The best GMing advice I've ever heard came from my son when he was 5 years old. He told me he wanted to be the GM in our game, and I told him that he should let me do it for a while until he'd played more.

He told me that GMing was "easy, anyone can do it". "Oh, yeah?" says I, being all cynical and grown up. "What does a game master do?"

"That's easy" he says, "Just know the rules, and make sure everyone has fun."
The Hooded Man will come to the forest, there to meet with Herne the Hunter, to be his son and do his bidding.
mTeasdale

Post by mTeasdale »

Do prep.

Don't overdo prep.

Use what your players are saying, in and out character.

Learn to improvise.

Take notes of what happen during the session.

Have fun.
Metroknight

Post by Metroknight »

If using the roll20 BFRPG sheet, give feedback to the BFRPG sheet thread as the author is requesting feedback.
tzi89

Post by tzi89 »

My first run was a great success.

The five players all managed to cross a river in the dead of night and the middle of winter, almost without drowning. They made it to the other side, fought there way through waves of enemy troops, took a small encampment as a massive battle raged throughout a city. And they discovered a ruined chapel with a beyond EVIL thing lurking in a cave beneath it.

Overall the only thing I might change is have players just roll a d20 For secondary skill checks/ability rolls and just use makeshift DC's for it. As complex as that is, I find the current system is super punishing with them having to beat just a static DC that goes down as they level.
Fraetor

Post by Fraetor »

For easy checks my group has you roll a d20 to get equal or under your attribute values in each area.

For example, to bluff someone you would use the character's charisma score, or use constitution when a character is drinking, an give a penalty for each drink drunk.

I like this system as it gives the ability scores a purpose (other than just determining your ability bonuses/penalties) and keeps fairly consistent throughout levels, making it easy to implement.

If you want to make higher or lower scores even more impactful then use 3d6 instead of the d20, as it will make extreme values much less likely.
mTeasdale

Post by mTeasdale »

I think a simplified version of the SWN skill system could be good fit. Roll 2d6, add an relevant ability modifier, 7+ is a success.