Random Attribute Generation For younger NPCs

General topics, including off-topic discussion, goes here.
Dimirag

Random Attribute Generation For younger NPCs

Post by Dimirag »

Any idea on what method use to generate the attributes for NPC of a young age?
I was thinking on using a lesser number of d6s or another dice combination for some attributes
Sorry for any misspelling or writing error, I am not a native English speaker
Drawing portfolio: https://www.instagram.com/m.serena_dimirag/
Longman

Re: Random Attribute Generation For younger NPCs

Post by Longman »

3d4?

It also really depends on what method you normally use for your adult NPCs. If you use 4d6 and drop lowest, then using 4d6 and drop highest for teenagers might work too.

I'd personally avoid any system that penalised specific attributes (all teenagers should have a lower str, etc). I've met teenagers who were huge, and smart, and charming, and athletic, and wise beyond their years.
Metroknight

Post by Metroknight »

Just an off the top of my head suggestion without any testing.

It depends on the age of the npc and it's race. If as a GM you decide that 16 yrs of age for a human is considered an adult (full grown) and the average is 10 on the attributes, you could just use a percentile decrease. Age 12 would have a 25% decrease on attributes, Age 8 would have 50% decrease on the attribute average.

This type of decrease could be used even if you used random dice rolls instead of the average. This method also would let you track their aging and natural attribute growth till they reach an adult.

It all depends on how much work you want to put into it.
Dimirag

Post by Dimirag »

Originally I thought on using 1d6 per 1/2 of "minimum adventuring age" in some attributes
Example: 16 years is the standard minimum age at which a human goes adventuring, up to 7 years old it will have a roll of 1d6 on some attributes, at age 8 and up to 15 he adds a second d6 to that attribute, and when reaching 16 he gains the third d6.

, but, using a percentage is not a bad idea, maybe rolling normal stat and then adjusting by a percent valu according to the actual age category
mTeasdale

Post by mTeasdale »

I would roll stats as normal, and remove something like 1 to some stats by 2 years younger than 16, or something like that.

I would suggest checking out how AD&D (or LL AEC) hangle this, its simple and effective.
SmootRK

Post by SmootRK »

I would wing it. :shock:

Seriously, assign what you think the stats ought to be. Or roll normally, then adjust accordingly.

There are super smart kids, kids that do incredible physical feats (gymnasts for instance), dexterous kids, even kids with good persuasion skill. About the only thing I would be hardest against is Wisdom, as that seems to be largely acquired over time from experiences (in the real world anyhow). Also Strength can be iffy, depending on exactly how young you are talking about. A 9 year old is not going to be strong like a grown man.

I would suggest you keep track of what their mature stats are supposed to be, then they just grow into those stats at some point.
Is it really the end, not some crazy dream?
quozl

Post by quozl »

Why do any NPCs need attributes?
Dimirag

Post by Dimirag »

quozl wrote:Why do any NPCs need attributes?
Because they are the new assistants of one of the group's pc and I wanted them to have stats to see what are their strength and weaknesses to determine any possible future training.