Supplement Race/Class Compatability

General topics, including off-topic discussion, goes here.
Jorgo123

Supplement Race/Class Compatability

Post by Jorgo123 »

Out of all the classes below, what can each race below be?

THE CLASSES: Cleric, Fighter, Magic-User, Thief, Magic-User/Fighter, Magic-User/Thief, Illusionist/Thief, Illusionist, Assassin, Druid, Jester, Necromancer, Sorcerer, Scout, Ranger, Paladin, Barbarian, and Spellcrafter

THE RACES: Humans, Dwarves, Elves, Halflings, Gnomes, Half-Orcs, Half-Elves, Half-Ogres, Bisren, Caneins, Kappa, Faun, and Phaerim
Metroknight

Re: Supplement Race/Class Compatability

Post by Metroknight »

It all depends on your game and what you want in it.

Most (if not all) of the races usually have a class allowed listed but they are usually focused on the core classes which should imply the subclasses of that class is allowed also.
Dimirag

Post by Dimirag »

The best way is to go with what you feel right, even if its go against what the supplement say. For ex, Elves can't be Clerics but I let them be Druids, paladins are open to every class but I closed it to elves, Dwarves can't be Magic Users and thus their sub-classes aren't allowed to them, but I would allow a kind of Rune-mage to them.
Sorry for any misspelling or writing error, I am not a native English speaker
Drawing portfolio: https://www.instagram.com/m.serena_dimirag/
SmootRK

Post by SmootRK »

Dimirag wrote:The best way is to go with what you feel right, even if its go against what the supplement say. For ex, Elves can't be Clerics but I let them be Druids, paladins are open to every class but I closed it to elves, Dwarves can't be Magic Users and thus their sub-classes aren't allowed to them, but I would allow a kind of Rune-mage to them.
I will echo this. Use what makes the most sense in your campaign.

Personally, I do not limit race/class options. Most of my NPCs follow their traditional cultural norms, however I allow odd combinations, even when odd or illogical... so long as the player can articulate a background or reason why. Makes for some really interesting characters. They may have to deal with odd reactions from my NPCs. For instance, a Dwarf Magic-User may be viewed as very suspicious at minimum... outright outcast of dwarven society or even hostile interloper on the other end of spectrum.

As far as few of the races mentioned that I created... there are some limits mentioned for the core rules classes, and there should be some suggestion of the preferred classes in the descriptions (for various sub-classes). For instance, Bisren lean towards Rangers and Druids; Fauns lean towards Bards, etc.

Again though, use what makes the best sense in your world and with your players.
Is it really the end, not some crazy dream?
sarang18

Post by sarang18 »

One of the main challenges in this discussion is striking a balance between allowing players the creative freedom to build unique characters and ensuring that the game remains fair and equitable. The compatibility of race and class can have significant implications for gameplay, as certain combinations may be overpowered, while others could be underpowered.
Boggo

Post by Boggo »

I don't restrict any race from any class.

but I also don't have any classes except fighter, magic-user, cleric and thief.

though I do use Quasi-classes, which is a much better way of doing interesting characters than just piling on more classes in my opinion.
No matter where you go...there you are
targenthan

Post by targenthan »

Usually, I tend to stick to offering a Race and Class list to my players that matches pretty much the first edition of the AD&D game as a mix as default - if I'm not going BFRPG RAW Core Rules.
If a player is set on a specific race/combo from other supplement or parts thereof then I'm open to it if a case can be made re any world/setting I'm using.
I'm not someone to arbitrarily restrict a player's efforts if they are willing to work with me as DM to make characters as a rule.