Mapping suggestions

General topics, including off-topic discussion, goes here.
vskull

Mapping suggestions

Post by vskull »

I'm interested in taking a stab at my first adventure module and a supplement sometime later on. Looking for mapping software suggestions that are acceptable if a document gets approved for print. It doesn't matter to me if you suggest freeware or paid software, as long as the results are up to Basic Fantasy standards. I appreciate any advice.

On a side note, tonight I ordered prints of the entire current product line of Basic Fantasy in Perfect-bound Paperback from Lulu. So stoked!
Solomoriah
Site Admin

Re: Mapping suggestions

Post by Solomoriah »

I'll accept about any old-school style map. I use my own MapMatic +2 for all my maps; I draw them on paper first since that's how my creative process works, then convert them over afterward. But we've published maps made in a number of different ways... as long as it's legible and more or less standard in symbols etc. I'm good with it.
My personal site: www.gonnerman.org
vskull

Post by vskull »

Thanks, I'll get started. From reading through the threads of this forum, I can tell this community is very friendly and open-minded. Looking forward to feedback once a rough draft is fleshed out.
Rhialto

Post by Rhialto »

I typically just use open source vectorgraphics programs like Libreoffice Draw or Inkscape. If you want to use the BF adventure template, getting Libreoffice is recommended, anyway.
chiisu81

Post by chiisu81 »

It didn't take me long to learn MapMatic +2 (on the Tools page), and besides just drawing a map out on paper it's the only software I've used.
vskull

Post by vskull »

I ended up using LibreOffice Calc Spreadsheet [floors / walls] and GIMP for Pixel art map symbols. I did a test print for the 1st floor of an abbey I'm working on and it seems to be working out. Everything is clean and evenly spaced. I've never used Inkscape before, but I will check it out. I'm sure there is a Debian package for it. Thanks again for the replies, I like options. :)
chiisu81

Post by chiisu81 »

Yep!
https://packages.debian.org/search?keyw ... ection=all

I've used Inkscape a few times in the past, I need to brush up on it.