Newbie intro to BFRPG

General topics, including off-topic discussion, goes here.
Ozor

Newbie intro to BFRPG

Post by Ozor »

Has anyone made any YouTube HOWTO videos on the basic mechanics of BFRPG?

Examples:
1. Character Creation
2. Combat Cycle
3. Spells
4. A short adventure (i.e. small two room dungeon)

Thank you,
Matthew Ozor
chiisu81

Re: Newbie intro to BFRPG

Post by chiisu81 »

Welcome to the game and forum!

Initial searching on Youtube turns up quite a few reviews, some of them including character creation. There's also several games ran, and those will include combat when it comes up. As far as a dungeon/adventure of only 2 rooms, I don't think there will be anything that small, but perhaps look for any games that use something from AA1 perhaps.
Ozor

Post by Ozor »

Thanks for the Welcome.

I am very new to RPG's and BFRPG seemed like a perfect place to start. I ordered most of the Rules and Modules and have started to read through the rules. I actually remember owning " Moldvay Basic D&D" as a child but never played it. Anyway been watching a "Fortress of the Iron Duke" play through on Youtube. Following along with the Module and starting to get a feel on how its played.

Going to try to DM a small session with my Son this weekend and see how it goes.
Hywaywolf

Post by Hywaywolf »

Sounds like a fun place to start. Hope your son has fun.
Ozor

Post by Ozor »

We are going to try to play through "Beneath Brymassen" from Adventure Anthology One. I've been walking through the game myself to solve any problems or find out what I don't know how to do. One of the creatures we come across is a "Immature Giant Centipedes".

It has the following stats:
Immature Giant Centipedes (AC 11, HD 1 HP,
#At 1 bite, Dam Poison (save at +5), Mv 40', Sv NM,
Ml 7)

I don't understand the (#At 1 bite, Dam Poison (save at +5)). Does this mean the monster hits with 1 damage with a 1d8 roll of 1? And then I need to have the PC roll a save of 1d20 and if they get less then 5 they die of poison?

Thanks for the help - if this is the wrong spot for this type of questions please let me know.

Thanks again,
Matthew Ozor
quozl

Post by quozl »

#At 1 bite means that it gets 1 attack roll (on a d20) and that attack description is a bite so it's trying to bite you. If the attack succeeds, it doesn't roll damage but instead makes you save vs poison but the save roll is 5 higher than usual. (Each class gets their own saving throw table which says how much they need to roll.)
Ozor

Post by Ozor »

Thanks Quozl for the information.

If a fighter has 12 saving throw against poison then it would be 17 verses the Centipede. This is were I've been getting confused - now if the PC rolls 17 or greater they are saved from poisoning? 16 or less they are poisoned and die or do they just lose HP each round until they beat the saving throw?
quozl

Post by quozl »

That depends on the rule you are using for poison. There are a few options in the GM section of the book. But yes, 17 or higher has no effect and 16 or less succumbs to poison.
Solomoriah
Site Admin

Post by Solomoriah »

If a fighter has a 12 saving throw vs. Poison and the immature giant centipede successfully bites, the fighter rolls 1d20 and adds 5 to the roll. Thus, a natural roll of 7 or better will succeed (7 + 5 = 12). These things are easier to resist, not harder, because they are immature. Even the mature ones give a bonus to the save.

Of course, you fail, you still die. Such is an adventurer's life.
My personal site: www.gonnerman.org
Solomoriah
Site Admin

Post by Solomoriah »

In general, plus values (like the +5 above) are added to the die roll, not to the target number. Sometimes we deduct from the target number instead of adding to the roll (this is how we handle racial saving throw bonuses in my game) but by the book, you add to the die roll.
My personal site: www.gonnerman.org