Weight and Movement Rates

General topics, including off-topic discussion, goes here.
Clever_Munkey

Weight and Movement Rates

Post by Clever_Munkey »

Something I meant to ask a while ago, but kept forgetting. Is there an official rule for carrying weight above your heavy load value? Is the heavy load supposed to be the max that character can lift, and move? That's how I've been interpreting it, but I just want to check.
Call me Joe. Mr. Munkey is my father.
Metroknight

Re: Weight and Movement Rates

Post by Metroknight »

I usually ruled that anything over the max but less than twice caused the character to move at a speed of 5ft and they could only maintain that speed constantly for their CONx2 in minutes before they had to rest.

This allowed characters to heroically carry their buddies a short distance away before having to rest as in one game I had a PC wizard survive a battle but his buddy (a fighter) was unconscious so the wizard carried the fighter a short distance away from the carnage and hid till they healed up a little from resting.

Now this is just my house ruling not an official rule.
Solomoriah
Site Admin

Post by Solomoriah »

It's meant to be the maximum the character can carry for any distance. How you handle an overloaded character is up to you, but Metro's approach would be a fine place to start.
My personal site: www.gonnerman.org
Clever_Munkey

Post by Clever_Munkey »

Solomoriah wrote:It's meant to be the maximum the character can carry for any distance. How you handle an overloaded character is up to you, but Metro's approach would be a fine place to start.
Good to know.
Metroknight wrote:I usually ruled that anything over the max but less than twice caused the character to move at a speed of 5ft and they could only maintain that speed constantly for their CONx2 in minutes before they had to rest.

This allowed characters to heroically carry their buddies a short distance away before having to rest as in one game I had a PC wizard survive a battle but his buddy (a fighter) was unconscious so the wizard carried the fighter a short distance away from the carnage and hid till they healed up a little from resting.

Now this is just my house ruling not an official rule.
That's perfect. I was trying to come up with a ruling on a situation just like that.
Call me Joe. Mr. Munkey is my father.
Hywaywolf

Post by Hywaywolf »

Like Solomoriah said, its a weight you can carry day in and day out while on an adventure. I try to use real life examples when I think of these rules. Obviously, people can carry a heavy cooler full of ice and beer from their car, across the parking lot, through the dunes and down to an open spot on the beach, but they wouldn't want to carry it on a 3 day backpacking trip on a mountain trail. But if you tried really hard you probably could by dragging it slowly with lots of stops and long nights of rest and maybe even have to take a full day of rest to recuperate before moving on. That 3 day trip might turn into a week or more and leave a trail that a blind drunk could follow, but it could be done.