Treasure Curiosities

General topics, including off-topic discussion, goes here.
Clever_Munkey

Treasure Curiosities

Post by Clever_Munkey »

First: A few monsters have multiple treasure types listed for either lair or individual. Am I correct in assuming that the GM chooses one of the types, and not both?

Second I've calculated the average loot gained for each treasure type, and the number of unique monsters with that treasure type. For example H includes all dragons (counted as 1 monster) and dragon turtles (I am conflicted about whether they should be counted the same). The table is sorted by highest converted coin value, and includes gems (avg 486.47 gp with no value adjustment) and Jewelry (avg 900 gp).

A few interesting points:
M has the highest raw (no gems or jewelry) coin value of any treasure type.
Bugbears are the only monster with type M or type L treasure.
Ghosts are the only monsters with type N or type O treasure.
Kobolds are the only monsters with type P treasure.

Now the last two are fairly understandable. Ghosts might have potions and scrolls laying around, and kobolds are poor individually. But the type M for bugbears puts them almost as rich as dragons.

I'm curious as to the reasoning behind the type M treasure for bugbears. Obviously the B, and L treasure types puts them slightly above average compared to other humanoid monsters.
Attachments
Treasure Type.PNG
Treasure Type.PNG (18.49 KiB) Viewed 2821 times
Call me Joe. Mr. Munkey is my father.
Solomoriah
Site Admin

Re: Treasure Curiosities

Post by Solomoriah »

The reasoning is called "tradition." I don't actually know how the types were assigned; they mimic the treasure distributions of the target edition. This actually indicates that types N and O might have been completely unused in those books, since the ghost is a BFRPG 3E addition.
My personal site: www.gonnerman.org