Basic Fantasy RPG with a D&D Logo slapped on it?

General topics, including off-topic discussion, goes here.
Rules Cyclopedia Guy

Re: Basic Fantasy RPG with a D&D Logo slapped on it?

Post by Rules Cyclopedia Guy »

Also can you PM me info on the Basic Fantasy Role-Playing Game Product Identity License please.
SmootRK

Post by SmootRK »

I certainly don't mean any spite over it. I have certainly thought about producing a re-written book that combines the core rules with supplements that I particularly like, and the houserules that I play with... in effect, my own version of the game. I certainly have enough variations in my game to produce a very different take on this material.

Like I said, it was more about the alarm bells. At a glance, it looked like someone intending to make financial gains with materials produced by others explicitly for sharing freely.

I can tell you that seeing the prompt manner in which you pulled the material, offered explanation, and apologies... That I completely believe in your sincerity of purpose. I hope you stick around in our community and share your ideas and endeavors with us. :D
Is it really the end, not some crazy dream?
quozl

Post by quozl »

Rules Cyclopedia Guy wrote:Also can you PM me info on the Basic Fantasy Role-Playing Game Product Identity License please.
It's on the very last page of the Basic Fantasy rulebook. I suggest talking with Chris about the details though.
Solomoriah
Site Admin

Post by Solomoriah »

Johnny, I don't know if free sharing is "wrong" in any objective sense. As I said, I don't really care. But I do know that it is not legal, and that WoTC/Hasbro almost certainly DOES care.

I do find your use of the name (and in the standard logo font at that) of their game on a book with your name listed as the author to be wrong, as well as illegal. Again, not a lawyer, but as I understand it, creating such a book and distributing it (even for free or at cost) would be trademark infringement, which is much easier to prove and thus to prosecute.
My personal site: www.gonnerman.org
Dimirag

Post by Dimirag »

Hope you stay around and become a part of the community and learn the way we think and work.

I don't mind people modifying the game to suit personal taste, I encourage it, but sadly presenting the game with another name on the cover while keeping the BF and art w/out permission, and with every copyright page and name erased is what made me give my original comment. But I understand those where errors and no foul play was intended.

If you wish to present your ideas on how you would play the game you can present one or more supplements.
Sorry for any misspelling or writing error, I am not a native English speaker
Drawing portfolio: https://www.instagram.com/m.serena_dimirag/
Rules Cyclopedia Guy

Post by Rules Cyclopedia Guy »

I just want to say one more thing addressing this issue, and Chris you are correct. But i need to fully explain. The logo was used because the Rules Cyclopedia was a all in one book, and when i compiled mine, it was in that same spirit of a all in one awesome book. thats the ONLY reason for that, to capture that feel. I didnt put my name on the edge of the book to say i created it, only to say it was my book ( I own this copy), not to say i wrote it. I wasnt selling it or anything and explained to my viewers I didnt create this. all that being said, yes i understand all that followed. Just please know it was all in the spirit of D&D, not to take away from anyones work. all the other information was erased to try to make it look more like a real book. If i didnt care I wouldnt even take the time to explain. I totally understand you are guys are a close protective community and i respect that. its awesome. Have a good one guys.
Solomoriah
Site Admin

Post by Solomoriah »

Again, Johnny, it's not a big deal to me. Really, I'm flattered. But it could have gotten you in a lot of trouble, and I really didn't want to see that.
Caelestis

Post by Caelestis »

Can I just say, it is nice to see a conversation online, on a serious topic, that hasn't degenerated.
It speaks volumes about the community and the contributers that everything seems to have been resolved sensibly.
Just really nice to see.
Solomoriah
Site Admin

Post by Solomoriah »

This is just how things are done around here.