Weapon Specialization + Quasi Classes

General topics, including off-topic discussion, goes here.
CKenn1

Weapon Specialization + Quasi Classes

Post by CKenn1 »

I’m using the Combat Options and Quasi Classes supplements in my current campaign.

I have a guest player next week who rolled up a Fighter with the Archer quasi class.

Should I allow the player to use the Weapon specialization option? I don’t really see any conflicts, considering if he was using Thief he would get the abilities as well.

Does anyone have any experience with this?
Last edited by CKenn1 on Sat Jan 20, 2018 6:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SmootRK

Re: Weapon Proficiency + Quasi Classes

Post by SmootRK »

I designed the quasi-classes to augment the core classes, not to void any particular features. So if a core class has a feature available (such a the weapon specialization), the quasi-class does not change that. Quasi-classes only add features for an xp cost, not take things away.

Of course, I also expect each individual GM to judge what is best for his/her campaign. If something seems out of balance due to the nature of supplements used, then by all means, tweak the features it, drop it, or otherwise modify it as necessary to get what you want out of it.

I would like to also point out the updated quasi-class supplement can be found in the Showcase, though there are a couple spots that are unfinished in that release 4 document.
http://www.basicfantasy.org/showcase.cgi?sid=51
Is it really the end, not some crazy dream?
CKenn1

Post by CKenn1 »

That’s what I’m using and it’s awesome. I’m gonna allow the weapon specialization since in my game it is considered a core rule to the Fighter. I can always make things a little harder for them if it starts to seem a little overpowered.

Also since I have the creators attention, how complete is the Monk class? Is it usable as is?
SmootRK

Post by SmootRK »

CKenn1 wrote:Also since I have the creators attention, how complete is the Monk class? Is it usable as is?
It is essentially finished, though mostly untested. I only wanted to expand upon a section that details some combat special maneuvers and detail how a monastic-character would interact or augment such maneuvers. Parry, Trips, Disarms, etc. and how a monastic-character might get bonus to attempts or get better results.

I kinda just lost my steam due to growing family and work stuff back in that time frame.
Is it really the end, not some crazy dream?
CKenn1

Re: Weapon Specialization + Quasi Classes

Post by CKenn1 »

Very cool,

We haven’t used the Monk but I presented it as an option for a fish out of water sort of character for my current guest, but they chose the Archer. Which is fine cause when I have a guest player I let them choose between 2-5 classes that work in the current story.

All the supplements I’ve used seem to work great with the core game and I rarely have any balance issues. Best rpg ever.