Races with Level Supplement

General topics, including off-topic discussion, goes here.
Dmasterdad

Races with Level Supplement

Post by Dmasterdad »

I purchased BFRPG almost a year ago and have been playing it for over six months and loving it. But recently i have been wracking my brain trying to figure out how to implement race as class as found in B/X when i inadvertently stumbled upon this http://basicfantasy.org/showcase-downlo ... els-r2.pdf

Wow!, this is just what the Dr. ordered which brings me to the purpose of this post.
Does anyone feel this supplement should be in the main download section and not in the showcase? Maybe it is not because it somewhat goes against the separation of race/class which is one of the main things that seperates BFRPG from other games. But i feel there are many people like me that might find this very useful but just do not know where to find it.
chiisu81

Re: Races with Level Supplement

Post by chiisu81 »

That supplement doesn't implement race-as-class; it adds additional benefits to the races upon level-up. You'll note under Restrictions it still lists which classes each can become.
SmootRK

Post by SmootRK »

BFRPG is close enough to the BX version of a certain game, that one could essentially import the desired Races (as classes)... virtually unchanged. Not my style, but certainly easily doable.
Is it really the end, not some crazy dream?
Dmasterdad

Post by Dmasterdad »

Thanks guys, I am aware that the Races with Levels supplement is not Race as Class, but it gives me a pdf I can link to my players that never played B/X that easily allows me to implement R as C without mass confusion.

If it was in the main download page I would have found it way sooner, I am much more savvy with the site than I was when i started.

I just thought that there are more people like me that would find it useful, but I can understand why it is not on the main page.
Dimirag

Post by Dimirag »

Thanks for liking the supplement, the ideas was more in line with "balancing" the races without just using an XP cost but in fact it does takes inspiration on the pre-Advanced games.
If it lets you play the game the way you want, then go ahead and use it or modify it as you please.

Now, regarding the Download page:
This supplement won't reach that place due to been untested and never getting any real attention, and more importantly, it changing the core rules in an important way, altering the core mechanics away of how they are intended to be.

There are people that see the Download Page as an "only official rules" sector, if this kind of supplements where there, some kind of confusion or rule alteration could happen, and I prefer to avoid that leaving the Download page as a presentation of how the game should and could be played according to Solomoriah.

If you have any feedback, question, ideas, etc regarding the supplement please post it here
Sorry for any misspelling or writing error, I am not a native English speaker
Drawing portfolio: https://www.instagram.com/m.serena_dimirag/
Solomoriah
Site Admin

Post by Solomoriah »

Dimirag has it right. The Downloads page is carefully limited to only those supplements that change the game in a more or less "old school" way, i.e. more or less compatible with specific features of games of the target era. That being said, a race-as-class supplement would not be far enough out of line to be omitted; after all, race-classes were common in the early 80's era. But it would have to be rather thoroughly tested before being moved to the Downloads page.
My personal site: www.gonnerman.org