Character Creation Thread

This forum is for the rotating GM campaign started by Joe the Rat.

Moderator: Joe the Rat

Joe the Rat

Character Creation Thread

Post by Joe the Rat »

Okay, here's what you need to know (repeated from the rules):

Character Creation
Attributes: Character scores will be selected from the provided array. You may exchange any two ability scores at character creation (BFRPG, p. 139). Be aware of race and class restrictions in your selections.

Character Classes: We are starting with the basic four for now. Please note the following tweaks:
Cleric: Flail, Chain, and Bola are added to permitted weapons. As a clarification, a cleric’s holy symbol is needed for casting spells, but not for orisons. Clerics will begin play with three Orisons, plus their Wisdom modifier.

Fighter: Fighters have the option of weapon specialization (from combat options). I am also offering two other options: Shield Specialization (+1AC from shields, limited to one rank), and two-weapon specialization (Each rank reduces the attack penalties by 1 (to a minimum of 0/0 at rank 5).

Magic-User: Your starting spellbook includes 4 cantrips, Read Magic, 1 1stlevel spell, plus additional spell levels of spells equal to your Intelligence bonus. Cantrips count as ½ level.
Allowed weapons are club/wizard staff/walking stick, dagger (including defense), dart, and shuriken.

Thief: Be aware of the race and attribute bonuses from Thief Options. While any armor may be worn, anything heavier than studded leather is not recommended.

Multiclassing: You may take multiclass combinations as allowed by your race. We will be using the system as outlined for elves in the BFRPG book: You may take the best BAB, saves, and traits of each class (including hit die), and you must earn the combined XP needed to level up (e.g. a fighter-magic user needs 4500 XP to reach level 2: 2000+2500.

Starting Level/XP: Characters start with 3000XP – single class characters will be 2nd – 3rd level.

Backgrounds and Specialties: While it is not necessary, you may “select” a background. This is more detail about the character’s history or specific training, to get a sense of what you’ve done, and what you know how to do. You are considered proficient in these areas, and will have bonuses to any related attribute rolls. (Note this isn’t pick a skill, but pick an area or profession. Don’t say your character knows how to ride, say he was a “knight” or “courier” or “horse thief,” which covers other skills and tasks relevant to the background (heraldry, endurance, animal appraisal, etc.).
We are going to hold off on Specialties for now.

Starting Languages: Languages are available as normal. I am giving you the option of leaving one or more bonus languages “undeclared,” and declare your character happens to know a language when it is first encountered.

Starting Hit Points: Maximum for 1st level, rolled thereafter. I will reroll any 1s.

Starting Items & Money: You have 400gp for gear, provisions, etc. You may “purchase” consumable magic items (scrolls or potions) for 150gp each (150gp per spell level for scrolls), subject to approval. If you’re feeling lucky, you can get a randomly selected consumable for 75gp. NOTE: This is for character creation, not market prices!
Go with a smile!
Joe the Rat

Re: Character Creation Thread

Post by Joe the Rat »

Starting out: Players pick from the array below in the following order:
Hywaywolf
jcm
Solomoriah
Blazeguard
SmootRK
_________ (open slot?)
Joe the Rat (maybe)
When you pick your score set, post which row you are taking, and your race and class. You can post your score swap now, or tell me later.

Remember you are starting with 3000xp. If you want to learn a cantrip or orison (for non magic-users and non-clerics, respectively), and have at least a 13 in the appropriate attribute, you can give up 500 of your starting experience points to do so.

The score array:

Code: Select all

Row Str:  Int: Wis:  Dex:  Con: Chr:
1	 16	11	 14	 13	 8	 9
2	 10	7	  10	 12	 18	15
3	 7	 10	 16	 14	 13	10
4	 13	9	  11	 17	 10	10
5	 13	12	 6	  17	 10	15  - jcm
6	 13	8	  16	 9	  13	11
7	 8	 15	 13	 16	 10	12
8	 17	16	 10	 7	  12	11
9	 16	13	 10	 9	  11	10
10	11	17	 14	 9	  10	12  - Blazeguard
11	8	 13	 8	  16	 17	12
12	13	12	 14	 13	 11	9   - Solomoriah
13	10	12	 9	  13	 9	 16
14	13	16	 11	 9	  17	5   - Hywaywolf
15	9	 14	 9	  10	 15	13
16	10	14	 13	 11	 8	 17
17	11	10	 14	 12	 13	13
18	11	8	  11	 13	 13	17
19	18	9	  12	 8	  11	14  - SmootRK
20	14	13	 17	 11	 10	8
Go with a smile!
Hywaywolf

Post by Hywaywolf »

oh, I thought rolling a 1 was a bad thing lol. I thought I was going last.

Anyhoo, I will take row 14 and swap int & dex. (19 will make someone a great fighter if you swap dex or con with cha)

When considering a combination class, does "You may take the best BAB, saves, and traits of each class" mean that a halfling cleric/thief can used non-blunt weapons and 1d6 hd? Also, thief options refers to the supplement rather than the thief customization on page 142?

At any rate, I will be playing halfling thief (perhaps with a cleric combo)
Joe the Rat

Post by Joe the Rat »

Yeah, my rolling was totally for the birds. That and I wanted to use "99" rather than "-1" for mine.

Ah yes, the dreaded halfling cleric-thief. I hadn't though about it - mainly because it's not a standard multiclass option. You would get the d6 HD, though I might hybridize the weapon load-out. Let me mull on that one a bit.

and yes, I was referring to the Thief Options supplement. Let's stick to the standard progression for now, and revisit custom assignment the next time a thief levels up.
Go with a smile!
jcm

Post by jcm »

I'll take row 5 with the scores as-is, human fighter/thief.
Solomoriah
Site Admin

Post by Solomoriah »

Row 12, swap wis and con, human fighter.

EDIT: Here's where I'm starting:

Hamish Wolfwynn
Human Fighter
Str 13 +1
Int 12
Wis 11
Dex 13 +1
Con 14 +1
Cha 9
My personal site: www.gonnerman.org
Blazeguard

Post by Blazeguard »

I'll take row 10 and swap Wisdom and Constitution for an Elven Magic-User.
The problem with doing something really stupid to impress people is that they may just be impressed by how stupid you really are.
Joe the Rat

Post by Joe the Rat »

Nice. now I can use ghouls :twisted:

Hyway, I'm going to allow for thief/cleric if you like, but I'm going to have you use the Druid weapon and armor options. That'll allow up to studded leather. Have you ever considered the blessings of the Selenian faith? :mrgreen:

One more thing: When you start putting your characters together, work on a backstory - a little personal history, and some explanation for why you ended up in the Wildlands. (Note: this doesn't have to be intentional). If you want to work with a Background, give it a title line. PM me if you're planning on starting with a scrolls or potions - particularly if you want to try your luck.

Oh, first one to make a character sheet sets the format. Go!
Go with a smile!
Hywaywolf

Post by Hywaywolf »

Druids may not utilize metal armor of any type, and they are likewise limited to wooden shields. Druids utilize any one-handed melee weapon, as well as staff, sling, and shortbow.
So if I choose to combine cleric/thief then that's my armor and weapon restrictions? Is studded leather 14 ac?
SmootRK

Post by SmootRK »

I will go for that 18 found on row 19! Swapping STR and DEX for:

Str 8, Int 9, Wis 12, Dex 18, Con 11, Chr 14
Human Bard (unless perhaps you are game for a Halfling one?)
Is it really the end, not some crazy dream?