3.5) The pilgrimage of Ravoneth.

Jandolar's forum for his adventures in Undermountain.

Moderator: Jandolar

Jandolar

Re: 3.5) The pilgrimage of Ravoneth.

Post by Jandolar »

((I can't find Yartar on the map. It looks as though you can either head south towards Loudwater and then west to Zelbross and continue on that route or travel almost due west between the Lost Peaks and Star Mounts. Hmmm, I have an idea))

Before leaving Ravoneth is brought a missive from the Grand Master it reads simply

Time is of the essence. Avoid confrontation if possible as is our way, if it is not possible end the conflict quickly and move on. I would recommend staying away from Loudwater due to it's unsightly nature, both the town and its inhabitants. Travel to the Star Mount and spend a day and night there in meditation beneath the ceiling of the world. The following morning travel to Secomber, there are good farm folks there and a small church. Please stop and visit there and meditate for a while before paying your respects to the clergy. They are not of our faith but are known as hardy and pious people. From there straight east avoiding Daggerdale and the dangers it presents. Once into Waterdeep find James and if all is well you two can take your time returning. Perhaps he'll listen to reason from you and you both can meditate at the Star Mounts again before returning. I'll not presume to dictate your trail as you are a free spirit and have free will to do as you will. This note is only a suggestion to avoid the unruly elements of mankind for a little while longer. Be well and safe diciple. Blessings upon you and your art, I will keep you both in my meditative prayers until we meet again in this life or the next.

Cealnith Qualinestril Sirithidanthanis 17th year Grand Master of Quenyar

The note is on plain inexpensive paper written in plain ink. Nothing about it bespeaks of any pride or monetary value. The full name signed at the end is full scripted with a loving hand.

If she follows the Grand Masters suggestion Ravoneth will have to live off the land for a while before she gets to a town. She will have to pack accordingly, perhaps the Weapons Master in the refuge will have some advice.
Oypeen- 30/30 Hp AC 24
Rykken- 24/24 Hp AC 20
Hermia- 39/39 Hp AC 18/20
Giovanni-40/40 Hp AC 22
Ravoneth-35/35 Hp AC 18
Maephina-30/30 Hp AC 16/18
http://mapmatic.basicfantasy.org/index. ... &mapid=360
Woe

Post by Woe »

(Yartar is west of Lost Peaks about where that white line joins from Lost Peaks to the road. It's not marked on this map -- I guess I saw a different one last night.)

The words of the Grand Master are blessed. After reading the letter, Ravoneth will toss it into a nearby fire pit. She will visit Master Raenion and ask for her suggestions as to foraging in the wilderness, willingly sharing the Grand Master's path.
Freya HP 24/24 AC 16 (17 two weapons)
Kilian HP 20/20 AC 19 (18 no shield)
Talin HP 29 AC 16
Tiana HP 11 AC 12 SP 8/8
Fido HP 9/9 AC 16
Anna HP 12/12 AC 15 (19 defensively)
Bruce HP 20/20 AC 16 (15 no shield)

Red Oak map
Red Oak loot
Jandolar

Post by Jandolar »

That night as Ravoneth prepares for bed there comes a low comforting drone of a voice in prayer. Someone is up late meditating and singing in an ancient language and the sound carries like an auditory wave around the refuge. Deep baritone and silk smooth connotations reverberate through the Quenyar like a starlit sea on a calm night. Ravoneths sleep is deep and untroubled. She wakes fresh and ready for her first foray far outside the walls. Upon opening the simple door to her chamber she finds a small talisman hanging upon the outside latch. Carved from an Aspen core it is lightly silver in color at the edges and a subdued white in the middle. It is fashioned in the shape of a leaf from the tree which it was carved. Threaded through the hole in the branch of the leaf is a simple woven cord.

Heading out to the dining area to break fast with the others she is light on her feet and ready for what the day brings. The meal is healthy and plentiful. Afterwards Ravoneth goes to see Reanion at the weapons area. The elven weapons master is at her task early this day busily cleaning and repairing the training gear the students use each day. Upon seeing Ravoneth her deeply tanned face beams with a smile. Ravon so good to see you this morning! The clipped name is familiar as the weapons master never calls anyone by their full name, being close to 300 winters old does grant one some privilege after all. Reanions calloused and weathered hands still convey caring and compassion even though they are capable of breaking bones in combat. I heard you were leaving this morning and have set aside some things you'll need. First is a two handed sword, a sharpening stone and delicate oil Not too much oil on the blade or it'll collect dust. she advises. Next is an exceptionally made longbow and an extra bow string. I made this one myself a few years ago and I think it's one of the more accurate ones I've ever made. It'll serve you well.....mmmm you'll need a fletchers kit also. Retrieving a kt from the shelf she hands that over.

After fully outfitting the young half elf Reanion offers some last minute advice. Sharpen and oil your weapons daily. Just as you meditate and practice your art daily the weapons too need attention. Keep the bow unstrung when you think you won't need it, it'll double as a quarter staff in a pinch if you don't have time to string it before use. The bone caps at the bow ends are durable so you can use it as a walking stick in rough country. With a quick hug and a blessing she lets the young adept stow her gear before going back to the business of running her modest weapons area.

Blessings upon you Ravon!
Oypeen- 30/30 Hp AC 24
Rykken- 24/24 Hp AC 20
Giovanni-40/40 Hp AC 22
Ravoneth-35/35 Hp AC 18
Woe

Post by Woe »

"And upon you, Master Reanion." Ravoneth murmurs, but the weapons master is back into the thick of training a group of first years.

Ravoneth heads to the kitchen to pick up some provisions for her trip. The monks there prepare her a sack of waybread, assorted nuts, and apples, with water to nourish her thirst. She'll head to the south gate and after a final prayer to Corellon Larethian, heads out the southern gate. The last the Grand Master sees of her, Ravoneth is running full speed toward the Star Mounts.
Talin HP 29 AC 16
Tiana HP 11 AC 12 SP 8/8
Fido HP 9/9 AC 16

Red Oak map
Red Oak loot
Jandolar

Post by Jandolar »

Leaving the refuge behind Ravoneth sets a jogging pace that eats up the miles with ease. All those long years of training have given her an endurance to be envied. The sun reaches its zenith and still she runs, the evening shadows begin to grow and she is still in swift motion. Only when it becomes too dark to see properly does she slow, even then her walking pace makes distance from time. Long into the night she moves. Seeking shadows and light at whim she is silent and efficient in her travels. Near the midnight hour she digs into her pack for some more food and finds a waxed parchment package. Unwrapping it she finds a treat in the form of cured goats milk, rendered as if cheese, and coated in honey. The treat will give her the energy and stamina boost she needs to reach the Star Mounts that she can see in the moonlight ahead. At the foot of the mounts she finds an oft used trail to the lower reaches and continues on. A few hundred feet up the easy paths die off and there is nothing left to do but climb. Securing her gear Ravoneth dons thin leather gloves and begins the ascent. Hours later she arrives at the summit. She stands upon the highest peak of the Star Mounts. A flat spot large enough for her to pitch the traveling tent in her kit and light a fire from the fallen trees around her makes for a cozy and safe encampment. Facing west towards her goal she makes a healthy meal from her rations and settles in to eat. Weariness stalks the edges of her mind as a light from the east reveals the world around her. Turning she sees the false dawn begin as the sun comes up. Remembering her Grand Masters advice she settles in and begins her day and night of meditation. Tired as she is she soon finds that she is in such a meditative state that she is both awake and asleep, something only true elves are able to do. For 24 hours she sits in that spot unmoving, hearing everything that happens around her, seeing all and knowing what goes on near her without conscious thought to the why or how. When her trance ends she finds the fire has been tended and there is another tent near her own. A person in a worn traveling cloak sits facing her while cleaning a pheasant and rabbit. A massive longbow rests near at hand. Will you break fast with me this morning traveler? The voice is clipped and clear as if noble but coming from the bearded face of a human of probably 40 years wearing often patched leathers and shirt. I've not ever found another on my perch so high so I have a few questions, first we eat. Producing a skin the Ranger takes a small sip and offers it to Ravoneth.
Oypeen- 30/30 Hp AC 24
Rykken- 24/24 Hp AC 20
Giovanni-40/40 Hp AC 22
Ravoneth-35/35 Hp AC 18
Woe

Post by Woe »

Last edited by Woe on Tue Aug 05, 2014 9:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Talin HP 29 AC 16
Tiana HP 11 AC 12 SP 8/8
Fido HP 9/9 AC 16

Red Oak map
Red Oak loot
Woe

Post by Woe »

"I would be honored, Master Ranger." Ravoneth takes a sip from the waterskin and offers a slide from her waybread in return. "I did not hear you approach. My apologies for not welcoming you properly when you first arrived." Indeed, she's in awe that this human was able to approach unnoticed when she felt so complete with the environment. She's not sure whether the human is more than he seems, or her meditative state was just a dream. She reminds herself to keep her mind open to all possibilities and begins to dice two apples with her... um.... Unable to dice the apples, she proffers one to the ranger.

(btw, she's a vegetarian)
Talin HP 29 AC 16
Tiana HP 11 AC 12 SP 8/8
Fido HP 9/9 AC 16

Red Oak map
Red Oak loot
Jandolar

Post by Jandolar »

The skin is filled with ice cold water, pure and quenching of thirst it is probably from a stream near by although how it remains so cold is a mystery. He takes the slice of Waybread and takes a hearty bite obviously enjoying it. The Ranger notices the slight confusion concerning the young elfs attempt to find a knife to slice up the apples and gently slides his pack from behind him. Reaching in he produces a small knife suitable for such things and offers it to Ravoneth. Strangers such as us meeting in a setting such as this should trade gifts, the Code of the Ranger indicates thus. This knife is good for both cutting fruit and in the fletching of arrows. I am Fergus LongStride, Ranger of the 12th year and newly to this post near the High Forrest. Upon his cloak there is a silver clasp in the shape of an aspen leaf. Newly minted it seems to sparkle in the light of the fire.
Oypeen- 30/30 Hp AC 24
Rykken- 24/24 Hp AC 20
Giovanni-40/40 Hp AC 22
Ravoneth-35/35 Hp AC 18
Woe

Post by Woe »

"Thank you, Master LongStride. I am Ravoneth Pilgrim, of the Quaynar Refuge." She takes the offered knife and after dicing the apples, offers half to him. "I am on my way to Waterdeep, to meet a brother pilgrim there. I regret that I have naught to offer you save the waybread. I travel light, as we are wont to do."

His silver clasp ... how similar is the clasp to the aspen talisman that Ravoneth is wearing? The one she found outside her door prior to leaving?
Talin HP 29 AC 16
Tiana HP 11 AC 12 SP 8/8
Fido HP 9/9 AC 16

Red Oak map
Red Oak loot
Jandolar

Post by Jandolar »

Taking the apple pieces he chews for a second or so on thought. Waterdeep? It's a far run from here. I'd offer to go with you but I've been assigned here. I can run with you to he edge of the forest if you'd like.

(The clasp and your amulet are similar in that they are aspen leaves, a common theme, but they are not close enough in shape or size to indicate a connection.)
Oypeen- 30/30 Hp AC 24
Rykken- 24/24 Hp AC 20
Giovanni-40/40 Hp AC 22
Ravoneth-35/35 Hp AC 18