OCD Thread (All players)

Longman's hex-based exploration PBP campaign

Moderator: Longman

Longman

Re: OCD Thread (All players)

Post by Longman »

I am interested if you take Bruce's suggestion about taking the mirror off the wall. I mean, the one that is on the safe side, and has already been moved from somewhere else. You could remove it in a matter of hours.

Once you have done that you can tell me how you get back out of the forest. It shouldn't be too hard but you never know what the random encounter dice will turn up.

Then I can close the chapter.
Longman

LEVEL UPS

Post by Longman »

I've decided to make this easy and just say 10k exp for all characters - forget racial bonuses for Talin as his extra cost as a ranger matches his exp bonus anyway.

Tiana goes up a level. I'm pretty sure she took the average hp deal for levels 2 and 3. Does she want to take the average again for 4 and 5 or does she feel lucky?

Can she also adjust saves, to hit bonuses, and anything else required? Also, she gets to up an attribute by 1 point.

Reviewing Tiana's languages - she has elvish and common for free, plus sylvan as her language for having a +1 intelligence bonus. If she puts her intelligence up by 1 point, she''' get a free language spot. She could pick up up Salenish while on a winter break in Brant (3 months). That would make good sense. If you are not doing that, you'll have to wait til she is 6th level before the chance comes again to learn that language.

She now has 6 spell points plus her intelligence bonus. Also, she can learn another 2nd level spell and another 1st level spell as well, and another cantrip as well. So go nuts.

If you put her intelligence up, her spell points go up, but hr number of known spells doesn't.

No one else levels up except Anna. Anna goes to 4th (on 5k), and Bruce will have to wait til his mentor finally hits 4th level on 12k, so he can to go to 3rd at 6k.

You have all the treasure you indicated. Do you want to role-play selling it, or just cash out when you get somewhere good (Nore, or Brant)?

You also have a large number of magical items, and interesting artefects, for examination. There's actually a big latent exp bonus waiting when you do something with that stuff.

So, do you go to Red Oak, or skip town from the Carr's place. If you don't want to do the RP section, that's cool, we can handwave it. I just need to know if you check in or not.
Woe

Post by Woe »

Yay!

You're right. I'll have Tiana take the +1 on INT unless I go completely bonkers when I start bookkeeping. Thanks for helping with writing out what will change. Learning Salenish makes sense.

I'll have Talin meet the ROR for sure, since he hasn't been to Red Oak for a long time. It will likely take a bit of time to rent a coach anyway. Time for some RP! Besides, I want to learn about the paralyzed ranger and whether he recovered.

I'm thinking about moving base from Red Oak to Brant anyway, as I think it'd be likelier to get a safe house in Brant than Red Oak; people would ask less questions; better access to Ember; etc.
Freya HP 24/24 AC 16 (17 two weapons)
Kilian HP 20/20 AC 19 (18 no shield)
Talin HP 29 AC 16
Tiana HP 11 AC 12 SP 8/8
Fido HP 9/9 AC 16
Anna HP 12/12 AC 15 (19 defensively)
Bruce HP 20/20 AC 16 (15 no shield)

Red Oak map
Red Oak loot
Woe

Post by Woe »

Sorry for the delays. I have the kids alone this weekend, I'm trying to clean the "we don't know what to do with this so put it in the room with all the other stuff we don't know what to do with" and I'm switching jobs. I totally underestimated how tired I'd be by the end of these days. Talin's report might be a bit delayed. ;)
Talin HP 29 AC 16
Tiana HP 11 AC 12 SP 8/8
Fido HP 9/9 AC 16

Red Oak map
Red Oak loot
Woe

Re: LEVEL UPS

Post by Woe »

Longman wrote:I've decided to make this easy and just say 10k exp for all characters - forget racial bonuses for Talin as his extra cost as a ranger matches his exp bonus anyway.

Tiana goes up a level. I'm pretty sure she took the average hp deal for levels 2 and 3. Does she want to take the average again for 4 and 5 or does she feel lucky?
I'm not keeping track of experience, just levels. Tiana is only at level 4, right? The part you put about "and 5" confused me a bit. I went with the safe route (2) for level 4.
Can she also adjust saves, to hit bonuses, and anything else required? Also, she gets to up an attribute by 1 point.
And done.
Reviewing Tiana's languages - she has elvish and common for free, plus sylvan as her language for having a +1 intelligence bonus. If she puts her intelligence up by 1 point, she''' get a free language spot. She could pick up up Salenish while on a winter break in Brant (3 months). That would make good sense. If you are not doing that, you'll have to wait til she is 6th level before the chance comes again to learn that language.
Brilliant. Maybe she'll learn how to build an army of robots too. :)
She now has 6 spell points plus her intelligence bonus. Also, she can learn another 2nd level spell and another 1st level spell as well, and another cantrip as well. So go nuts.
That's 6+2=8 spell points. Yowza! She'll be firing webs all day soon.

I'm a little confused about spells though. I forgot a key piece of information -- whether I can choose anything in the BFRPG rulebook as well as the options. I recall you said fireball is not an option. While she's not eligible for that yet anyway, am I free to choose any other spell in the rulebook? The reason I'm confused is because Floating Disc and Shield are on her list and not listed in Elf Magic. If so, level 1 could be different. I'll go with, in order of preference,
1. Detect magic (Abigal can teach her), magic missile (pew pew!), sleep (great for goblins)
If not, I'll go with
0. Knot
1. Run fast
2. Wizard lock

What does Shatter do?
No one else levels up except Anna. Anna goes to 4th (on 5k), and Bruce will have to wait til his mentor finally hits 4th level on 12k, so he can to go to 3rd at 6k.
Killian really needs to bring it up a notch.
You have all the treasure you indicated. Do you want to role-play selling it, or just cash out when you get somewhere good (Nore, or Brant)?
I'll go with the cash out using small amounts per vendor and no role playing after Rillow examines everything. Maybe she'll have some insights as to something the party missed.

If Kilian/Bruce melt down the coins into gold ingots, would that be worth more or less? I'd rather sell a slab of melted gold than one hundred historic sovereigns.
You also have a large number of magical items, and interesting artefects, for examination. There's actually a big latent exp bonus waiting when you do something with that stuff.
Rillow, get ready for your grand entrance.
Talin HP 29 AC 16
Tiana HP 11 AC 12 SP 8/8
Fido HP 9/9 AC 16

Red Oak map
Red Oak loot
Woe

Post by Woe »

Do you want me to post the Coll/RP in the current thread or do you want to kick off an interlude thread? Also, do you want me to incorporate anything that's happened to the area or just focus on the Coll/Talin interaction in the first post and we go from there?
Talin HP 29 AC 16
Tiana HP 11 AC 12 SP 8/8
Fido HP 9/9 AC 16

Red Oak map
Red Oak loot
Longman

Post by Longman »

You've been posting like a Trojan lately. I'm lucky to have such an involved player.

I'll get to all your questions soon. Hope the job swap works out well.

I have kids for the school holidays, starting today. If they don't clean their rooms, they get no friends over. That usually solves that problem pretty fast.
Longman

Post by Longman »

In answer:

Tiana can only take what is on the Elf Magic list. The reason you can't see Floating Disc and Shield is because you started with those, plus the animation spell, and I only listed spells you didn't already have.

The 1st level spells remaining are Enlarge a Token Object, Run Fast, and Steer Missile or Weapon. You have numerous 2nd level choices.

Shatter allows you to smash stuff. 60 foot range, anything up to 40 pounds in weight, it must make a save vs death ray as a 1hd creature, or its trashed. It's imported from 1e, but unlike the 1e version, it will work on metal, stone and wood as well. The item must be a single item and not part of a larger structure.

Melting the coins down is fine. That's probably a lot easier than explaining where you got a bunch of ancient coins from. Value the same.

RP in current thread, new thread kicks in when you start out for Brant. Ranger boss's name is Emlin Moss. Coll is another ranger.

I'm about to post in the play thread.
Woe

Post by Woe »

Just a quick update -- I'm still working on this. What I didn't realize with my earlier estimate was, I'm recapping /two/ threads not one. Before we did the looking glass, we did the "find the castle fend off the assault from the goblins jane died etc" thread. It's roughly 44+27 pages of posts.

AND I'M GOING TO SUMMARIZE! :)

I want to. It's somewhat necessary for the story/adventure, since a) I forgot last time and Emlin is unhappy ;); and more importantly b) it's important for the story. Hopefully you don't mind but I'm going to need a bit more time. Not a lot, and I'm still working on it. I have a side doc that I'm copying over when I have enough "good stuff" to make it useful. Hopefully you don't mind a little bit more time.

Oddly, the whole adventure was insane in a good way. 44+27 pages starting eight months ago, all representing only two-ish weeks of travel time!
Talin HP 29 AC 16
Tiana HP 11 AC 12 SP 8/8
Fido HP 9/9 AC 16

Red Oak map
Red Oak loot
Longman

RECAPPING

Post by Longman »

A recap would be great. This is an excellent opportunity to do it.

If the whole issue with Emlin is bothering you, you can just quit the rangers and leave Red Oak. Or, leave Talin and Anna in Red Oak, while the rest go to Brant over the winter.

I see the main direction of the game as:

Try to get further into Malagosbe
Stop the Old Man from getting what he wants in there
Find the Well of Souls.
Find the Great South Road made by the dwarves long ago.
Find lost relics of the Dwarvish War Magic, so Kilian can get some spells, finally
Find the way to Teleport back into the Moonglade, without crossing thousands of miles of forest to get in there.

Those agendas are all connected and not in any set order. So that's the story. There's a lot of different ways to go about telling it, though. Hopefully it's not a railroad, so much as an underground rail network.