The Lounge

Formerly the play-by-post forum for my TSGS Space Force game, now the private forum for development of the new Space Force Science Fiction RPG game. I've retained the entirety of the original game threads here, to be mined for possible content. See the introductory post for more information.
Hywaywolf

Re: Retro Sci-Fi Game

Post by Hywaywolf »

I was once on a french submarine where each bunk (enlisted men) slept 3 crew - 1 on watch, 1 on duty, and 1 sleeping. Then they would switch. The COs bunk was basically a twin bed situated in a crook of the passage with nothing but a curtain to separate it from the crew. This was an active duty sub in 1980. I can see where we might have to share bunks. But my belief is that each crew would have an acceleration couch/bunk for when the ship is maneuvering.

There are two types of spaceships. The kind that never enters an atmosphere and.or gravity well, and those that can land on a planet. The planetary ones have to concern themselves with size and weight vs. availble power to reach orbit. The space bound ones are less concerned with weight/size. BTW, do we have artificial gravity or will we be floating whenever we aren't under power. The configuration of the ship makes it look like artificial gravity. If we haven't developed that yet, then the ship should probably be built more like a tall building with each compartment being on its own deck with a ladder well running through the center of the ship.
SmootRK

Post by SmootRK »

Hywaywolf wrote:I was once on a french submarine where each bunk (enlisted men) slept 3 crew - 1 on watch, 1 on duty, and 1 sleeping. Then they would switch. The COs bunk was basically a twin bed situated in a crook of the passage with nothing but a curtain to separate it from the crew. This was an active duty sub in 1980. I can see where we might have to share bunks. But my belief is that each crew would have an acceleration couch/bunk for when the ship is maneuvering.

There are two types of spaceships. The kind that never enters an atmosphere and.or gravity well, and those that can land on a planet. The planetary ones have to concern themselves with size and weight vs. availble power to reach orbit. The space bound ones are less concerned with weight/size. BTW, do we have artificial gravity or will we be floating whenever we aren't under power. The configuration of the ship makes it look like artificial gravity. If we haven't developed that yet, then the ship should probably be built more like a tall building with each compartment being on its own deck with a ladder well running through the center of the ship.
I served in US Navy on submarine (USS Chicago, Los Angeles Class SSN). When I first arrived, I had a bunk right next to a torpedo (which is incidentally ice cold metal) and on the other side next to another bunk. I had to crawl over the legs of crewmate to get to my bunk... but at least I had my own bunk (as did each crewmember). That said, the space for each crewman is limited to basically that bunk.

I can only imagine the personal space on a ship built for space travel would be even more limited.
Is it really the end, not some crazy dream?
SmootRK

Post by SmootRK »

The star frontiers ship style works well for the whole retro-sci-fi style. It uses the tower on-its-side style of floorplan.. gravity occurs when ship accelerates and again when it decelerates (after a turn-about). They land on the ground upright so that there is normal gravity/ship orientation when on the ground.

here is one image, I am sure a google search could find more:
Is it really the end, not some crazy dream?
Hywaywolf

Post by Hywaywolf »

true, but the gravity on mars is 1/3rd of that on earth. The moon is 1/6 of earth. And the satalites orbitting mars are even lower. It would be much easier to build a larger ship in space than it would be to build one in a gravity well.

Thats stacked design is what I was talking about if we don't have artificial gravity. I am hoping that Chris has us finding artificial gravity technology on mars lol.
Woe

Post by Woe »

Happy to serve on the Pegasus. When do we show up for pre-launch?
Freya HP 24/24 AC 16 (17 two weapons)
Kilian HP 20/20 AC 19 (18 no shield)
Talin HP 29 AC 16
Tiana HP 11 AC 12 SP 8/8
Fido HP 9/9 AC 16
Anna HP 12/12 AC 15 (19 defensively)
Bruce HP 20/20 AC 16 (15 no shield)

Red Oak map
Red Oak loot
Solomoriah
Site Admin

Post by Solomoriah »

Woe wrote:Happy to serve on the Pegasus. When do we show up for pre-launch?
How about... now?

Julius, you're on!
My personal site: www.gonnerman.org
Solomoriah
Site Admin

Re: The Lounge

Post by Solomoriah »

... this is now the OOC thread ...
Woe

Post by Woe »

I have a question about life on a SDF spacecraft. I'm drawing from 2001, Event Horizon, the Europa Report as similar situations.

Earth will be far away. We'll be all alone in deep space. What can we do to pass the boredom? We could ask for a lot of VTR media, but that's expensive and bulky. Books are equally expensive and bulky. We will probably have all sorts of drills (Captain's prerogative) but there's going to be a lot of down time and I'm not sure what the brass at HQ think what else we'll be doing. We'll get very bored of 52 card pickup after the umpteenth attempt of playing in low-G.

After all, I care about the crew's health -- physical, mental, and emotional.
Freya HP 24/24 AC 16 (17 two weapons)
Kilian HP 20/20 AC 19 (18 no shield)
Talin HP 29 AC 16
Tiana HP 11 AC 12 SP 8/8
Fido HP 9/9 AC 16
Anna HP 12/12 AC 15 (19 defensively)
Bruce HP 20/20 AC 16 (15 no shield)

Red Oak map
Red Oak loot
Solomoriah
Site Admin

Post by Solomoriah »

Onboard gravity is usually set at an average 1 G. It does vary noticeably with height... push ups suck.

As far as entertainment goes... each character has about 75 pounds of discretionary weight allowance (which must include uniforms but not issued gear like weapons or rations). You have to figure out for yourselves what to take and how to kill time.
Solomoriah
Site Admin

Post by Solomoriah »

Plot update...

1. Holding for Finn's reaction to being thrown up against the wall and disarmed.
2. Holding for Castle's response to Doc Grimm's commentary.

I just updated Steele's plotline, so I think I'm up to date now.