Miscellaneous Notes

Formerly the play-by-post forum for my TSGS Space Force game, now the private forum for development of the new Space Force Science Fiction RPG game. I've retained the entirety of the original game threads here, to be mined for possible content. See the introductory post for more information.
Solomoriah
Site Admin

Miscellaneous Notes

Post by Solomoriah »

Tethering Procedures:

Each Space Force spacesuit has an integrated carabiner on the belt to connect a tether to:

At each end of a standard fifty yard tether is a clip:

Just behind the clip at each end is an aluminum ball. The ball allows the end of the tether to be thrown, and acts as a stop if the belt carabiner is clipped to the tether instead of to the tether clip. For example, a spaceman might clip one end of a tether to his own spaceship, and then having crossed to a satellite, might clip the other end there. With his belt carabiner clipped to the tether itself, he can travel back and forth between ship and satellite easily. Even if one end or the other of the tether is unhooked, it won't slip out of the belt carabiner because of the ball stop.

Inside the airlock of any Space Force ship is a cabinet full of carefully packed tethers, and an electric winch into which a tether may be linked. The clip and ball assembly slips into a slot in the side of the winch pulley, out of the way of the tether as it's being drawn in. The winch has a folding handle for manual use in case of electrical failure, and the entire side of the pulley can be quickly removed to permit removal of a tether without unwinding it (so that multiple tethers can be drawn in quickly).

The outer 3' of a standard Space Force airlock has no gravity plating, and gravity falls off quickly in that area. There are several tethering loops arranged on either side of the airlock hatch inside, and on the outside near the "open" side of the airlock (usually the aft edge).
My personal site: www.gonnerman.org