The Signal (Episode 3)

Formerly the play-by-post forum for my TSGS Space Force game, now the private forum for development of the new Space Force Science Fiction RPG game. I've retained the entirety of the original game threads here, to be mined for possible content. See the introductory post for more information.
Solomoriah
Site Admin

Re: Episode 3: A Routine Survey

Post by Solomoriah »

Driscoll had a nasty headache, but Amanda decided his condition wasn't as bad as she first thought; he could probably return to duty, so long as she was able to monitor his condition.

Scott determined that the forward console was helm, the single portside console was navigation, the forward starboard console was an engineering console and the remaining starboard rear console was communications. There seemed to be no computer console; rather, it appeared that all the displays were run directly by the ship's computer.

The crew members were all busy at their chosen tasks when they heard a thump. It seemed to come from the area of the airlock. "What the hell?" came Steele's voice over the radio. "I guess the hull isn't steel... my boots don't stick to it. Stand by." After a brief delay, he continued, "I've clamped the tether to the open hatch... don't close it until I remove the clamp." After a few more moments, Steele continued, "Your suits are in the airlock. Now, we need to discuss a plan. Is there any way we can get this ship home? Can we operate its wormhole generator? Can we fly it at all? Options, people."
My personal site: www.gonnerman.org
Hywaywolf

Post by Hywaywolf »

"perhaps we can have Pegasis open a wormhole but not enter then drive this new ship into the wormhole? Then pegasis can follow after?" offers Scott.
Solomoriah
Site Admin

Post by Solomoriah »

"I take it that means you think you can control the maneuvering thrusters, then? But not the wormhole generator?"
Hywaywolf

Post by Hywaywolf »

"We could probably figure out how to open a wormhole, but setting the destination may be problematical. If nothing else you can use those awesome piloting skills and push us into it ;) "
Solomoriah
Site Admin

Post by Solomoriah »

"Mister Scott," said Steele sternly, "I'm not sure I like your tone. I'm going to disengage the tether now; please retrieve your spacesuits, and Lieutenant Scott is to join me on Pegasus ASAP. There are a number of ship's systems that require the attention of the engineer. I understand Lieutenant Driscoll is injured, so Doctor, you'll be staying aboard our prize to attend to him. Ms. Frisk, as I understand it, you're the only one who can read the alien script, so you will also remain aboard the alien vessel. As soon as Mister Scott assures me that Pegasus is shipshape, I'll be setting course for home. Oh, and Doctor, please return with Scott so I can send you back with supplies for the trip, since I assume there's nothing fit for human consumption aboard that ship."
Mint

Post by Mint »

"I've labeled the maneuvering thrusters Captain. Driscoll could probably use them to position the ship but it's anyone's guess how they operate and I wouldn't want to try it without at least some testing. I'll continue with my labeling and working on my lexicon unless you have something else you'd prefer I looked into." said Samantha.
Hywaywolf

Post by Hywaywolf »

Scott grumbles to himself, "Back to the Pegasus where there will be no fun at all." Scott closes the outer lock, opens the inner and brings in the suits. Gets in his suit and as soon as the doc is ready he will hook on a safety line and launch himself toward the Pegasus.
Woe

Post by Woe »

"Yessir, I'll see you soon sir." Amanda says briskly. You can almost hear the salute in her voice, Looking to Samantha, she winks and says, "Don't go anywhere without me!" She'll join Scott in the airlock and put on her suit and help Scott with his. I'm not stating it, but properly cycling the airlock is both obvious and essential. :D

-------------------------------------
It might be too late to retcon this, but if I can...
"Sir, I can think of a few options. If we can get life support working, we can take the ship out to the outer system and wait for you and Space Force tech to return. Or, we can land back on the surface and try to hold out long enough for you to return. And as Scott said, if Driscoll gets healthy enough we can try to piggyback on the Pegasus's nullspace projection. I don't want to be the first to try alien jump technology, especially if we can't get navigation online.

-------------------------------------
"We should name the ship. How about we name it after the USS Enterprise (CV-6), the aircraft carrier from WW2? It's a proud name with a proud lineage. I don't care if the brass renames it later. We can't keep calling it 'the ship'."
Freya HP 24/24 AC 16 (17 two weapons)
Kilian HP 20/20 AC 19 (18 no shield)
Talin HP 29 AC 16
Tiana HP 11 AC 12 SP 8/8
Fido HP 9/9 AC 16
Anna HP 12/12 AC 15 (19 defensively)
Bruce HP 20/20 AC 16 (15 no shield)

Red Oak map
Red Oak loot
Solomoriah
Site Admin

Post by Solomoriah »

Lieutenant Scott stared in shock and disbelief at the computer console on the bridge of the Pegasus. It had been reduced to its most basic components, then rewired in an apparently random fashion... it would take days to reassemble correctly, if it were even possible at all.

Steele put a hand on the engineer's shoulder. "Don't worry about it, Lieutenant. We can navigate home the old-fashioned way. What I really need you to do is to restore the video feed from the multiscope so I can sight in on our target stars going home. At least the gyrocompass appears unharmed, and they didn't do much in the engine room."

The words "didn't do much" rang in his ears as he checked the condition of the reactor. It was, in fact, working fine, but several electronics panels had been opened and he could see evidence of tampering. As he carefully worked the carcass of one of the spider-bots out of the wiring of one panel, all he could think was that it was going to be a long trip home.

---------------------

Enterprise, thought Samantha, taking a break from her attempts to access the ship's computer library. It's silly to rename the ship, when it already has a name. She wondered if she should tell the crew that the ship's name translated into English was Bright Moment.

---------------------

"Captain Driscoll, this is Captain Steele," came the radio call. Driscoll wasn't sure what Doctor Grimm had given him, but his head no longer hurt (unless he touched it) and he felt positively energized. Other than some dizziness when he stood up, he felt fine. And hearing "Captain" before his name felt pretty good too, even if it was just a temporary situation. "Scott assures me that we're shipshape over here, so if you're ready, let's go home."

It was the work of a few minutes for Steele to target Iota Persei and activate Pegasus' wormhole generator, and the Bright Moment slipped into nullspace.

((( and the credits roll! this episode is over! )))
((( i've decided the title theme for this series is Telstar, as performed by the Ventures. here's my favored rendition: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D6DmtPQ ... 6DmtPQv7V8 )))