Off Course (Episode 4)

Formerly the play-by-post forum for my TSGS Space Force game, now the private forum for development of the new Space Force Science Fiction RPG game. I've retained the entirety of the original game threads here, to be mined for possible content. See the introductory post for more information.
Solomoriah
Site Admin

Off Course (Episode 4)

Post by Solomoriah »

Starring
chiisu81 as Lieutenant Nathan Driscoll
Woe as Doctor Amanda Grimm
Mint as Samantha Frisk
My personal site: www.gonnerman.org
Solomoriah
Site Admin

Re: Off Course (Episode 4)

Post by Solomoriah »

The crew of the Enterprise (or perhaps "Bright Moment" depending on who was speaking) had settled into an awkward routine by the fourth day, sleeping on the hard, yet surprisingly comfortable alien "beds," eating field rations, and using a portable camp toilet (since no one had managed to figure out the ship's sanitary closet). Driscoll, though far from fully recovered, was clear-headed; Grimm had judged him fit for light duty. Amanda spent her days studying the various consoles, learning how to use the ship's sophisticated computer system (which she discovered substituted for its library, explaining the lack of anything resembling a book on board). She was cramming as much studying as she could into every waking moment, convinced that once the ship reached Sol she'd never see it again.

The jump from Gliese 67 to Iota Persei would take just a couple of hours short of five full days, so as Doctor Grimm prepared for bed that evening she wasn't expecting any surprises. She checked on Driscoll, seated in the wide command chair; he was studying the controls and indicators on the movable console attached to the seat. Samantha was at the engineering console, tracing a diagram on the screen with one finger while simultaneously scribbling in her notebook.

Just as Grimm was about to ask Driscoll how he was feeling, a question he was getting rather tired of, she noticed the lighting in the room had changed subtly. Looking around, she saw the previously-blank viewscreen was now illuminated by a pale blue light near its center.

It was the far end. Thirteen hours, fifteen minutes early, according to her chronograph.
Woe

Post by Woe »

"Captain! We're coming out of nullspace early! Look!" She points at the viewscreen. She turns to Samantha at the engineering station. "Samantha, are we off course?"

I really have to come up with better lines. :)
Freya HP 24/24 AC 16 (17 two weapons)
Kilian HP 20/20 AC 19 (18 no shield)
Talin HP 29 AC 16
Tiana HP 11 AC 12 SP 8/8
Fido HP 9/9 AC 16
Anna HP 12/12 AC 15 (19 defensively)
Bruce HP 20/20 AC 16 (15 no shield)

Red Oak map
Red Oak loot
Woe

Post by Woe »

Since we've had four days on the ship, has Amanda learned anything interesting about the civilization which made it, or has Samantha been able to teach the computer usage/language to the rest of the team?

Also, can we get an updated map? For example, I don't know where the beds are in the original map.
Talin HP 29 AC 16
Tiana HP 11 AC 12 SP 8/8
Fido HP 9/9 AC 16

Red Oak map
Red Oak loot
chiisu81

Post by chiisu81 »

Driscoll, still feeling a little foggy in the brain, snaps out of his stupor at Grimm's words. Since Grimm has already asked for a position report, he'll only bark the following: "Full stop!"
Mint

Post by Mint »

Samantha, interrupted from her continued work on her lexicon, looked up for a moment and flips her screen to a new data output staring at it momentarily. "We are definitely not headed to the Sol system if we're coming out of hyper already."

Samantha goes back to her work after making a mental note to quickly learn how to use the facilities. This business of using a camp toilette is truly uncivilized after all and her longing for a real shower is beginning to assume epic proportions.
Last edited by Mint on Mon Jun 08, 2015 10:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
Woe

Post by Woe »

Wait, maybe I'm missing something. Isn't the blue dot the end of the wormhole, not a blue sun? We don't know where we're ejecting yet, do we? And full stop during nullspace is a bad idea, isn't it?
Talin HP 29 AC 16
Tiana HP 11 AC 12 SP 8/8
Fido HP 9/9 AC 16

Red Oak map
Red Oak loot
Solomoriah
Site Admin

Post by Solomoriah »

The far end has just now appeared; there is no way to identify what star is on the other side. Are you off course? Almost certainly, according to what all three of your characters know about wormhole travel. But until the ship exits the far end, you won't really know anything.

Samantha has found very little in the ship's computer which would be in any way revealing about the creatures who built it. Other than having a fairly good idea of their visual and auditory range, that is. She did find star maps which tend to indicate that their civilization is centered more than a thousand light years away, but the identity of the actual star that is their origin is not obvious.

Though Samantha has been able to explain the simpler (i.e. more obvious) controls to the other crew members, their language is so alien that she has been unable to teach the others more than a handful of words.
Solomoriah
Site Admin

Post by Solomoriah »

Woe wrote:Wait, maybe I'm missing something. Isn't the blue dot the end of the wormhole, not a blue sun? We don't know where we're ejecting yet, do we? And full stop during nullspace is a bad idea, isn't it?
Accurate on all counts. But you can't "full stop" in a wormhole, as you are already stopped... it's space itself (well, a bubble of collapsing spacetime) carrying you forward.
Woe

Post by Woe »

Pausing to let the captain and scientist change their responses. I'm just glad I'm inside the ship this time. :)
Talin HP 29 AC 16
Tiana HP 11 AC 12 SP 8/8
Fido HP 9/9 AC 16

Red Oak map
Red Oak loot