Chapter 1: Snowblind

SerGavin's forum for his play-by-post game.

Moderator: SerGavin

SerGavin

Chapter 1: Snowblind

Post by SerGavin »

A fresh layer of snow coats the twilit forest. Pines frosted white are outlined by the setting sun and icicles like deadly daggers cling to their branches. the cold permeates everything every surface covered in hoar frost brittle and white. A single plume of smoke rises in the distance as snowflakes, like tiny patterned feathers, gently twirl down enveloping the ground in a deadly embrace. And eagle cries overhead as, outlined against the snow, a train of figure trudges on along the ground. It is two cold to talk, even breathing scrapes the lungs with icy daggers so they continue on in monotony. They leave deep impressions in the snow a trail leading back, miles and miles, slowly but surely disappearing under the constant silent onslaught of the snow.

Clouds of breath rhythmically form around the mouths of the figures, trailing back behind them as the winds pick up and steal it from them vanishing toward the sunset. the travellers are weary but press on knowing that to stop now is to die alone and forgotten in the tundra, their body soon to be buried under a soft blanket of snow, taking them, forever.

Eventually, the source of the trail is revealed, a small village, no more than twenty houses. Houses made with stone and wood, as thatch would freeze over and stone will not warp. The smoke lazily curls up around a tall stone chimney, the tallest structure in the settlement. shoddily shored up with metal. now that they look closer the whole village is built badly, the stones ill fitting and the wood roughly joined. A flag may once have fluttered atop the chimney but now sits still, frozen in a still visage. A golden bull outlined against a red field. Obviously to all present as the symbol of Racoa.

Wearily and with much satisfaction the travellers file into the tavern, A leaning assortment of wooden beams as stone buttresses, patchwork repairs that suggest that the cold is not the only enemy faced by the locals. it is nevertheless warm and inviting.

( Describe your character entering, you are not here of your own free will. the only reason you have not run from your captors is that deviating from the path is certain death. it is a hundred miles to the nearest settlement. your captors all carry weapons but are to orderly to be Racoan soldiers and not orderly enough to be Kardrens. for the moment you must humour them.)

"All right you lot" says the grizzled leader of your captors, "Its been a long few weeks so tonight I'm allowing you to drink,That includes you as well our unwilling guests so I suggest that you enjoy it." He gestures towards a table in the corner, "stay over there, keep relatively quiet, and the drinks are on me."
"If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of Giants."
Lord Gilbard

Re: Chapter 1: Snowblind

Post by Lord Gilbard »

A hooded figure carrying a staff and a spell book, immediately steps out of line and makes a b-line for the warmth of the hearth. He pulls up a stool and begins to thaw out his frosted clothing and ice coated satchel. He removes his cloak and upon drying it out lays it across his lap as an extra layer of warmth in the cold flagged tavern.

He then lights his pipe, and begins to blow smoke wrings that envelop the flames of the hearth but then Phantasmally merge with the grey whips already drifting slowly upwards from the crackling embers...

He calls out to the other travellers in the party "so you lot, what do they call you all? Now that we have some time to talk without freezing our tongues off!
UTINI!!!
-1warrior

Post by -1warrior »

"You may call me Aaron" one of the figures says, raising his face to reveal a scowling visage. "There is not much else I can say about myself."
Magic Items... Sold Dirt Cheap!

My job is to archive all of Hyway's awesome parodies. ;)
Nightwulf

Post by Nightwulf »

Simon looks to his captor "Th-thank y-you s-s-sir." He walks over to the bench orders an ale and sits down. He drinks long and slow feeling a steady warmth flow through him. He looks at the wizard "I s-see y-your a wi-wizard. Might I ask y-y-your nnname?" he takes another drink.
Today you will meet a beautiful stranger. Actually hundreds of beautiful strangers. Everyone is beautiful and you know almost none of them.
~Welcome To Night Vale
Jandolar

Post by Jandolar »

Reese walks to the fire following the hooded man with the walking staff and pulls her pack off. Unwrapping her hair from around her neck she lets it fall to its full length (down past her waist) and quickly wrings the slush from it. Once she is partially dried out she heads to the table and lights her own pipe. Ordering a warmed dwarven ale the Halfling looks around the group. I'm Reese. I'll tell you for certain that it upsets me greatly that a scout, even a fledgling scout was caught and captured so easily. I'd love to know what they have in mind but right now that fire and a warm ale are far more important than speculation on my part. Looking from the halfelven female fighter to the human ranger and back. You two look similar....... relations? As her ale arrives she sips slowly while watching the actions of the other patrons to see if their arrival has caused any sort of disruption.
Oypeen- 30/30 Hp AC 24
Rykken- 24/24 Hp AC 20
Hermia- 39/39 Hp AC 18/20
Giovanni-40/40 Hp AC 22
Ravoneth-35/35 Hp AC 18
Maephina-30/30 Hp AC 16/18
http://mapmatic.basicfantasy.org/index. ... &mapid=360
-1warrior

Post by -1warrior »

"You have keen eyes" says Aaron.

Jandolar

Post by Jandolar »

Looking up at the over six foot tall man and into his piercing brown eyes Reese responds. I'm a Scout, observation is my stock and trade..... Ranger. Her black eyes twinkle a bit as she smiles.
Oypeen- 30/30 Hp AC 24
Rykken- 24/24 Hp AC 20
Hermia- 39/39 Hp AC 18/20
Giovanni-40/40 Hp AC 22
Ravoneth-35/35 Hp AC 18
Maephina-30/30 Hp AC 16/18
http://mapmatic.basicfantasy.org/index. ... &mapid=360
Nightwulf

Post by Nightwulf »

Simon looks over at Aaron. "W-wow a r-real R-ranger?! I-I've onnnly rea-read ab-bout you in b-b-books. My na-name is Si-simon."
Today you will meet a beautiful stranger. Actually hundreds of beautiful strangers. Everyone is beautiful and you know almost none of them.
~Welcome To Night Vale
-1warrior

Post by -1warrior »

"Yes, I suppose I am a real ranger if you want to call it that" says Aaron bitterly.

Nightwulf

Post by Nightwulf »

Simon blinks in surprise "S-sorry m-mister I-if I o-offen-n-ded y-you. I kn-know th-that I c-can b-b-be a little mu-mu-much some-t-times."
~Welcome To Night Vale