Chapter 5: All Aboard the Ark-Ari

A PbP version of J.D Neal's Lost World setting

Moderator: Longman

Longman

Re: Chapter 5: All Aboard the Ark-Ari

Post by Longman »

- :D amusing attempt, Jaali. But bear in miond there is already a captain, from the old crew, who has now been released. His name is Quong Li and he is an F4. Did you want to replace him somehow? Because he is a much better sailor than you...
mTeasdale

Post by mTeasdale »

Didn't catch that information. I'll aim for getting promoted to first mate then ;)

DM: Cool. I put up info in the background post threads detailing this stuff. If you want to apply for first mate, that would be awesome but can you do it in play? The original first mate is dead, so there is a vacancy there...

Answer : I'll keep that in mind. I will definitely apply in play when the opportunity will show up, a few days after we start sailing maybe.
Last edited by mTeasdale on Fri Mar 10, 2017 8:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
MevlyTM

Post by MevlyTM »

Maju realizes that he isn't much use to repair the ship; he only has one useful arm. Instead, he spends his time doing the following:

1. He will attempt to perform the ritual to gain a new familiar.
2. He will cast Read Languages to read the monkey book.
3. He will cast Detect Magic while looking around the ship - especially with Jab Afri's cabin and effects. He will also investigate Jab Afri's cabin for useful items.
Longman

Post by Longman »

The results of the magic item sweep are pretty clear. There is no magic stuff here that you didn't know about. (Hint: The pirate mage had all his magic stuff on him in the desert.) So you have retrieved all your former magic stuff. There was nothing in particular in the main cabin that has not already been factored into the overall loot.

The results of the summoning. You get a toad. Apparently he was living on the ship already and just tarts hanging out with you. You get 3 extra hit points and are impossible to surprise when he is close by (same range was your old familiar...)

The results of the book reading. Yeah, you can read it. Same weird language as was on the map at the old temple. I will post an account of it on the weekend detailing exactly what it says but for the time being, I can tell you that it is a log book about experiements, pumping the water from the well into captured monkeys, and trying to give them both sentience and immportality.
mTeasdale

Post by mTeasdale »

Jaali will work on the ship, working a bit harder when the captain's around.
Rhialto

Post by Rhialto »

Despite his misgivings about being able to leave, Rostam will work hard to help restore the ship.
Longman

Post by Longman »

Moving right along - -

Day 17

- Teruk departs after being given spare guns and a few shooting and loading lessons.
- More signs of fliers are seen in the jungle near to you. These are high in the sky. You know they come from the skull cult who captured Teruk's village. This happens at 2 in the afternoon. There are 2 of them, same as before. They are probably on magic flying items made of wood, shaped like birds. That is how the skull cult leaders and scouts get around.

Do you act? They are out of range of any spells or missiles, a half mile in the air. Also, Saracen's bird familiar seems to have vanished so you cannot even use that. If you have any ideas, let me know, or we'll move on with the day.
MevlyTM

Post by MevlyTM »

Do the fliers seem faster than the efreeti? Maju is mulling the idea of sending him to retrieve one (or both) of the fliers.
Longman

Post by Longman »

Um...your efreeti is gone...his bottle was left in the desert sands while he was still summoned... and he claimed his freedom ages ago.
Rhialto

Post by Rhialto »

Apart from staying extra alert when the flyers are visible, Rostam has no idea what to do about them. He will keep his bow close to where he is working on the ship.

Regarding the issue of whether ships can leave the island: what does the captain think about that? Is there anything unusual about the waters surrounding the island?