Chapter 5: All Aboard the Ark-Ari

A PbP version of J.D Neal's Lost World setting

Moderator: Longman

Longman

Re: Chapter 5: All Aboard the Ark-Ari

Post by Longman »

"If it were an ordinary animal, I could speak with it, in the morning", says Maroo. "But I doubt that spell will work. It seems there is no way to talk to it."

People stay on deck throughout the night, Rostam a permenent fixture in the watch. 2am rolls around and nothing happens.

At 6am on the following day, the creature becomes more active. It moves forward, considerably ahead of the boat, and then surfaces, making bellowing sounds. Now it definitely seems like it is trying to talk to you. Maju and the ship's captain both think it is trying to lead you somewhere, west along the line of reefs. This is roughly the direction you were going, anyway.
quozl

Post by quozl »

I believe this to be a good omen. Let us follow the dragon.
Rhialto

Post by Rhialto »

The dragon has patiently waited for us to lift anchor without causing any mischief. I for one am willing to trust it as a guide. Captain, what do you make of this?
mTeasdale

Post by mTeasdale »

"Captain, have you ever heard any legends about sea dragons ?"
Longman

Post by Longman »

The captain has heard many legends about sea dragons, as have several of the rest of you.

Some can speak sea trade, or other languages. It sounds like it may be currently speaking in some language but you do not know what. The Kappa Cleric Elias cannot understand it.

They are mostly solitary. Some know magic. They breath steam and are very dangerous when they attack ships. The reason why they attack is not clear. Maybe it's just their personality?

I'm leaving this for a day or so then assuming you follow it, seeing as this is the only statement of action I have is from the paladin who says he is prepared to follow it. The captain is prepared to follow it.
mTeasdale

Post by mTeasdale »

Jaali wants to follow it too.
MevlyTM

Post by MevlyTM »

Maju is more skeptical. Out of earshot of the dragon he says, "Dragons love treasure. Perhaps this creature is leading us into an ambush with the aim of gaining our cargo. Perhaps he can even sense what is in our holds."
Rhialto

Post by Rhialto »

Rostam is sceptical and whispers

He looks like he could have sunk the ship on his own any time at night. What does he gain from an ambush?
Longman

Post by Longman »

"Perhaps I can help", says the priestess Maroo. "I do not have the means to understand the creature, but I can find out if it means us harm".

(Casts Detect Evil, learned overnight).

"Hmmm. The creature is not purely good, or evil either. But I can discern that it means us no harm. There seems to be something it wants. I do not know what..."
Rhialto

Post by Rhialto »

OOC: detect evil is quite useful. Wouldn't it be great if we had a party member who could cast it at will? Oh, wait... :oops:

Sorry, I totally forgot about Rostam's ability. Anyway, he does trust in Maroo's assessment.

That settles it for me. Let us find out what the dragon wants. He may help us in turn to get away from the island.