Chapter 5: All Aboard the Ark-Ari

A PbP version of J.D Neal's Lost World setting

Moderator: Longman

Longman

Re: Chapter 5: All Aboard the Ark-Ari

Post by Longman »

Very well...

Unless anyone objects, the captain will follow Jaali's advice and slow the ship down, tacking back to float past the underwater pinnacles.

Will check back tommorow to see what's happened.
Rhialto

Post by Rhialto »

Rostam watches the mermaids with a frown but stays silent. After the dealings with the djinni, air elementals, and efreet, he is not too keen on another encounter with supernatural elemental forces. Still, maybe Jaali is right to ask the denizens of the sea about currents and navigation.
quozl

Post by quozl »

YC will go find some wax to put in his ears.

(So he's stopped singing? Phew.)
Longman

Post by Longman »

The captain soon has the ship turned about quite skillfully, and lowers several sails to float in towards the pinnacles. Jaali climbs down from the rigging, I presume. The monk finds wax to place in his ears.

When the ship approaches, a few mermaids surface (2) and more can be seen below.

The two above the water smile as the ship approaches. Your calls of greeting are not immediately answered. The sea-women just keep smiling.

Both of them are rather attractive.
MevlyTM

Post by MevlyTM »

When close enough, Maju would like to use ESP on the mermaids.
Longman

Post by Longman »

Once within 60' Maju casts ESP on the mermaids.

The effect is that he can now hear their thoughts, which turn out to be in a language he cannot presently understand. He thinks it has a few similarities to what he has heard the sea-elf say in his own tongue.

The mermaids attempt to converse, but do not seem too surprised when no one can understand them.

3 more merfolk surface, but they do some distance away from the ship, on the other side of the pinnacles area. They come up for air only briefly and then go back down again.

Now what? The creatures do not seem hostile and are observing you curiously but the language barrier is an issue.
MevlyTM

Post by MevlyTM »

Maju says, "Retrieve the sea elf. It seems their language may be similar. Perhaps we can motivate him to translate."

If he is able to translate, Maju will continue with the ESP to make sure he's not being dishonest.
Longman

Post by Longman »

While the sea-elf is being fetched by an obliging NPC, the sea-women seem to have settled on ROSTAM as the most interesting member of your group. (Highest CHA and best appearance as a human).

They have made several slightly lewd gestures in his direction and seem to be suggesting that he enters the water in order to...add to their gene pool.

Saracen, once let out the door of his cell and ungagged, immediately exclaims: "What is it? Why don't you just let me go? Drop me in the ocean. I won't harm you! Why are you keeping me?"

Normally he is only un-gagged at meal times. He's worked out that something is up. What do you tell him?

(He hasn't seen the sea-women yet).
Rhialto

Post by Rhialto »

Rostam will politely decline with a somewhat forced smile.
MevlyTM

Post by MevlyTM »

Maju indicates that the elf should be brought to where he can speak with the mermaids. He continues his ESP - on Saracen. He asks him to try to interpret.

OOC: ESP can last for up to 4 turns with Maju (~40 min). So I assume he can continue with it.