Chapter 5: All Aboard the Ark-Ari

A PbP version of J.D Neal's Lost World setting

Moderator: Longman

Longman

Re: Chapter 5: All Aboard the Ark-Ari

Post by Longman »

Very well. Saracen's pleas are ignored as he is moved over to the gunwhale where he can now see the two mermaids in the water. On the way, he is thinking:

"Sooner or later I'm going to escape and then I'm going to blow a hole in the bottom of this ship and drown the damn lot of you."

When he sees the mermaids, the reaction is immediate. They change from smiling to hostile as if they recognize him as an enemy, and they yell at him in their language. The word "Zargh" is recognizable and doesn't sound like a compliment.

Saracen turns to Maju:

"They are Maneli! Perhaps you call them Ningyo! They are not to be trusted!"

He is also thinking: "If they start singing, this ship will lose most of its crew. Maybe I can turn this to my advantage somehow, if I can persuade this scar-faced idiot to untie me..."
quozl

Post by quozl »

YC sees the change in expressions and hands out wax to everyone.

Quick! Put this wax in your ears and let's go now!
Longman

Post by Longman »

Two nearby characters (Elias and the bard) take the available wax and plug their ears.

YC, you had enough wax for 3. A few more characters head for their quarters to get more candles and start melting up some more but there isn't a ready supply of soft wax lying about.

We're not quite in rounds yet, but I will take note of actions on a minute by minute basis.

Maju, you are still in ESP mode. The captain is looking to you, and Rostam, to take the lead.
MevlyTM

Post by MevlyTM »

Maju agrees with YC. He tells the captain, "Get you men's ears plugged as soon as you can! And don't trust the sea-elf, he seeks to betray us. In fact, put his gag back in. If he struggles, throw him overboard to these creatures. It appears that they dislike him."

Maju then seeks to get wax for himself and as many others as possible. He also takes the opportunity to ESP on as many of the crew as possible…just to check up.
Rhialto

Post by Rhialto »

I will watch the sea-elf. And give the wax to the crew - I will rely on the great spirit.

Rostam takes hold of Saracen:
I don't trust you very much, but I don't like the look of these sea creatures either. Nature spirits are beyond the morals of men and should be avoided.

Captain! We should leave!
Longman

Post by Longman »

The mermaids continue yelling angrily at Saracen, but they do not start to sing. There are a few moments of chaos on the main deck while everyone attempts to get wax in their ears, and then it becomes apparent that the mermaids have submerged and don't seem to be threatening you any more.

The captain has the ship turned about and heading away from the pinnacles. The ship continues to sail westward and things start returning to normal.

I'll assume you just keep going, and post again in a day or two. Add any instructions/ questions etc you want in the meantime.
Longman

Post by Longman »

sorry gang, got caught up with easter partying...

You sail away from the pinnacles and keep headiong westward into the afternoon sun. It isn't until about 6pm that Jaali s, up in the crow's nest, spots a femame head sticking up out of the water some distance behind the boat. She takes a wquick breath of air, observes the ship, and then goes undder again.

Either more mermaids here or you are being followed.

The captain wants to weigh anchor soon. What do you want to do?
quozl

Post by quozl »

YC would like to push for the "good fishing" area marked on the map. Can we make it that far?
Longman

Post by Longman »

Not tonight. Your daily move in the ship is about 8 hexes. (There's no hexes marked in the water on the map but you can estimate.)

The real question is, do you weigh anchor with the mermaids around or do you push on into the night? That's some risky sailing when it gets dark and everyone is tired...
MevlyTM

Post by MevlyTM »

What does the captain think?