Chapter 5: All Aboard the Ark-Ari

A PbP version of J.D Neal's Lost World setting

Moderator: Longman

Longman

Re: Chapter 5: All Aboard the Ark-Ari

Post by Longman »

The captain, Quong Li, has spent much of the last 2 weeks locked in the hold and doesn't know anything about the island at all.

Not be able to leave? Why not? This sounds like superstition to me! I want to return to Siam aas fast as possible. There is no way we will make Salaya, not with this number of men!

Again, he warns that the small number of crew could create real problems if you hit a storm. Also, food supplies are low - you will be relying on fishing to survive. His plan is to sail east until you hit known trade routes and then ask another ship for help, and hope you run into no more pirates...

Incidentally, no one has actually taked to the captain yet about using the boat to explore the island further. You might be able to persuade him...do you want to do this?
quozl

Post by quozl »

Quong Li, I do not believe an ocean voyage with such few men is safe. Why do we not sail around the island, stopping at villages to see if they will join the crew? I would be happy to lead exploration parties to round up men and supplies.
Last edited by quozl on Mon Mar 13, 2017 8:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
mTeasdale

Post by mTeasdale »

So far, the inhabitants of the island have been really helpful. I think Yuan Cheng plan may be the safest.
Longman

Post by Longman »

Sounds a fair plan to me...

You did spot some smoke near the location of 11 on the temple map so maybe there are villagers there who will help. Or maybe they will be just the same as Teruk and the other ones you have met - they will not wish to travel, believeing they will get nowhere and the ship will always be drawn back to the island.

You have also heard of other villages in the south, some friendly, some run by skull cultists. You might pick up crew there, but you would probably have to deal with the cultists too.

I'll leave this at 2pm when you see the fliers, and then I'll move on tommorow.
quozl

Post by quozl »

We should probably move the opposite direction of the fliers.

DM: You're moving from the ship?
Rhialto

Post by Rhialto »

Even if the villagers don't want to join, we may be able to barter for supplies. So yes, let us explore the coast a bit before we try to leave.
Longman

Post by Longman »

Moving along - day 17 continues with repairs, etc.

The captain Quong Li readily agrees to look for more crew, exploring the west side of the island.

6pm - the fliers are still in various places, always a pair, always half a mile in height. They are definitely scoping you out, but do not ever come close enough for an encounter.

Several of the crew become suspicious and ask what they are. Apparently, today is the first sign the fliers have been seen and the crew are hoping you have done nothing to bring trouble.

Night comes and we'll move on to day 18 shortly. On day 19. you will be able to sail. Tomorrow is your last days' food supply, so people are anxious to get underway. Just one more day of repairs to get through.

Do any role-play or actions you want, or just wait for me to post more tomorrow (real time.)
MevlyTM

Post by MevlyTM »

Maju thanked Teruk and his men for their service and their commitment to their word. He is happy that the group was able to provide them with some supplies. He bids them farewell and safe travels to their homes.

After Maju performed the ritual for a new familiar, he waited searching the sky in hopes of an improbable return of Taku. He hardly noticed the toad hop up to him. Then the toad spoke. Maju just stared for a long, uncomfortable moment. He thought to himself, "The gods must be punishing me." He looked at the horrid, wart-festooned skin of the toad, and thought how it contrasted with Taku's elegant lines and exactingly preened feathers. After a time, Maju sighed, looked at the toad, and said, "So it's you. You're not much to look at. I'll call you Minikui (pronounced mee-nee-koo-ee), which means ugly; Mini for short. Still, you may be useful. Come on up…" Maju extended his sleeve for the toad to hop up into.
Longman

Post by Longman »

Nice RP!

The day turns into night (of day 17) and everyone settles in. I'm working you out a random watch order. There's enough to have at least 4 at watch at any time. Everyone else can be up and ready in 2 rounds, except if they have to put metal armor on in which case that would take ages...

This is relevant because at 2am some GIANT BATS some flying across the dunes and head straight for the ship. You don't yet know how many there are - at least 4. Their wingspan looks about 15 feet!

Awake: Maju and Yuan Cheng (quarterdeck, area 1 on ship map), Maroo and one of the 3rd level fighters who has no weapons (focsle, area 2) and the captain who is on the main deck near the door into his cabin (area 3).

You notice them when they are about 90 yards from the ship. You are not surprised. You win initiative. Go.

(If you are asleep I am assuming you are waking up this round and getting ready next round. You are probably in room 6, or 10.)
MevlyTM

Post by MevlyTM »

Maju retrieves his whistle and blows it to arouse the others. He will keep it in his teeth, ready to use in hopes of stunning any bats that might approach him. Also, realizing he doesn't have any spells prepared that might be helpful in this situation, he quickly searches for a torch; perhaps fire will ward off these creatures.

OOC: I'm not sure if the whistle would work. Since the bats use echo-location, I thought a whistle might be like a dazzling bright light to them. Either way, it's worth a try - and Maju sure doesn't have much else to offer here (other than his lowly dagger).