Season 2 - Episode 4: The Warren

A forum for JoeCarr28's play-by-post game.

Moderator: JoeCarr28

JoeCarr28

Season 2 - Episode 4: The Warren

Post by JoeCarr28 »

The servant leads you through the dark streets of Westport in a generally southern direction. The journey takes about half an hour, during which time you transition from the prosperity of Hall’s district to the other end of the social scale - small, run-down houses crammed together astride seedy alleyways.

Eventually you arrive at your destination - a back alley behind a warehouse. The servant points at a door, bows stiffly at Tannen, and hurries off into the night.

I've pieced together a marching order from your previous posts ... is the following OK?
Marching Order.png
Marching Order.png (97.2 KiB) Viewed 18384 times
Also, who is carrying the box? :twisted:

Leo: HP 5/11
Nivek: HP 8/11. Spells remaining: no 1st level; four 0 level.
~8 pm, 16th day of Leaffall
The Marketstone Campaign at Obsidian Portal
Birthright

Re: Season 2 - Episode 4: The Warren

Post by Birthright »

[OOC: Marching order looks fine to me.]

Tannen tosses his blanket and crossbow to Bennoni and stashes the enchanted box from Hall in the his backpack.
SmootRK

Post by SmootRK »

"This area seems rather seedy... be vigilant boys!" exclaims Nivek as he prepares his gear for action.
Is it really the end, not some crazy dream?
Hywaywolf

Post by Hywaywolf »

from the safety of the group, Doughbert scans the alley looking for spots where a watcher could overlook the door and for any windows or view slots. If he sees nothing threatening he'll move toward the door watching for lines strung across the ground or loose items that might make a noise and alert anyone on the other side of the door. When he gets to the door he;ll lean in close and listen to hear what he can hear.
Iain_IF

Post by Iain_IF »

Paladin sends Benoni forward with directions to find us a watering hole. Benoni is not to leave direct sight of the rest of us so we can murderize anyone that waylaid him. While the party watches him, Paladin draws them all within muttering range. Before we get into trouble, we should discuss what it is we are really doing Paladin quietly says to the others. Considering our health, Doughbert's relationship with Bertie, and the high risk for low reward of this job, I'm not certain we should be doing it. We have options now, but fewer once we start banging heads.
Hywaywolf

Post by Hywaywolf »

After listening at the door Doughbert returns to the huddle just in time to hear paladin's comment. "I do not believe the god's will allow us to do anything other than retrieve this gem. We should just get to it and be done with it. Then we can return to the forest and clear it of bandits."
Joe the Rat

Post by Joe the Rat »

Mandross quietly chimes in. "Indeed. I cannot speak for the Gods, but I will say Mr. Hall is a man of some note in this town - apparently beyond his known role as a successful trader. Having Westport as a haven of sorts would be more difficult if we were to simply leg it from here - not to mention leaving a source of foulness in open hands. He may be able to direct us to some transport up the coast, if we wanted to head to that tower you fellows are so keen on. But enough on that - is the way open?"
Go with a smile!
Iain_IF

Post by Iain_IF »

Indeed, what you say is true, begins Paladin, but I worry that we may be doing something particularly evil here. This upstanding member of Westport has hired a bandit gang to get him a disease-causing gemstone. He's then hired a bunch of mercenaries from out of town (us) to fight the bandit gang in the city. This says to me that Mr. Hall is operating well outside the law and the interests of Westport. If we succeed in getting his disease stone, will we be more or less welcome in Westport?

Paladin views the others skeptically. If we are going to get this gemstone, we should decide here how many folks we are going to kill. This is a town. People live here. If we start throwing spells, flaming oil, and arrows about, folks are going to get hurt. These bandits aren't off in a cave somewhere by themselves. How are we going to know who's a bandit and who isn't?

Seeing Benoni returning empty handed, Paladin concludes. And are we really going to give it to some man we know little about? The only information we have about Mr. Hall is that he's connected to Bertie, and that's not a step in the right direction for me. Bertie is a dangerous man keeping his position in Marketstone by intimidation and strong-arm tactics. Shouldn't we be taking this gemstone to, say, a Temple of Law? I mean, I'm all for a little fun in the fields with a torch, but giving a guy a disease-causing gemstone seems like it's not so smart.
Hywaywolf

Post by Hywaywolf »

i have no problem with turning over the gem to someone other than Hall. He's not paying enough to buy my loyalty.
Arehzo

Post by Arehzo »

Gannicus nods his head in agreement with Doughbert.

Gannicus, Human Fighter
BFRPG: Marketstone Campaign