Iron Falcon Release Announcements

This subforum is for discussion of the Iron Falcon Rules for Classic Fantasy Role-Playing. Maybe someday they'll have their own forum, but for now I'm keeping the discussion here.
Solomoriah
Site Admin

Re: New Project: Iron Falcon

Post by Solomoriah »

Dimirag wrote:Solo: if anything of what I'm going to post is not allowed please excuse me and erase it.
You aren't a contributor, so you can say pretty much anything you want. OGL rules only apply to authors and contributors.
Dimirag wrote:Solo, whats the healing rate on IF? It seems that part is still under construction or entirely out of the game.
Like I did with BFRPG, I have a "coverage target" I'm following; if the classic game has a rule for something, so will Iron Falcon, and if it doesn't... well, that's tricky; I may have to make up a few things, but I don't really want to add any more than I must.

Being a true retro-clone of a game that was, let's be honest, poorly defined in the first place is a bit harder than I would have expected.
My personal site: www.gonnerman.org
Solomoriah
Site Admin

Post by Solomoriah »

seandon4 wrote:Trouble is all the material out there is written for B/X and 1e. I wonder if there are easy ways to convert B/X modules to OD&D.
You should be able to convert on the fly adventures written for most of the Old School games, and certainly for BFRPG (just invert the AC).
seandon4 wrote:Solo, any thoughts on d6 damage instead of variable? I noticed a few of the weapons do d12 which seems pretty enormous for OD&D?
My coverage target has variable weapon damage, and so therefore do I.

Back in the day when that first supplement appeared, I'd wager more than half of the people then playing dived in head first and used it all, or almost all of it. Remember, up to that point there was only the one game, only the one publication. Nothing like it is today.
seandon4 wrote:EDIT: BTW, neat project, thanks for arranging and posting.
Thanks!

I'm just now pushing a new version to the website, so check it out!
Fabio_MP

Post by Fabio_MP »

I am having problems downloading it... I get an "error 500 - internal server error" :( maybe it's because you are uploading it just now?
seandon4

Post by seandon4 »

Solomoriah wrote:
seandon4 wrote:Trouble is all the material out there is written for B/X and 1e. I wonder if there are easy ways to convert B/X modules to OD&D.
You should be able to convert on the fly adventures written for most of the Old School games, and certainly for BFRPG (just invert the AC).
Also converting the HD from B/X style to OD&D style and the attack tables, and maybe differences in XP requirement -- I'd have to go back and compare. Probably not too hard to do though. Movement can be converted on the fly as well.
Solomoriah wrote:
seandon4 wrote:Solo, any thoughts on d6 damage instead of variable? I noticed a few of the weapons do d12 which seems pretty enormous for OD&D?
My coverage target has variable weapon damage, and so therefore do I.

Back in the day when that first supplement appeared, I'd wager more than half of the people then playing dived in head first and used it all, or almost all of it. Remember, up to that point there was only the one game, only the one publication. Nothing like it is today.
Ah you mean they used all the dice d4 through d12?
Solomoriah wrote: I'm just now pushing a new version to the website, so check it out!
Thanks!
Solomoriah
Site Admin

Post by Solomoriah »

Fabio_MP wrote:I am having problems downloading it... I get an "error 500 - internal server error" :( maybe it's because you are uploading it just now?
Ack. Had a 3 bit error in the settings. Works now.
Solomoriah
Site Admin

Post by Solomoriah »

seandon4 wrote:
Solomoriah wrote:You should be able to convert on the fly adventures written for most of the Old School games, and certainly for BFRPG (just invert the AC).
Also converting the HD from B/X style to OD&D style and the attack tables, and maybe differences in XP requirement -- I'd have to go back and compare. Probably not too hard to do though. Movement can be converted on the fly as well.
Adventures don't generally have the attack table values, and you'd just ignore given XP figures and use the Iron Falcon numbers instead. And yeah, movement can be converted on the fly, though I'd probably print out a copy of the conversion table from my RPG Primer since I'm really slow at math in my head.
seandon4 wrote:Ah you mean they used all the dice d4 through d12?
Yes, that rule appeared in the first supplement.
seandon4

Post by seandon4 »

Solomoriah wrote:
seandon4 wrote:
Solomoriah wrote:You should be able to convert on the fly adventures written for most of the Old School games, and certainly for BFRPG (just invert the AC).
seandon4 wrote:Ah you mean they used all the dice d4 through d12?
Yes, that rule appeared in the first supplement.
Ah, I see, I suspect Greyhawk had the Alternate Hit Dice as well, which makes it already in line with B/X, which Iron Falcon is using. (d4, d8 instead of d6+2, etc.)

Thanks.

EDIT: An OD&D that is on-the-fly compatible with BFRPG is a idea I like very much.
Last edited by seandon4 on Fri Feb 13, 2015 1:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Togo Galthus

Post by Togo Galthus »

This is a great project, I hope it finds many players eventually!

I don't think you've disclosed this, sorry if I missed it, but from where did you get the name?
Solomoriah
Site Admin

Post by Solomoriah »

Togo Galthus wrote:I don't think you've disclosed this, sorry if I missed it, but from where did you get the name?
I thought you'd never ask...

What color is iron?

What is a synonym for falcon?
SmootRK

Post by SmootRK »

Solomoriah wrote:
Togo Galthus wrote:I don't think you've disclosed this, sorry if I missed it, but from where did you get the name?
I thought you'd never ask...

What color is iron?

What is a synonym for falcon?
I suspected this. lol :lol:
Is it really the end, not some crazy dream?