3rd Chapter: Up the Stairs

This forum is for playtesting Iron Falcon Adventures One, specifically (at the start anyway) the Abandoned Tower adventure.
Solomoriah
Site Admin

3rd Chapter: Up the Stairs

Post by Solomoriah »

Neirin and Faylen ascended the stairs carefully, with the others a little ways back. A tiny stream of water ran down the stairs, very near to the middle of them, and they could see that it had done so long enough to cut a shallow path through them.

At the top of the stairs the adventurers found themselves looking into a large, empty room. At the far side of the room lay a burnt-out torch, resting beside a small hole from which the stream ran; it curved around the room to the right, almost but not quite touching the right-hand wall before veering down the stairs past the party.

Neirin looked to his right and saw a door; ahead to the left he could see an alcove, or perhaps the beginning of a corridor.
map013.png
map013.png (1.64 KiB) Viewed 13816 times
My personal site: www.gonnerman.org
Longman

Re: 3rd Chapter: Up the Stairs

Post by Longman »

Ranald will move up to K1 (lower map) and wait, with the door open, looking and listening to the rear, crossbow still out and loaded.

Hengist will accompany the mage Alphonse up the stairs. (There should be two pole-arm fighters in front of us, then the halfling and elf at the lead.)

Hengist to Alphonse:

If I heard correctly, you are a magician? I've met a few before, and they made a powerful difference in battle. What tricks do you have up your sleeve, so to speak? If you need someone to hold that lantern while you do your work, I'll oblige. I'm injured from that wretched kobold back at the junction, and I don't want to get to near the front again soon.
Rhialto

Post by Rhialto »

Neirin will slowly move to the corner and peer into the alcove or corridor.
Tertullian moves up the stairs with the others, muttering something about the dampness of the place getting into his bones.
mTeasdale

Post by mTeasdale »

Solo, is it possible to cast a spell with only one hand ? If it isn't, Alphonse will pass the lantern, otherwise he will keep it.
Clever_Munkey

Post by Clever_Munkey »

Faylen will move to and listen at the door.

Rowan will remain with the other polearm fighters.
Call me Joe. Mr. Munkey is my father.
Solomoriah
Site Admin

Post by Solomoriah »

mTeasdale wrote:Solo, is it possible to cast a spell with only one hand ? If it isn't, Alphonse will pass the lantern, otherwise he will keep it.
Probably. It might depend on what spell, exactly.
Longman wrote:Ranald will move up to K1 (lower map) and wait, with the door open, looking and listening to the rear, crossbow still out and loaded.

Hengist will accompany the mage Alphonse up the stairs. (There should be two pole-arm fighters in front of us, then the halfling and elf at the lead.)
Rhialto wrote:Tertullian moves up the stairs with the others, muttering something about the dampness of the place getting into his bones.
Clever_Munkey wrote:Rowan will remain with the other polearm fighters.
Acknowledged. Except for Ranald, then, everyone is either on the stairs or up on the first level.
Rhialto wrote:Neirin will slowly move to the corner and peer into the alcove or corridor.
Neirin carefully crossed the room and peered around the corner, and saw that the alcove was actually an entryway with a door at the back.
Clever_Munkey wrote:Faylen will move to and listen at the door.
Faylen put her ear to the door and listened carefully... and heard voices. High-pitched voices, just on the other side of the door, speaking a language she did not know... but she thought they sounded excited.
map014.png
map014.png (3.85 KiB) Viewed 13725 times
My personal site: www.gonnerman.org
Longman

Post by Longman »

Ranald will hold his position. Hengist will exchange halberd for spear, preparing to take the lantern. He pauses on the stairs to do this.

(we're really waiting on Clever Munkey to determine what Faylen does).
Clever_Munkey

Post by Clever_Munkey »

Faylen motions for all to keep quiet.

OOC: can she tell how many distinct voices there are?
If she can she indicates how many people she hears.

Either way she also looks for which way the door opens, and whether there are any traps (within a reasonable time).
Call me Joe. Mr. Munkey is my father.
Rhialto

Post by Rhialto »

Tertullian will stay near the head of the stairs and silently watch what the others are doing.

Neirin whispers:
Hey, can we spike this other door shut before we deal with whoever is in that room? Anybody got some spikes left?
mTeasdale

Post by mTeasdale »

"I do, Neirin. Come with me, I'll spike that door."