Basic Fantasy Field Guide Volume 2

Creating game materials? Monsters, spells, classes, adventures? This is the place!
Zoltors Inkwell

Re: Basic Fantasy Field Guide Volume 2

Post by Zoltors Inkwell »

CptClyde wrote: Mon Nov 30, 2020 10:15 pm Holy monkey! I just saw that Wretching art. I totally would like to disagree with some and vote for the first incarnation. Her face is WAY more creepy in the first image. The face shadowing is indeed different which draws you in as the focal point. And you quickly notice her face "just doesn't look quite right" which is what gives me the shivers. The "corrected" version just loses its edge for me.
toddlyons wrote: Tue Dec 01, 2020 9:59 am I didn't mean to suggest I didn't like the face. It was just jarringly different than the texture and shading of the rest of the drawing. It's an effect similar to a situation where two different artists collaborate on a piece but their styles are so distinct you can pick out who did what. Good, but not cohesive.
Wow. This is the same conversation I have in my head as I'm drawing. It's the reason I redraw an illustration several times. It's the same reason I'm about a dozen illustrations in on the Hiveling drawing. I do like the creepiness of the first Wretchling but I also think the face was a little much at the same time. I think the updated version lost some of the edge but it does fit better with the rest of the drawing. I could redraw it, but we may very well end up back here again and I would never really finish it. I feel that way about all of my drawings. I look at them and see something that could be better, and so it's never finished in my mind. I wasn't sure about the face to begin with, so it didn't take any convincing to change it. Which is better? I don't know. My answer would be neither but that's the perfectionist side of me. I had a version of the Dreamless with faces inside the darkness, but I thought that was a little cliche and opted for a "Rorschach" approach. I wanted to draw it so that the viewer saw what they wanted to see. At least that was the goal. Did I achieve it? Probably not. Was either version better than the other? Probably not. Will it ever be finshed? Probably not.
My personal art page.
https://www.facebook.com/MWByouk
Bumblepig

Post by Bumblepig »

Zoltors Inkwell wrote: Tue Dec 01, 2020 9:57 pm
CptClyde wrote: Mon Nov 30, 2020 10:15 pm Holy monkey! I just saw that Wretching art. I totally would like to disagree with some and vote for the first incarnation. Her face is WAY more creepy in the first image. The face shadowing is indeed different which draws you in as the focal point. And you quickly notice her face "just doesn't look quite right" which is what gives me the shivers. The "corrected" version just loses its edge for me.
toddlyons wrote: Tue Dec 01, 2020 9:59 am I didn't mean to suggest I didn't like the face. It was just jarringly different than the texture and shading of the rest of the drawing. It's an effect similar to a situation where two different artists collaborate on a piece but their styles are so distinct you can pick out who did what. Good, but not cohesive.
Wow. This is the same conversation I have in my head as I'm drawing. It's the reason I redraw an illustration several times. It's the same reason I'm about a dozen illustrations in on the Hiveling drawing. I do like the creepiness of the first Wretchling but I also think the face was a little much at the same time. I think the updated version lost some of the edge but it does fit better with the rest of the drawing. I could redraw it, but we may very well end up back here again and I would never really finish it. I feel that way about all of my drawings. I look at them and see something that could be better, and so it's never finished in my mind. I wasn't sure about the face to begin with, so it didn't take any convincing to change it. Which is better? I don't know. My answer would be neither but that's the perfectionist side of me. I had a version of the Dreamless with faces inside the darkness, but I thought that was a little cliche and opted for a "Rorschach" approach. I wanted to draw it so that the viewer saw what they wanted to see. At least that was the goal. Did I achieve it? Probably not. Was either version better than the other? Probably not. Will it ever be finshed? Probably not.
Everyone probably has a preference, but I'd say either version is definitely "good enough".
But then again, I'm more interested in seeing that polar boar-mounted tusker! ;)
Zoltors Inkwell

Here is a Giant Tick. Dream Bear is next. Let me know what you think.
Tick_Giant_by_MWByouk.png
Tick_Giant_by_MWByouk.png (5.61 MiB) Viewed 3920 times
My personal art page.
Seven

Post by Seven »

Nice. I can picture that tick hiding among a row of skulls.
teaman

Post by teaman »

Zoltors Inkwell wrote: Wed Dec 02, 2020 9:46 pm Here is a Giant Tick. Dream Bear is next. Let me know what you think.Tick_Giant_by_MWByouk.png
Lovely drawing and shading work. Reminds me of artwork from the old "Savage Sword of Conan" magazines! I could get lost in those for days.
Teaman is the sole proprietor of Sharp Mountain Games at roll20 and DTRPG

https://marketplace.roll20.net/browse/p ... tain-games
http://drivethrurpg.com/browse/pub/8418 ... tain-Games
Zoltors Inkwell

teaman wrote: Fri Dec 04, 2020 5:21 am
Zoltors Inkwell wrote: Wed Dec 02, 2020 9:46 pm Here is a Giant Tick. Dream Bear is next. Let me know what you think.Tick_Giant_by_MWByouk.png
Lovely drawing and shading work. Reminds me of artwork from the old "Savage Sword of Conan" magazines! I could get lost in those for days.
Thanks Teaman. I miss the old Conan magazines. I know you don't mean the comic books. The magazines were much better.
My personal art page.
Zoltors Inkwell

teaman wrote: Fri Dec 04, 2020 5:21 am
Thanks Teaman. I miss the old Conan magazines. I know you don't mean the comic books. The magazines were much better.
My personal art page.
Zoltors Inkwell

Sorry, but I had to do this. I thought about putting a pipe on his belt.
Rakun_by_MWByouk.png
Rakun_by_MWByouk.png (1.17 MiB) Viewed 3874 times
My personal art page.
Seven

Post by Seven »

Zoltors Inkwell wrote: Fri Dec 04, 2020 6:55 pm Thanks Teaman. I miss the old Conan magazines. I know you don't mean the comic books. The magazines were much better.
I think some of the more recent comic books were reprints of the old black and white magazines, the stuff Roy Thomas adapted.
Zoltors Inkwell

Dream Bear.
Bear_Dream_by_MWByouk.png
Bear_Dream_by_MWByouk.png (718.67 KiB) Viewed 3837 times
My personal art page.