Psionic Warrior

Creating game materials? Monsters, spells, classes, adventures? This is the place!
Kythden

Psionic Warrior

Post by Kythden »

Ok, so very new to this game system, but loving the concept. It is probably a BIT early, but I have started to work on a psionic warrior character. I will attach what I have, and I welcome feedback. I defiantly want to make sure it has been converted properly, and that it makes sense. If I am violating any game rules, or engaging in any kind of copyright no no, PLEASE let me know!

I hope you like!
Attachments
BF-Psionic Warrior-Supplement-r3.odt
Psionic Warrior Supplement
(62.5 KiB) Downloaded 695 times
SmootRK

Re: Psionic Warrior

Post by SmootRK »

Looks like some interesting work. Perhaps a bit too complex in my mind for a warrior (so many options). On the balance side of things, seems like a lot of power available for just a small increase in the necessary XP and the loss of Plate armor... but to be honest, I did not go through it all extensively. 2e had a significant amount of power-creep from the various "complete" books, with kits and such, making playing the standard fare (F/MU/Th/Cl) a silly choice... so redesigning with a goal of shifting the balance back should be undertaken.

On copyright, this seems to be mostly lifted from 2e Psionic Supplement. I think a lot of effort to re-think, re-name, and re-write the material should be done, with a great deal of the re-think portion emphasized (try coming up with other ideas to achieve similar goals), as this achieves all three of these factors involving copyright. Many folks like stuff that closely emulates other games/editions, but I think BFRPG gains the most when stuff is written uniquely for our little subset of gaming.

My biggest suggestions (other than what is mentioned above), is a radical reduction in various powers available, coming down to something very "BASIC". Perhaps even eliminating the alternate power schema and instead giving something simple like 1/day, 2/day, etc. recharging each day after rest.... just opinions, mind you. I do not necessarily know your particular end-point goal in this.

And.. welcome aboard. Nice to have another around who likes to tinker with the game and try things!
Is it really the end, not some crazy dream?
Dimirag

Post by Dimirag »

Not bad but not to "basic" like. Some things that need work: too much power. Too many options. The saving mechanism myst be changed as bfrpg does not use saving dc values.
Sorry for any misspelling or writing error, I am not a native English speaker
Drawing portfolio: https://www.instagram.com/m.serena_dimirag/
Kythden

Post by Kythden »

You know what, until reading your posts, the BASIC part of the title did not click lol!

Ok, so I have started reworking it, first, your right, the xp table should have been that of the paladin in the first place, so adding that in.

As to DC checks, changing that to be much more basic. (divide wisdom check roll in half before adding modifiers when in combat or other vigorous activity.)

For now I am leaving the power point system in. The once per day twice per day may be an option, but I would like to see what else I can do to balance it out.

I realize it is probably overpowered, with being able to fight like a warrior, and use powers (potentially multiple times a day) is too much at this point. I am thinking with revamping the power pool to start with, and limiting him to chain mail armor. With the basic rules that does not do much, but I really don't want to restrict them to leather.

After making all the changes I will post a revision.
SmootRK

Post by SmootRK »

When it comes to the armor issue. BFRPG, at least in the core rules, is extremely limited. You have Plate, Chain, Leather, and Shields. While these are fine divisions, you can perhaps introduce language into your class with regards to the metal issue. Say something like, "The Psionic Warrior is limited to non-metal armors. While traditionally this means Leather, there are variant armor made from non-standard materials that may suffice." Then, as an Appendix, list a couple of alternate armors that might be found in your campaign. If you are going for a DarkSun sort of vibe, you could list Bone, Shell, Carapace, etc. If your campaign is otherwise pretty much standard fantasy, you could still include some rare types from other regions such as Lacquered or Laminates of various materials such as wood, resin, or even stone plates. There is even an Asian "paper" armor if one does some research. Of course, I would make these all very rare unless such Psionic individuals are commonplace in your setting.

There is an Armor and Shields Supplement, and more info may be found in the Equipment Emporium.
shadowmane

Post by shadowmane »

I wonder if Psyonics wouldn't work better as one of Smoot's Quasi-Classes. Instead of just a warrior, it would open up all of the classes to Psyonics. That way, a GM that don't have it in game, could put it in game by simply having it be an effect on a player character (or NPC) that has been gained (or has been cursed with it).
SmootRK

Post by SmootRK »

shadowmane wrote:I wonder if Psyonics wouldn't work better as one of Smoot's Quasi-Classes. Instead of just a warrior, it would open up all of the classes to Psyonics. That way, a GM that don't have it in game, could put it in game by simply having it be an effect on a player character (or NPC) that has been gained (or has been cursed with it).
ahhh, now don't say that. I am already still in process of working Monk, wants to do Acrobat, and now you are making the case for Psionics too.!!

But yes, I think you are right... make a Psionic quasi-class, then any particular class would work in conjunction with it. Probably the best way to break things up then, would be to tie certain Ability Minimums to certain types of psionics. CON minimums for mostly Psychometabolics, WIS to most detection/precog things, CHA to charming/domineering (force of personality/will), INT to other sorts of mental attack/defense, STR and DEX don't really factor in much in my mind, which is probably OK as the Fighters and standard Thieves don't really factor in my mind as meshing as well (Psionic Warrior oriented psychometabolics aside).
SmootRK

Post by SmootRK »

Is Kythden around? I would like to see more and perhaps if he would like to work this out more generically (as in Psion instead of Psionic Warrior) so that it might work as a quasi-class... for this is surely a topic (psionics overall) that is lacking from BFRPG stuff.
lars_alexander

Post by lars_alexander »

The OSRIC expansion by Usherwood Adventures has a nice take on psionics. I was thinking about knicking some its ideas for my BF campaign in the future.
SmootRK

Post by SmootRK »

lars_alexander wrote:The OSRIC expansion by Usherwood Adventures has a nice take on psionics. I was thinking about knicking some its ideas for my BF campaign in the future.
perhaps, but alas it is not freely shared. I will likely not see it.
My gaming these days revolves around Open Source and/or Free sources.