BFRPG SRD

Creating game materials? Monsters, spells, classes, adventures? This is the place!
Dustinian

BFRPG SRD

Post by Dustinian »

BFRPG SRD
Background
  • Chiisu81 inspired this project.
Result Comments
  • Based on revision 107.
  • Not perfect. I built it by saving the LibreOffice document as .HTML, and then writing a script to clean up the 3+MB monstrosity of redundant, in-tag styles that LibreOffice created.
  • I do not intend to host this file once complete. Solomoriah's work belongs on this site. I'm merely hosting temporarily to facilitate development
Help
I'm sharing this now because I'd sincerely appreciate help with the below:
  • Stylesheet: I've slapped a basic stylesheet into the head of the document. If there's some design guru that wants to style the current tags (h1, h2, h3, h4, h5, p, th, td), that'd be great. Please don't create new tags/classes/ids within the document body. If new tags need to be created, let me know so that I can update the scripts. I want to keep everything script-based so that when Solomoriah posts a new version, I can push-button an updated SRD.
  • Errors: LibreOffice did some funky things when it exported the document as .HTML. I found tables in all sorts of weird places. My script also may have omitted too much (or too little). Please let me know what errors you see, and what heading they appear under, so that I can update the script, rather than the document (same reason as above).
  • General Feedback: What suggestions do you have? I find it pretty tough to navigate, but I wanted to keep the text as close to the core rules as possible, without inserting a lot of navigation.
Thank you for reading. Now that this is posted, I'll go back to working on my other project... the spell book database application.
Last edited by Dustinian on Fri Nov 21, 2014 9:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dustinian
Blazeguard

Re: BFRPG SRD

Post by Blazeguard »

Good work.

I had started a couple of wiki-based sites but never got them off the ground.
They may give you some ideas though.
http://bfrpg.wikidot.com/
http://www.schmidthappens.ca/DokuWiki/doku.php
The problem with doing something really stupid to impress people is that they may just be impressed by how stupid you really are.
chiisu81

Post by chiisu81 »

I'm quite impressed with what Libre + your clean-up has produced; the only thing I've seen is the use of the "<b>" tag rather than "<strong>".

I've been creating a website for my own rule-set, and I've been tinkering with a stylesheet for it. I can come up with something for your page and see how it looks. One thing I would tweak is the font size; the 9pt Soutane is just too small for my taste.
Maliki

Post by Maliki »

Very cool and helpful when working on my modified BFRPG rules. Thanks!
lars_alexander

Post by lars_alexander »

Well done!

:D
seandon4

Post by seandon4 »

I also wanted to say nicely done, on the clean up :)
chiisu81

Post by chiisu81 »

I still need to work on a sample CSS for this.

I would like to note that depending on needed bandwidth, my Dreamhost account still has a bit of room if we need a host.

I would also gladly volunteer to pay for website/name registration if Solo approves. Perhaps BFRPGSRD.org or basicfantasySRD.org or such.
Dustinian

Post by Dustinian »

@chiisu81, I appreciate the offer, but bandwidth is certainly not an issue for now. I also don't think a separate URL is in order. Once I'm ready to call the document "final," the height of my ambition would be to have Solomoriah host it on basicfantasy.org with a link to it somewhere easy to find.

My target audience here are folks with the following use case:
  • Gosh, I would love to play a game of BFRPG
  • I'm not at home
  • I don't have my BFRPG Core Rulebook on me
  • I don't have a laptop running LibreOffice on me
  • But I totally have a smartphone/tablet!
Those folks could navigate to basicfantasy.org, hit the "SRD" link, and use the SRD from their mobile device.

Granted, the PDF copy of the core rulebook meets the tablet-wielder's most basic needs. But I love the idea of the rules right there in a browser, so that you can use the browser's native resize/zoom/search functionality.

But that's once it's in a more "final" state.
Dustinian
asacolips

Post by asacolips »

This is excellent. I was actually just planning on starting a WordPress site as an SRD for this, as I did a similar thing for my home group with Labyrinth Lord. If you're up for it, we might be able to merge those two project ideas and use yours as a base to start from. I could set up the structure and theme, and then you (and any one else interested) could work on getting all of the content in and cleaned up.

Either way, I would definitely like to help on this. I'm an art director and web developer by trade, so I can contribute to it as time allows.

[edit] I just saw your note about keeping it script based so that updates are push button. That would definitely be tricky with WordPress. In that case, here's my thoughts:
  • I can put together a really nice stylesheet that's responsive for mobile devices and includes a fixed navigation system, so that the user doesn't have to scroll back to the top.
  • All of the table of contents links are static urls like http://www.dustinian.com/stuff#named_anchor. You'll want to strip everything from those URLs aside from the /bfrpg.html#named_anchor portion so that the file will work regardless of the domain.
  • Performance on mobile devices is something to consider. With everything being in one .html file, phones have to pull in bits and pieces of the content at a time. It may be wiser to update the script to break each chapter into separate pages
  • If you want, you can either give me access to your ftp to upload css files, or I can create a css file on my server and let you reference that in the head of your .html file. Once the css is completed, you can just copy the file over to your server and presto. I prefer the latter, as I would rather not have the ability to ftp in your site (security and all).
[edit 2]
My first crack it this can be seen at http://bfrpg.llsrd.org/. One thing I've noticed is that there really needs to be more classes in the HTML to help with styling specific sections. For instance, I wanted to break the spells into columns so that it would be easier to digest the amount of content there, but there's not a wrapper or class around the chapters so that the content inside them can be styled. With that said, navigation is starting to get quite bit easier now.
Dustinian

Post by Dustinian »

asacolips wrote:I was actually just planning on starting a WordPress site as an SRD for this... ...If you're up for it, we might be able to merge those two project ideas and use yours as a base to start from. I could set up the structure and theme, and then you (and any one else interested) could work on getting all of the content in and cleaned up.
I am up for that. Let me know what I can do to help and/or facilitate. I'm not familiar with Wordpress. Would you like the HTML converted to... BBCode? :) Truly, I'm not familiar with Wordpress at all.
asacolips wrote:Either way, I would definitely like to help on this. I'm an art director and web developer by trade, so I can contribute to it as time allows.
Thanks. I'm an ex-technical writer. I'm good at single-sourcing and document structure, but I'm terrible (or, at best, generic at true "design"). So the best thing an art director can do for me would be a good stylesheet so that I can stay focused on my document structure, trusting that "look and feel" are taking care of themselves. That would delight me.
asacolips wrote:I just saw your note about keeping it script based so that updates are push button. That would definitely be tricky with WordPress.
I'm less married to that idea (pure focus on the script) than I was when I posted that.
asacolips wrote:I can put together a really nice stylesheet that's responsive for mobile devices and includes a fixed navigation system, so that the user doesn't have to scroll back to the top.
That would be awesome.
asacolips wrote:All of the table of contents links are static urls like http://www.dustinian.com/stuff#named_anchor. You'll want to strip everything from those URLs aside from the /bfrpg.html#named_anchor portion so that the file will work regardless of the domain.
No, the links are relative. Did you look at the document's source, or hover over the hyperlinks? If you hover over, yeah, they look like absolute links. But they're not. I'm a better tech writer than that. ;)
asacolips wrote:Performance on mobile devices is something to consider. With everything being in one .html file, phones have to pull in bits and pieces of the content at a time. It may be wiser to update the script to break each chapter into separate pages
I had been arriving that that conclusion myself. That's why I'm less married to the script notion than before. My new notion is to break up the document into a bunch of PHP files, and then "include" them into different templates.
asacolips wrote:If you want, you can either give me access to your ftp to upload css files, or I can create a css file on my server and let you reference that in the head of your .html file. Once the css is completed, you can just copy the file over to your server and presto. I prefer the latter, as I would rather not have the ability to ftp in your site (security and all).
Right now the CSS is embedded in the document. If you could make your changes on the embedded stylesheet and then attach to a subsequent post, that would be ideal. I could then extract your CSS into a separate .CSS file later, one that would work with the PHP break-down I'm thinking of...
asacolips wrote:My first crack it this can be seen at http://bfrpg.llsrd.org/. One thing I've noticed is that there really needs to be more classes in the HTML to help with styling specific sections. For instance, I wanted to break the spells into columns so that it would be easier to digest the amount of content there, but there's not a wrapper or class around the chapters so that the content inside them can be styled. With that said, navigation is starting to get quite bit easier now.
That's awesome. I should be able to add part/chapter wrappers. Do you prefer divs or these newfangled "article" HTML5 things? Either way, let me know and I can spend some time tonight working on editing the script.

For now, yard work calls. Thank you, asacolips, for the excellent reply and thoughts.

Update: Holy crap, that is super awesome. I hadn't actually tried the TOC when I posted the above. Your TOC is AWESOME. Please let me know how I can continue to facilitate your excellent work.
Dustinian