BFRPG Combat Cheat Sheet

Creating game materials? Monsters, spells, classes, adventures? This is the place!
seandon4

BFRPG Combat Cheat Sheet

Post by seandon4 »

Per request, here is a rough BFRPG Combat Cheat Sheet, which I could potentially fit onto a supplement template:

ENCOUNTER & COMBAT

1. THE ENCOUNTER
i. Proceed to 10 second rounds. (p. 44.)
ii. Roll for surprise. (p. 44.)
a. d6 - Surprised at 1-2 (elves at 1).
iii. Roll for NPC Reaction. (p. 45.)

2. COMBAT
i. Roll for initiative (at the beginning of each round). (p. 45.)
a. d6 +/- DEX modifier. (p. 45.)
ii. Act in order according to initiative list; highest first and so on. (p. 45.)
a. The character/NPC can strike, shoot, move and strike, cast, etc.
b. Movement: 40'/round (there are modifiers). (p. 37.)
iii. If striking/shooting, roll for hit. (p. 47.)
a. d20 + Attack bonus + STR/DEX bonus (melee or ranged). (1)(2)
b. Compare the result with opponent's Armor Class - if equal or more = hit.
c. Roll for injury: Weapon's damage + STR bonus. (p. 49.) (1)

3. MORALE
i. Roll for morale when encounter occurs, when NPC group is reduced to 50% or when single opponent's HP is reduced to 50%.
a. 2d6 vs. Moral value. (p. 51.)

4. EXPERIENCE POINTS
i. Experience Points (EP) is gained for defeated opponents, the amount is depending on opponents' Hit Dice or Level. (p. 43.)

(1) Plus other bonuses; for instance, if attacker has a magic weapon.
(2) A natural 20 is always a hit; a natural 1 is always a miss.

CHARGING, need 10' clear line of sight and a spear or lance: +2 to hit, -2 to AC (p.45)
DEFENSIVE MOVE, if engaged, can move 1/2 rate; move full & receive +2 parting shot
ATTACKING FROM BEHIND, +2 to hit, target does not get shield bonus(p.46)
MELEE, add STR modifier to hit and to damage
MISSILE, add DEX modifier to hit, STR modifier to damage if thrown missile
MISSILE VS ADJACENT FOE, at -5 to hit
MISSILE RANGE, short +1, medium, +0, long -2
COVER AND CONCEALMENT, between -1 and -4 to hit
MISSILES THAT MISS, could hit friendly character adjacent to the target(p.47)
SUBDUING, at -4 to hit; if target reduced to 0, unconscious but not dying, leaves 1 hp
BRAWLING, subduing damage 1d3 with punch; 1d4 with kick at -2 to hit(p.48)
WRESTLING, successful hit grabs, target can break next action with save vs death ray
HOLD, wrestler can auto brawl, prevent speech, use magic item, attempt to take item
HELD, -4 AC against opponents other than wrestler
OIL, if set afire 1d8 on direct hit, another 1d8 next round if not extinguished(p.49)
OIL, if ignited by wick/ fuse, those within 5' of impact get 1d6 dmg, save v death ray
HOLY WATER, 1d8 dmg to undead: breaks on corporals, must pour on incorporals
HOLY WATER, undead within 5' of impact get 1d6 damage
TURN UNDEAD, player rolls d20, if beat number on table, 2d6 undead affected(p.50)
TURN UNDEAD, if fail (or partial failure) cannot try again until after one full turn
ENERGY DRAIN, negative level, lose 1 HD worth hp, -1 on attack and save rolls(p51)
CON LOSS, regain 1 point per day with normal rest, save vs death ray for final point
CON LOSS, if con modifier changes, then lose/gain hp appropriately
DEAFNESS, surprised on 1-3 on 1d6, -1 to init(p.52)
BLINDNESS, surprised on 1-4 on 1d6, -4 to attack rolls and AC, -2 to init
natarded

Re: BFRPG Combat Cheat Sheet

Post by natarded »

I'm brand new to this so it might be a dumb question but i dont understand the 10 minute turns and 10 second combat turns. Do I as a GM actually time them or are they left to the players imagination?
targenthan

Post by targenthan »

Approximate time tracking is usually done by the GM.
natarded

Post by natarded »

So I am supposed to time it with a stopwatch or something? And how does that work if me and my group are new to it, I feel like 10 seconds isn't very long to figure out die rolls and that kind of thing.
targenthan

Post by targenthan »

Combat and how to tackle encounters is detailed further on in the rules. Part 5 'The Encounter'. Time is relative to the player's character's actions - not necessarily in how encounters play out with the players. Players aren't expected to outline their actions and roll dice all in 10sec for example. I haven't ever played this way.
Solomoriah
Site Admin

Post by Solomoriah »

A ten second combat round can take ten minutes to resolve in real life; meanwhile, a ten minute game turn can be done in ten seconds (or far less, if the characters are for instance moving through the boring parts of a dungeon and consuming multiple turns in a single move).

Ten seconds is how much time the characters get, not how long you or your players have to do things.

BTW: You might want to watch some actual play videos. I have one complete and one incomplete series on my Youtube channel; here's the playlist: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3X2hwzU ... gFsBd-920-
My personal site: www.gonnerman.org
natarded

Post by natarded »

Awesome thank you! I was trying to find gameplay but i kept seeing DND instead of BFRPG videos so I'll definitely check out your channel.
Boggo

Post by Boggo »

old school D&D play (not the unrelated game that is 3 edition to 5 edition) will be almost the same as BFRPG, armour classes working the other way around is really the main difference.
No matter where you go...there you are
Solomoriah
Site Admin

Post by Solomoriah »

If you use strict BX turn order, game play will be different in that game; never really did that though.

For 1E, by-the-book initiative order is crazy complicated (there's a whole supplement on the subject over on Dragonsfoot called ADDICT). Apparently it's also available on Knights & Knaves. This page has a link: https://index.rpg.net/display-entry.phtml?mainid=13318

BFRPG is a lot simpler, to be honest.
My personal site: www.gonnerman.org
targenthan

Post by targenthan »

OMG Yes - re BFRPG being simpler - thanks for this link btw Chris.