Basic Fantasy Field Guide Volume 1

Creating game materials? Monsters, spells, classes, adventures? This is the place!
Seven

Re: Basic Fantasy Field Guide Volume 1

Post by Seven »

Infernal, Ice Devil

"In addition, an ice devil can cast magic missile once per hour at a level
equivalent to its HD (typically 3rd-level caster)."

The HD given is 3, so it would be simpler and clearer to just say that it's firing a single missile.
It's true that a GM could change the HD or any part of the stats, but that holds for every monster. I'd be tempted to let the devil cast at the 4th level and fire 2 missiles, but that's a different story.
Seven

Post by Seven »

Infernal, Imp

" It is able to change at-will into the form of a massive spider, raven, or giant rat, all with a devilish look"

While there are stats for the giant rat in the basic rules, there is no published stats for either the raven nor the massive spider. It would be easy to add in.

Infernal, Succubus*

No. of Attacks: 2 claws + special or by weapon

Not sure if this is correct. I presume the special is the spell like powers and that they can be used in addition to her physical attack but that would still be true if she is using a weapon.
Maybe 2 claws or by weapon/special ?

Infernal, Quasit*

"able to change at will into the form of a gigantic centipede, huge bat, or a wolf"

Again, we have stats for the wolf in the basic rules, but not for the huge bat or the gigantic centipede. I think we can simply go with the giant centipede instead, but the giant bat has a wingspan of 15 feet and the huge bat should be around 6 feet.

Infernal, Spined Devil*

No. Appearing: Wild 1d4+1, Lair 3d6

Seems a bit weird. I am not expecting infernals to have lair numbers.
Also, why would they be found only in wilderness?

Infernal, Vega*

No. of Attacks: 1 weapon or whip

Should that be 1 weapon, usually a whip? or something like that?
Or maybe 1 whip or other weapon + special?

Damage: By weapon + 2 or 2d6 or special

I think the description should explain that the Vega does 2d6 damage with its whip and normal weapon damage +2 with other weapons. The special attack is an extra attack when the Vega is able to brush against its opponent, so it should be + special not or special.

Vrock

No. of Attacks: 2 claws / 2 talons / 1 bite

Should have the option to use a 2-handed weapon instead of the claws.
Probably weapon +3 damage.
They are the warrior of the infernals.
Not sure what other form they can take. Never heard of it.
Maybe an example would be nice.
Seven

Post by Seven »

Jack O'Lantern

"This monster is a construct similar to a golem, and thus is immune to poison, fire, charm, and sleep."

Golems are imbued with an elemental spirit and are immune to most magical and supernatural effects, so I find it a curious wording. Maybe it would make more sense to just say that as a construct they are immune to poison, charm and sleep and that being animated by a fire elemental spirit, they are also immune to fire.
Seven

Post by Seven »

Kraken

HD 36**

When I calculate the XP I get 18,500 rather than 18,450.

No. of Attacks: 10 tentacles or 1 bite
Damage: 7d6 (x10) or 4d6

I would imagine it wouldn't be attacking with all tentacles every round. It probably needs to use some to anchor itself or to swim. Also, wouldn't the bite just be an extra attack against a victim held by a tentacle?
Seven

Post by Seven »

Lizard, Shocker
Morale: 7

" A solitary lizard flees once it delivers its shock"

Maybe Morale should be 2 if solitary.

Locathah

Morale: 7
Same thing. Could have a lower morale value if unarmed.
Seven

Post by Seven »

Mohrg

This seems to be a generic 3.5 monster and the description has apparently been partially lifted from an other source. That's fine, but I'm not familiar with this creature and I find it leaves some gaps. Being turned as a vampire, a Mohrg is an intelligent being, which should be stated. It exists only to continue experiencing the joy of killing. I find that important. Creatures killed by a Mohrg are supposed to arise instantly as zombies under the Mohrg control. That's a key ability, meaning that there will be an army of zombies surrounding it. Finally, the physical description is lacking. The Mohrg looks like an ordinary zombies and thus can hide amongst its zombie spawns. Also, a description of the tongue would be most useful. Let say it's reach is the same as the height of the Mohrg and that it is completely stored inside it's now otherwise useless stomach when not in use, so the effect is like that of a frog eating a fly.
Seven

Post by Seven »

Odeum

Very detailed, but perhaps missing a physical description.
There is a reference, towards the end, to its "normal nebulous form".

From what I gather it's a floating, ghost-like, incorporeal apparition, my interpretation of the nebulous form is that it looks like a normal person, but somewhat out of focus.
Seven

Post by Seven »

Orc, Snow

No. Appearing: 2d4, Wild 3d6, Lair 10d6, Horde 10d20

Is Horde defined anywhere? Maybe it should be mentioned in the Introduction that describes the stats.
Seven

Post by Seven »

Otyugh

I'm not sure which version this is inspired from but 1d4 for the tentacle damage seems light.
I mean, this is a 500lb beast with thorns on its tentacles.

No. Appearing: 1, Lair 1d3+1, Wild 1d2

This is supposed to be a solitary monster. Maybe 2 could be found on occasion in a Lair. Remember that the Lair number does not include offsprings. I don't get the Wild number at all. They live in trash heaps. There's no trash heaps in the wild. That's definitively not one of my wandering monsters.
chiisu81

Post by chiisu81 »

Thank you Seven for going through alllll the entries 8-)
So far I haven't seen anything I've disagreed with.
What I'd like to do is:
  1. Let you complete your edits at your pace/convenience
  2. Have Alman, Smoot, Solo, and others quote/reply on anything they disagree with
  3. Once those 2 items are completed, I will begin work on r43