Basic Fantasy Field Guide Volume 1

Creating game materials? Monsters, spells, classes, adventures? This is the place!
Jim1804

Re: Basic Fantasy Field Guide Volume 1

Post by Jim1804 »

coureur_d_bois wrote: Thu Jan 12, 2023 7:03 am
Solomoriah wrote: Thu Jan 12, 2023 12:39 am Identifying the authors for BF1 has been hard after all these years, but I've now received consent from all but two and I'm pretty sure I've identified both of them.
Is there SRD content in BF1? I ran it a year ago and don't recall anything that could come from the SRD. What section(s) would be problematic?
I know there are Stirges in BF1, which I think have been reworked. Probably some other monsters that have been changed in the recent efforts - but true, 99% of it is all original. Probably just renaming some creatures.
AlMan

Post by AlMan »

I know it may be very late to point this out but many of the Dinosaurs and some other creatures (Shovel Tusk Elephant, Giant Jellyfish and Komodo Dragon to name a few) in this book are from the JN 2 Monkey Island adventures. One creature that wasn't moved from that book to this is the Dimetrodon/Edaphosaurus would now be a good time to move these creatures into here or would it be better to move it into Field Guide Volume 3?
Demetrius

Post by Demetrius »

LibraryLass wrote: Wed Jan 11, 2023 6:23 pm Canein
Not from SRD, nothing to worry about.
I guess I'd repost it here (I've also written about it in the Artwork subforum): caneins are now visually indistinguishable from kobolds.

If kobolds are dog people, and so are caneins, it would be nice to know how the two interact:

— Is this left for a GM to decide?
— Are caneins related to kobolds?
— Are caneins a subtype of kobolds?
— Are caneins different from kobolds but just look similar?

Even if this is left for a GM to decide, I would still write this in the description, because I think it's useful for a GM to know about a similar species.
Boggo

Post by Boggo »

Demetrius wrote: Sun Jan 15, 2023 7:40 am
LibraryLass wrote: Wed Jan 11, 2023 6:23 pm Canein
Not from SRD, nothing to worry about.
I guess I'd repost it here (I've also written about it in the Artwork subforum): caneins are now visually indistinguishable from kobolds.

If kobolds are dog people, and so are caneins, it would be nice to know how the two interact:

— Is this left for a GM to decide?
— Are caneins related to kobolds?
— Are caneins a subtype of kobolds?
— Are caneins different from kobolds but just look similar?

Even if this is left for a GM to decide, I would still write this in the description, because I think it's useful for a GM to know about a similar species.
I would make them unrelated, however I would add something in FG1 that Caneins are often treated with distrust and fear because they are mistaken for Kobolds. Nothing needs to be done to the Kobold description as Basic Rulebook shouldn't reference out to Supplements, the supplements should reference back to the Basic Rulebook if there is a connection (In my opinion anyway)
No matter where you go...there you are
Solomoriah
Site Admin

Post by Solomoriah »

Kobolds are much smaller than Caneins. We have precedent for creatures that are basically alike except for size...

halflings and humans

:D
My personal site: www.gonnerman.org
SmootRK

Post by SmootRK »

Not related to current kobold (and Canein) discussion, but I came across an image for Anubians that really captures the right feel.

Of course, we cannot use this directly.
20230115_082430.jpg
20230115_082430.jpg (299.01 KiB) Viewed 1151 times
Is it really the end, not some crazy dream?
Boggo

Post by Boggo »

Solomoriah wrote: Sun Jan 15, 2023 10:24 am Kobolds are much smaller than Caneins. We have precedent for creatures that are basically alike except for size...

halflings and humans

:D
Caneins are also much more homogenous in appearance, they all look like boxers, hmmm that raises a thought, do all members of a Kobold tribe resemble a single breed? do they even breed true, so Doberman type parents have Doberman offspring, hmmmm not really Rule book stuff but could make for interesting world building fluff
SmootRK

Post by SmootRK »

I love the new kobold style for its distinctive fresh concept. BFRPG is stronger when it has its own vibe for various concepts instead of excessive duplication... so long as the various genre-niches are covered.
Is it really the end, not some crazy dream?
Solomoriah
Site Admin

Post by Solomoriah »

Intelligent beings "breed true" for cultural reasons, which we would probably call racism. But we never said any of these critters were nice.

And a band of mongrels could be interesting.
My personal site: www.gonnerman.org
Boggo

Post by Boggo »

Solomoriah wrote: Sun Jan 15, 2023 11:06 am Intelligent beings "breed true" for cultural reasons, which we would probably call racism. But we never said any of these critters were nice.

And a band of mongrels could be interesting.
Salty, Outcast Kobolds! roaming the night doing whatever it is the Kobolds ACTUALLY do, and NO-ONE can stop them!

ok I'm convincing myself more and more they are the totem animal of BFRPG :rofl: