Basic Fantasy Field Guide Volume 1

Creating game materials? Monsters, spells, classes, adventures? This is the place!
Seven

Re: Basic Fantasy Field Guide Volume 1

Post by Seven »

My first impression was that effect 6. was something similar to the troglodyte effect but I was just mistaken, so maybe the best way is to be pedantic on the first description and just use victim thereafter.
Solomoriah
Site Admin

Post by Solomoriah »

Sorry, let me restate my position: After any other changes are made in response to your suggestions, I will review them and most likely write clarifying text for any situations I still find potentially ambiguous. Making this the best release yet is absolutely my goal.
My personal site: www.gonnerman.org
Seven

Post by Seven »

Satyr

No. of Attacks:1 head butt/1 dagger or 1 shortbow

I let them use swords, but then they forego the head butt.
So, I would suggest 1 head butt/ 1dagger or 1 larger weapon.

I go with something like 50% dagger, 30% dagger and shortbow, 20% short sword and 10% longsword (which they might use with both hands). That offers more possibility for magic weapon use.

No. Appearing:1, Lair 1d10, Wild 1d6

I'd go with 1d4, Wild 2d4, Lair 2d6.

"A satyr is related to its lesser kin (fauns and ibix), but are much rarer and more reclusive."

I think originally Satyr and Faun were the same thing and the Ibix (red satyrs) were the very rare ones. But I guess it makes sense to have the higher HD creatures less common, but maybe not to that extend. I'd go with "rarer" instead of "much rarer".

Scrab

No. of Attacks: 2 claws

Probably 2 pincers, like the giant crab.

Damage:1d8/1d8

Should do at least the same damage as the smaller HD 3 giant crabs, so 2d6/2d6.

Save As: Fighter: 3

Should be Fighter: 5

They should have extensive peripheral vision which negate any bonus from attacking them from behind, like the giant crabs have.

Sea Cat

Movement: 10' Swim 40'

I'd up the Swim speed to match that of a shark. Swim 60'

"Pairs and prides of sea cats attack in concert, trying to wear the opponent down until one beast can dispatch it."

I find that confusing and not altogether helpful. Maybe say that a sea cat will use all of its attack against a single opponent and that none will stand on the sidelines even if that means taking turns against a single prey.

"A sea cat that hits with both claw attacks deals an extra 2d6 points of rending damage."

It's unclear where this rending damage comes from. I'd say that upon scoring hits with both claw attacks, the bite hits automatically and does 3d6 points of rending damage.

Maybe add that the can survive for hours outside water and that they are not afraid to venture on beaches.
Last edited by Seven on Sat Nov 20, 2021 10:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
SmootRK

Post by SmootRK »

Originally, Fauns and Ibix were written for my kids campaign as playable races. Obviously not totally original in design concept, but the Fauns were written to emulate the kinder gentler sort of creature like CSLewis's Tumnus the faun from Narnia. The Ibix version was simply to have an alt version that works well as bad guys, and it has some inspiration from "diablo video game (original that is, never played later ones).

The Satyr entry came later from another contributor, but clearly wanted to link to them to the others. IMO, the Satyr is the rare "true fey or sidhe creature", while the Faun/Ibix are relatively more common (yet are lesser races) that trace their origins to true Satyrs.

Just the actual history/origins of what we have in the Field Guide... was never meant as write ups of versions of the original greek sources.

As far as wording/lingo, you are probably right about the "rarer" uses.
Is it really the end, not some crazy dream?
Seven

Post by Seven »

Sea Hag

Morale: 8

Should probably be more like 11.
Seven

Post by Seven »

Seahorse, Giant

Hit Dice: 1

I'd bump that to HD 2. It's kinda like a riding horse.

No. Appearing: Wild 10d10

That is a lot and a weird distribution. How about 2d20?

Maybe mention that they have infravision with a range of 120'. (It's dark down there.)

Traditional seahorse riders are aquatic elves--which we don't have--and Locathah which are in this book. Possibly mention that some locathah train a small number of them which are reserved for messengers and scouts and that those have a morale of 8. (Sahuagins just eat them.)
Seven

Post by Seven »

Shambler

Hit Dice: 13** (AB +10)

AB+10 is the normal bonus for HD 13, so maybe should not be mentioned.

My suggestion is to change the HD to : 8 to 13.
The goes in pair with changing the HD of the lesser version in Field Guide 2 to (3 to 7).
It makes little sense in my mind to have these creatures exist only as HD 3 or 13 and nothing in between.
Would require also adjusting the Save as: and XP: entries.

No. Appearing: 1

Should have a lair number, probably just 1, Lair 1.

Treasure Type: B, O

Lair treasure with extra scrolls? Maybe just B?

I would also suggest half damage from cold and minimal damage from fire (treat all die roll as 1).
Last edited by Seven on Thu Nov 25, 2021 12:01 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Solomoriah
Site Admin

Post by Solomoriah »

Seven wrote: Mon Nov 22, 2021 8:48 am Shambler

No, this is intentional. Table lookups are bad. AB should always be given where it is not the same as hit dice.
Seven wrote: Mon Nov 22, 2021 8:48 am My suggestion is to change the HD to : 8 to 13.
The goes in pair with changing the HD of the lesser version in Field Guide 2 to (3 to 7).
It makes little sense in my mind to have these creatures exist only as HD 3 or 13 and nothing in between. Would require also adjusting the Save as: and XP: entries.

I would also suggest half damage from cold and minimal damage from fire (treat all die roll as 1).
I'll consider these changes. Adding sizes to the monster does not invalidate any previous usages, but changing their resistances does, so it's less likely to happen.
My personal site: www.gonnerman.org
Seven

Post by Seven »

Solomoriah wrote: Mon Nov 22, 2021 10:22 am
Seven wrote: Mon Nov 22, 2021 8:48 am Shambler

No, this is intentional. Table lookups are bad. AB should always be given where it is not the same as hit dice.
I totally misunderstood that rule. I thought AB was to be mentioned only when it was not the value from the table.

So, AB so should be shown when HD is above 8. Gotcha.
Seven

Post by Seven »

Shield Guardian*

Hit Dice:15+20** (+5)

Maybe (AB+5).

Treasure Type: B, O

B is a Lair treasure and O is only scrolls.

I'd suggest L, which is a few gems and jewelry that could be mounted on the guardian.

Skeleton, Crimson Bones

"Each time a crimson bones is reduced to 0 hp will appear to be destroyed as normal; however, 1d4 rounds later it will rise again with half its previous hp allotment (round up).

Maybe "Each time a crimson bones is reduced to 0 hp, it will appear to be destroyed as normal;"