Basic Fantasy Field Guide Volume 1

Creating game materials? Monsters, spells, classes, adventures? This is the place!
SmootRK

Re: Basic Fantasy Field Guide Volume 1

Post by SmootRK »

Even though the image does not necessarily make it apparent, the Chelonian is based upon freshwater aquatic "snapping" sort of turtles which (in my mind) are more like the leatherback sorts. Also, they were balanced out a bit for use as a playable race (New Races Supplement), so thought on that ought to be considered.

Not saying it can't be considered for change, just that the race is not really based upon a tortoise (hard shell sort). One need not even consider them in the simplistic animal with humanoid legs/arms sort of way... they are meant as a sort of alt race to traditional lizard men (with their own particular traits) inhabiting similar swampy regions.
Is it really the end, not some crazy dream?
Dimirag

Post by Dimirag »

More on Cadaver:
"The conditions that create a Cadaver is unknown"
Should it be "The conditions that create a Cadaver are unknown"?
Seven wrote: Sun Oct 17, 2021 8:18 am The Turn Undead power is a bit weird. I supposed it's used to hunt undead for sustenance.
Maybe the idea was that it can use it to control them as evil clerics do on some games, if that's the idea, it should be clarify.
Sorry for any misspelling or writing error, I am not a native English speaker
Drawing portfolio: https://www.instagram.com/m.serena_dimirag/
Seven

Post by Seven »

SmootRK wrote: Sun Oct 17, 2021 9:55 am Even though the image does not necessarily make it apparent, the Chelonian is based upon freshwater aquatic "snapping" sort of turtles which (in my mind) are more like the leatherback sorts. Also, they were balanced out a bit for use as a playable race (New Races Supplement), so thought on that ought to be considered.

Not saying it can't be considered for change, just that the race is not really based upon a tortoise (hard shell sort). One need not even consider them in the simplistic animal with humanoid legs/arms sort of way... they are meant as a sort of alt race to traditional lizard men (with their own particular traits) inhabiting similar swampy regions.
Interesting. For a player character, if the shell is no better than plate armor, it might work out as a disadvantage.

More details on the nature of the shell would also be an improvement.
Seven

Post by Seven »

Death Dragon

Movement:
30' Fly 80'

Should probably have a turning distance of (15) or (20) unless it's way more maneuverable than a live dragon.

Also, it seems to be missing the size of the breath weapon, like length 100' width 55', for example.

The Derej creatures are very short on description.
Does the Derej Cat looks like a housecat? The HP is low, but the claws are the same as those of a lion.
The Cobra does poison damage, but it I think it's treated as bite damage with no saving throws which could be more explicitly explained.
The Rat does more damage than a Giant Rat, so bigger than 4 feet long?

Dragonne

It says 1 bite/2 claws instead of the usual 2 claws/1 bite.
Which is not a big deal, but the damage is listed as:
Damage: 2d6/2d6/2d4

Draugr

"Spellcasters in the midst of casting a spell who fail their save lose the spell they were
attempting to cast."

I didn't think spell interruption was a thing in BFRPG. Spells don't even have casting times.
Maybe change to "Spellcasters who fail their save are unable to cast any spell for the remainder of the round."?
Seven

Post by Seven »

Ettin

It's described as "a vicious and unpredictable hunter", but it's clearly a two-headed giant.
That should probably be stated before " each arm is controlled by one head".

Faun (and Ibix)

I don't think "miniature weapon" is the right choice of words here.
It's about the size of an halfling and likewise it's limited to a short sword or the like, but a miniature weapon is what 1-foot creature would be using.

Flying Man-of-War

"A Flying Man-Of-Wars is a horse-sized flying jellyfish"

Shouldn't be plural.

It's basically a flying gelatinous cube, so maybe a type V treasure lingering within the creature would be appropriate.
Dimirag

Post by Dimirag »

Seven wrote: Tue Oct 19, 2021 9:55 am I didn't think spell interruption was a thing in BFRPG. Spells don't even have casting times.
Maybe change to "Spellcasters who fail their save are unable to cast any spell for the remainder of the round."?
Basic Fantasy-r107, page 15 wrote:If a spellcaster is attacked (even if not hit) or must make a saving throw (whether successful or not) on the Initiative number on which he or she is casting a spell, the spell is spoiled and lost.
I think your change makes sense as a special ability.
Sorry for any misspelling or writing error, I am not a native English speaker
Drawing portfolio: https://www.instagram.com/m.serena_dimirag/
Seven

Post by Seven »

Totally missed that.
But you're right that as written the special ability does not seem special.
Seven

Post by Seven »

Gerbalaine

"Gerbalaines are a very small race of fey beings."

Giants are a very small race, meaning there are only a few individuals. Maybe Gerbalaines are a race of very small fey beings. Here is where miniature weapons would be appropriate.

Glyptodon

AC seems a bit low for something covered in bony plates. 19?
It's slow. It's the size of a wagon. It can trample or hit with its tail.
I just watched an elephant trampling an alligator and it seems to me it would not be able to trample a standing humanoid. The elephant used its trunk to hold the alligator while it stepped on it. Maybe the tail attack as a chance to knock you down and then you get trampled which would then hit automatically?
Seven

Post by Seven »

Gump

"A gump communicates with an odd jibbering and slobbery voice that is difficult to understand. It can also speak Common and the languages of goblinoid creatures".

Given than the Appearing number is 1, I think it communicates in Common and Goblinoid languages and does so with an odd Jibbering and slibbery voice, so the 'also' above is not warranted as that leaves me with the impression that it has its own language but nobody to communicate with in that language.
Seven

Post by Seven »

Headless Horseman

Does it have a strength in the 9-12 range or something higher which would imply a damage bonus? Maybe a distribution based on d6 roll?

Illusion Trapper

"The Illusion Trapper is a very proficient hunter."

So it's a kind of scarab?