Basic Fantasy Field Guide Volume 1

Creating game materials? Monsters, spells, classes, adventures? This is the place!
coureur_d_bois

Re: Basic Fantasy Field Guide Volume 1

Post by coureur_d_bois »

Seriously Jim1804, I think we have a telepathic link or something. :shock:
Jim1804

Post by Jim1804 »

It's all this checking - it warps our brains in a similar way!
Solomoriah
Site Admin

Post by Solomoriah »

You guys are doing stellar work!

When you get done here, let me know; I'd like to get an adventure book cooking but I'll have to check my consent list.
My personal site: www.gonnerman.org
Vindeishi

Post by Vindeishi »

Monsters beginning with Letter O
pp. 53-55, r42

Red is verbatim, Italics are too close for comfort.

Octopus Fungi: An Octopus Fungi appears similar to other giant fungi such as shriekers... (Comparing to "Violet Fungus")

Odeum: The odeum is not in the SRD; however, it's description and powers are very ghost-adjacent. For example: Instead of attacking, an odeum can attempt to possess a living creature using a magical ability similar to magic jar (as if cast by a 10th level Magic-User), except that no receptacle is required. The target is allowed a save vs. Spells modified its Wisdom bonus to resist this attack. A creature who successfully saves is immune to possession by that odeum for a full day... Likewise, it's attack deals 1d6 damage and has an ability drain attached.

Ogre Mage: An Ogre Mage is a humanoid standing between 9 and 10 feet tall, has 1d4 horns, and 2 large tusks... An ogre mage may cast fly, invisibility, darkness, and polymorph self at-will (one choice per round) as often as desired. Once per day it can cast charm person and sleep. Also once per day it may produce a special cone of cold...

Orc, Snow: ...It speaks the orcish tongue, but may also speak Common, Goblin, or even Giant. (Comparing to "Orc")

Otter: Ok, not in SRD

Otyugh: An Otyugh stands on 4 large legs and has a body 8 feet in diameter, weighing about 500 pounds. Behind its large mouth are 3 tentacles. When so inclined, an otyugh can communicate verbally using the predominate language of the area, usually Common. An otyugh attacks living creatures if it feels threatened or if it is hungry; otherwise it is content to remain hidden. An otyugh slashes and squeezes opponents with its tentacles, which it also uses to drag prey into its mouth. It deals automatic tentacle damage with a successful attack on every round that its prey is held. The bite of an otyugh is diseased and the recipient of the attack must save vs. Poison or contract filth fever (incubation period 1d3 days; 1d3 reduction of Dexterity and 1d3 reduction of Constitution).

Owl, Giant: A Giant Owl is a nocturnal bird of prey, feared for its ability to hunt and attack in near silence. It is intelligent and naturally suspicious. A typical giant owl stands about 9 feet tall, has a wingspan of up to 20 feet, and resembles its smaller cousins in nearly every way. A giant owl attacks by gliding silently just a few feet above its prey and plunging to strike when directly overhead. A giant owl can see five times as far as a human can in dim light.

Owlbear, Firebreathing: ...Like a normal bear, it must hit with both claws to deal hug damage... As goes the owlbear in the core rules, so goes the firebreathing owlbear in the field guide.
Last edited by Vindeishi on Wed Jan 11, 2023 10:51 pm, edited 5 times in total.
coureur_d_bois

Post by coureur_d_bois »

Solomoriah wrote: Wed Jan 11, 2023 9:58 pm You guys are doing stellar work!

When you get done here, let me know; I'd like to get an adventure book cooking but I'll have to check my consent list.
Thanks Solomoriah!

I updated my master post with entry for letter O. As soon as Vindeishi is done reviewing monsters starting with letter O, you can consider the Field Guide entirely reviewed.
Solomoriah
Site Admin

Post by Solomoriah »

Thank you! I have no idea when I'll get to this... the Core Rules are such a big job.
Jim1804

Post by Jim1804 »

Solomoriah wrote: Wed Jan 11, 2023 10:07 pm Thank you! I have no idea when I'll get to this... the Core Rules are such a big job.
We're just trying to stay ahead of the curve!
Solomoriah
Site Admin

Post by Solomoriah »

Identifying the authors for BF1 has been hard after all these years, but I've now received consent from all but two and I'm pretty sure I've identified both of them.
coureur_d_bois

Post by coureur_d_bois »

Solomoriah wrote: Thu Jan 12, 2023 12:39 am Identifying the authors for BF1 has been hard after all these years, but I've now received consent from all but two and I'm pretty sure I've identified both of them.
Is there SRD content in BF1? I ran it a year ago and don't recall anything that could come from the SRD. What section(s) would be problematic?
Boggo

Post by Boggo »

coureur_d_bois wrote: Thu Jan 12, 2023 7:03 am
Solomoriah wrote: Thu Jan 12, 2023 12:39 am Identifying the authors for BF1 has been hard after all these years, but I've now received consent from all but two and I'm pretty sure I've identified both of them.
Is there SRD content in BF1? I ran it a year ago and don't recall anything that could come from the SRD. What section(s) would be problematic?
Everything needs to be checked before re-licensing it, some things will be pretty quick (since most adventures the only thing you'd need to check would be monster descriptions)
No matter where you go...there you are