AA2 Adventure Anthology 2

Creating game materials? Monsters, spells, classes, adventures? This is the place!
Solomoriah
Site Admin

Re: Adventure Anthology 2

Post by Solomoriah »

mattjackson wrote:What this secret method? Have a link somewhere?
No, I'm afraid not. The RPG Primer is one of the few things I actually make money from, and about the only RPG product I don't share for free.

But here's a rundown, taken more or less directly from the book:

First of all, the GM should tell the player who is mapping what scale the map should be in. This isn't revealing any secrets to the player, it's just making the game easier to enjoy. Most classic dungeon interiors are drawn at one square equals either five or ten feet.

Now for an example. I introduce the dungeon this way:
This map is in ten foot squares, and it'll be easiest if you start in the middle of the nearest side of the paper. The stairs are ten feet wide and run down to the north twenty feet, then the corridor runs twenty, branch left ten feet to a door, run ten feet to a door.
It sounds a little odd, but it's a very efficient way to describe a dungeon. Here's what the player would draw.
Player Map 1.png
Player Map 1.png (1.62 KiB) Viewed 6184 times
The player has just assumed north is at the top of the map, which is fine. The stairs "run" twenty feet, then the corridor "runs" another twenty. The next instruction is "branch left" which means that the corridor continues onward past the branch. Alternatives would be "crossroads" (the corridor goes four ways), "turns," or "tees" which means it goes left and right but not onwards. Branch, turn, tee, and crossroads always take a space of their own, just as shown.

The rest of the instructions finish out the map as shown. The players decide to try the door to the left, and after they get it open I say:
This room is thirty feet deep and twenty feet wide and extends left.
Here's the result. "Extends left" tells the player how to lay the room out on the map.
Player Map 2.png
Player Map 2.png (1.82 KiB) Viewed 6185 times
How about a more complicated room? When the players open the other door, I say this:
Start from the left side of the door and follow the wall. Run ten feet, turn right, run twenty feet, turn right, run ten feet, half turn left, diagonal one square, half turn right, run ten feet, turn right, run thirty feet and square it off.
Wow, that sounds complicated, but if you follow along step by step you get this strange room:
Player Map 3.png
Player Map 3.png (2.31 KiB) Viewed 6196 times
My personal site: www.gonnerman.org
Dimirag

Post by Dimirag »

That's the way my groups has been mapping for almost 10 years, its a great method.
Sorry for any misspelling or writing error, I am not a native English speaker
Drawing portfolio: https://www.instagram.com/m.serena_dimirag/
mattjackson

Post by mattjackson »

I have been a GM since 1983 and never had a player map as we played. Ever. In any system I have ran a game in.

Guess every group is different though. ;)
matt jackson
http://www.msjx.org
Solomoriah
Site Admin

Post by Solomoriah »

The Moldvay Basic rules made it clear that it's how the game is played, and that's where I learned. So we've always done it that way.

Hey, if you are interested in doing some maps, can I interest you in taking a look at CS1 Castle by the Sea? Having consistent maps in that adventure would be really nice.
mattjackson

Post by mattjackson »

I read the intro of CS1, so it is just the two maps presented at the end of the PDF? I can probably do that, give me a few days and I will see what I can come up with.
matt jackson
SmootRK

Post by SmootRK »

I have seen a few of your maps and I love the style. Thanks for contributing!
Is it really the end, not some crazy dream?
Solomoriah
Site Admin

Post by Solomoriah »

mattjackson wrote:I read the intro of CS1, so it is just the two maps presented at the end of the PDF? I can probably do that, give me a few days and I will see what I can come up with.
WHOOPS.

I was thinking of CS2 The Pit; CS1 has all MapMatic maps, but the maps for CS2 are inconsistent.

I shouldn't post late at night when I'm tired... sorry.
mattjackson

Post by mattjackson »

I'll take a look at CS2 then and let you know.
matt jackson
jhhoffmann

Post by jhhoffmann »

Hi,

The discussion thread for The Temple at Hillman Point seems to be locked. It seems the plan was for this adventure to be included in AA2, so I hope this is the right place for this comment.

As before, I ask for party size and level information to be included near the beginning of the adventure. The other adventures on the island of Gulshan actually do include such information, but this one does not.

As the first encounter is 6 Ghouls (HD 2), I assume this is not for a party of level 1 characters, which would be my assumption if no party level information is given.

Jonathan
chiisu81

Post by chiisu81 »

Yes, I locked that thread when I submitted it for AA2. Temple at Hillman Point is meant for 3-5 characters of levels 2-4. I'll update the copy I have up on Showcase, this post will be the record for whenever the newer version of AA2 is posted (as I have another adventure also submitted for AA2).