Basic Fantasy Field Guide Volume 2

Creating game materials? Monsters, spells, classes, adventures? This is the place!
Solomoriah
Site Admin

Re: Basic Fantasy Field Guide 2

Post by Solomoriah »

Will try to get to it soon.

What happened to Dropbox?
My personal site: www.gonnerman.org
Clever_Munkey

Post by Clever_Munkey »

Should the Quizmaster really attack after 1d4-1 rounds? What if a 1 is rolled? They just ask the question and immediately start blowing people’s minds out? :|
Call me Joe. Mr. Munkey is my father.
chiisu81

Post by chiisu81 »

Can probably just change it to 1d4.

r35 is in Projects folder.
Solomoriah
Site Admin

Post by Solomoriah »

Editing commentary: We need to watch the titles of the various books. It's the Basic Fantasy Field Guide, for example; I keep finding "RPG" stuck in the middle. And I'd like to say Basic Fantasy Field Guide volume 1 rather than just Basic Fantasy Field Guide 1. I'm fixing them as I come to them, but I thought I'd put it out there. Any other books being misnamed should be corrected as well; I don't know of any examples right now, but let's keep our eyes open.
Solomoriah
Site Admin

Post by Solomoriah »

Mr. Smoot, if you are available, I'd like to talk to you about the Nehnite. I know my release of the added text regarding Nazgoreans threw you for a loop, as the expression goes, but I have to say I like the whole alien magic thing. We need to find a way to reconcile them with the other Nazgoreans.

I have two problems to solve here. One is the obvious magic issue; the other is, who named them Nehnites? Nazgoreans do not communicate with beings not from their own dimension, so it's not what they call themselves. This is why Nazgoreans have the names they have... people who see them say, wow, that was a froggy-looking man, or hey, that wolf had spider eyes. So did someone name them? If there's a story here, we should hint at it (but not actually tell it).

So, the magic. I like the alien magic thing, it's quite cool. I'm saying there's no magic in their dimension, or at least none they can access; did the Nehnites perhaps invade some other realm and learn the secrets of their magic? Or perhaps Nehnites are trying to acquire human (elven, etc.) magicks, but finding it as hard to read "our" books as we find it to understand them... they're getting it wrong, just in creative and interesting ways.

I'm interested in ideas here. The description should call out this difference specifically; we don't have to tell the whole story, but we should acknowledge it and give a few hints. And guys, I know I called out Smoot, but everyone should feel free to join in the discussion.
Solomoriah
Site Admin

Post by Solomoriah »

Announcing!

The Basic Fantasy Field Guide Volume 2, Release 35 -- October 30, 2019
This release contains more edits by James Lemon and Chris Gonnerman. It's beginning to take shape!

https://basicfantasy.org/downloads.html#fieldguide2
SmootRK

Post by SmootRK »

Solomoriah wrote: Wed Oct 30, 2019 8:56 pm Mr. Smoot, if you are available, I'd like to talk to you about the Nehnite. I know my release of the added text regarding Nazgoreans threw you for a loop, as the expression goes, but I have to say I like the whole alien magic thing. We need to find a way to reconcile them with the other Nazgoreans.

I have two problems to solve here. One is the obvious magic issue; the other is, who named them Nehnites? Nazgoreans do not communicate with beings not from their own dimension, so it's not what they call themselves. This is why Nazgoreans have the names they have... people who see them say, wow, that was a froggy-looking man, or hey, that wolf had spider eyes. So did someone name them? If there's a story here, we should hint at it (but not actually tell it).

So, the magic. I like the alien magic thing, it's quite cool. I'm saying there's no magic in their dimension, or at least none they can access; did the Nehnites perhaps invade some other realm and learn the secrets of their magic? Or perhaps Nehnites are trying to acquire human (elven, etc.) magicks, but finding it as hard to read "our" books as we find it to understand them... they're getting it wrong, just in creative and interesting ways.

I'm interested in ideas here. The description should call out this difference specifically; we don't have to tell the whole story, but we should acknowledge it and give a few hints. And guys, I know I called out Smoot, but everyone should feel free to join in the discussion.
Name Nehnites is just something made up. I think I heard it during the movie Dark City, but probably spelled/pronounced subtly different. No real story for the name, so just something that popped in while writing them up.

Magic...yes, I think you are really onto something with the stolen magic idea. It could explain why the otherwise non-magical beings have begun to dabble into those energies, albeit with odd results so far.

Btw, Nazgoreans are one of my favorite creatures. They are unique to BFRPG and very original, they are ideal at filling a void that other game systems use creatures that are proprietary.
Is it really the end, not some crazy dream?
teaman

Post by teaman »

And here is a volcano fairy for the field guide 2:
Attachments
volcan_fiary.png
volcan_fiary.png (5.09 MiB) Viewed 5935 times
Teaman is the sole proprietor of Sharp Mountain Games at roll20 and DTRPG

https://marketplace.roll20.net/browse/p ... tain-games
http://drivethrurpg.com/browse/pub/8418 ... tain-Games
Solomoriah
Site Admin

Post by Solomoriah »

SmootRK wrote: Thu Oct 31, 2019 11:56 am Name Nehnites is just something made up. I think I heard it during the movie Dark City, but probably spelled/pronounced subtly different. No real story for the name, so just something that popped in while writing them up.
Hmm. Will have to think on that some more. I don't want to change the name, just give some sketch of an explanation.
SmootRK wrote: Thu Oct 31, 2019 11:56 am Magic...yes, I think you are really onto something with the stolen magic idea. It could explain why the otherwise non-magical beings have begun to dabble into those energies, albeit with odd results so far.
I'll take a crack at this, if you don't mind. Just a little flavor text to smooth over the gap between the missing info I restored to the original Field Guide and your existing description of the Nehnite.
SmootRK wrote: Thu Oct 31, 2019 11:56 am Btw, Nazgoreans are one of my favorite creatures. They are unique to BFRPG and very original, they are ideal at filling a void that other game systems use creatures that are proprietary.
Thanks! The frogmen actually came from another home game I ran, set in the 1930's in a world where anything goes. That was a fun game, but the poor froggies didn't get much play, so I brought them back and fleshed them out for BFRPG. (Also, the hydramander is something I dreamed up on the spot for One Night in Slateholm.)
Jeff Wrbelis

Post by Jeff Wrbelis »

Can i gets me an art credit in there? ;)