Basic Fantasy Field Guide Volume 2

Creating game materials? Monsters, spells, classes, adventures? This is the place!
Seven

Re: Basic Fantasy Field Guide Volume 2

Post by Seven »

I'm not going to repeat my old post, but I still feel the armorer is missing too much information.
Anyone willing to play test it and see how it goes?
chiisu81

Post by chiisu81 »

I meant to include in my last post that your notes for the armorer still needed to be addressed.
Dimirag

Post by Dimirag »

About the Armorer, long time ago Solo asked for clarifications, but the creator never replied... maybe its time to jump and make some edits... anyone with ideas feel free to create your own if this is not enough.

Warning
I'm about to butcher the creature

Armorer

AC: 16
HD: 4*
No. of attacks: 2 tendrils or 1 constrict
Damage: 1d6/1d6 or 2d4
Movement: 20'
No. Appearing: 1
Save As: Fighter 4
Moral: 8
Treasure Type: None
XP: 400

An Armorer is a parasitic creature that resemble an elaborately ornament armor of any sort. Armorers normally use the bodies of other to live and move and will 80% of the time found on an victim's body. The type of armor resembled by the armorer is randomly determined:

% Armor Type
01-34 Leather
35-67 Chain
68-100 Plate

The armorer instinctively knows whom can don the armor it resembles and will focus on one such person, this person when first encountered with an armorer must make a Save vs. Spell or be enthralled with the armor, wanting at any cost to have it and wear it.

Once on the victim's body the armorer will slowly feed, each day the victim must make a save vs Death or receive one negative level. Forcefully trying to remove the armorer, or any direct damage will cause it to constrict the victim's body for 2d4 damage each round. A victim that manages to remove the armorer will have his negative levels removed at a rate of 1 per week of rest.

Although rare, an armorer is able to fight on its own by unfolding tendrils but it's focus will be on running so it can catch another pray.
Sorry for any misspelling or writing error, I am not a native English speaker
Drawing portfolio: https://www.instagram.com/m.serena_dimirag/
Seven

Post by Seven »

Not bad. Originally it was intended as a type of doppleganger which made it hard to play.

I like it better as a kind of cursed armor like this.

Maybe it appears to the wearer as a magic +something armor but in fact functions as a regular armor?

Now the slowly feeding on the wearer sounds good, but not being able to remove the armor will give the jig up during the first rest or when the adventure is over. The same will happen as soon as you drain a level.

It would be more sneaky if it was a kind of leach instead of a kind of vampire and caused additional damage on each wound. That way the armorer would be able to avoid detection until the host is dead. Suspicion would arise only when taking an abnormally large wound, like 10 damage against an orc. Maybe an effect for someone who hasn't taken a wound over several days would be to become prone to self-inflicted wounds--as in a fumble.

What do you think?
Solomoriah
Site Admin

Post by Solomoriah »

Armor that refused to be removed and which can only normally be damaged by also damaging the wearer would really be a pretty nasty thing. I like it.
My personal site: www.gonnerman.org
Dimirag

Post by Dimirag »

Seven wrote: Fri Jan 22, 2021 9:54 am Not bad. Originally it was intended as a type of doppleganger which made it hard to play.

I like it better as a kind of cursed armor like this.
I tried, and I mean, REALLY TRIED to keep it as the doppelganger armor, but it was mechanically complex and wonky having to consider lots of thing, so I though about this kind of vampiric mimic :twisted:
Maybe it appears to the wearer as a magic +something armor but in fact functions as a regular armor?
The armor itself looks really astonishing, which may indicate the presence of magic, but there is no direct relation between looks and magic benefits, I handle under a detect magic or object analysis spell it would reveal that its no object nor magical.
The charm like effect take care of the "I want to use it" even if you are replacing your +4 divine winged scale armor for an awesomely looking leather armor.
Now the slowly feeding on the wearer sounds good, but not being able to remove the armor will give the jig up during the first rest or when the adventure is over. The same will happen as soon as you drain a level.
There is nothing preventing the character from removing his armor, but he is compelled to use it as often as possible, he may in fact, want to sleep while wearing it.
The key here is "forcefully removed", once anybody notes what is happening with the victim (either because they see him not removing his armor at all, seeing him deteriorate or by knowing what that armor actually is) and tries to remove the armor by force, then it is when it starts kicking back.
It would be more sneaky if it was a kind of leach instead of a kind of vampire and caused additional damage on each wound. That way the armorer would be able to avoid detection until the host is dead. Suspicion would arise only when taking an abnormally large wound, like 10 damage against an orc. Maybe an effect for someone who hasn't taken a wound over several days would be to become prone to self-inflicted wounds--as in a fumble.
I though about using different approaches to the damage thing, from inflicting extra damage to feeding from open wounds, etc but it looked to situational and required extra rules for when those specific situations did not apply.
Sorry for any misspelling or writing error, I am not a native English speaker
Drawing portfolio: https://www.instagram.com/m.serena_dimirag/
Zoltors Inkwell

Post by Zoltors Inkwell »

Sewer Boar. I have been drawing a lot of boars lately and thought I would knock this one out.
Boar_Sewer_by_MWByouk.png
Boar_Sewer_by_MWByouk.png (5.43 MiB) Viewed 4030 times
My personal art page.
https://www.facebook.com/MWByouk
teaman

Post by teaman »

Zoltors Inkwell wrote: Sat Jan 23, 2021 9:58 pm Sewer Boar. I have been drawing a lot of boars lately and thought I would knock this one out. Boar_Sewer_by_MWByouk.png
Great work, Zoltor. I can always identify your drawings immediately.

Plus, that's a lotta bacon! Great stuff.
Teaman is the sole proprietor of Sharp Mountain Games at roll20 and DTRPG

https://marketplace.roll20.net/browse/p ... tain-games
http://drivethrurpg.com/browse/pub/8418 ... tain-Games
Zoltors Inkwell

Post by Zoltors Inkwell »

teaman wrote: Sun Jan 24, 2021 6:02 am
Zoltors Inkwell wrote: Sat Jan 23, 2021 9:58 pm Sewer Boar. I have been drawing a lot of boars lately and thought I would knock this one out. Boar_Sewer_by_MWByouk.png

Thanks Teaman.
My personal art page.
https://www.facebook.com/MWByouk
Bumblepig

Post by Bumblepig »

teaman wrote: Sun Jan 24, 2021 6:02 am

Bacon from a *sewer* boar?!?! Sounds like a health code violation waiting to happen. ;) :mrgreen:

With all these illustrations I can hardly wait to see BFFG 2 in print. But I know, patience is a virtue...