Half Humans Supplement

Creating game materials? Monsters, spells, classes, adventures? This is the place!
Solomoriah
Site Admin

Half Humans Supplement

Post by Solomoriah »

Post your comments here for the Half Humans Supplement.

https://basicfantasy.org/downloads.html#halfhumans
My personal site: www.gonnerman.org
Sir Bedivere

Re: Half Humans Supplement

Post by Sir Bedivere »

I'm curious about the body weight and lifespan of half-humans. Also, I noticed they don't get a non-human language. Would that depend on which community they grew up in? Or do they just have to get it w/ INT bonus?

And since I'm looking over this supplement, have you considered other racial mixtures, like gnome-halfling or goblin-halfling? Or are humans the only ones who can mix?
Solomoriah
Site Admin

Post by Solomoriah »

I haven't considered other half-breeds in any serious fashion. The races in Half Humans are "traditional" (with the exception of half-ogres), and are the only ones I allow in my game.

Regarding languages: Probably there should be some note about that in the supplement. Suggestions?
Maliki

Post by Maliki »

Something like, Depending on their upbringing, half-humans may or may not have their non-human parents language as a bonus starting language. A half-orc raised completely in a human settlement should not gain orcish as a bonus, but a half-elf who is raised in an elven community should have elfish as a bonus. It all depends on the characters background.
Sir Bedivere

Post by Sir Bedivere »

Maliki's way is the simplest, and right now, I think I vote for it.

If the GM wants to handle it differently, he / she can. As for me, when a player rolls up a new PC, I have my them describe their character's childhood and training in a paragraph or two. Depending on that background, I would just note on the record sheet 'half-fluent in Elvish,' 'has smattering of Elvish,' or whatever. Another way to handle it would be w/ a skills system, if the GM uses one.
Sir Bedivere

Post by Sir Bedivere »

Solomoriah wrote:The races in Half Humans are "traditional" (with the exception of half-ogres), and are the only ones I allow in my game.
That's what I do as well. In my game, the other races can't reproduce together.

I'm not sure we necessarily need to address the following in the rules, but ...

Another interesting question is whether half-humans can reproduce. Mules (half donkey and half horse) are sterile. Would a half-orc or half-elf be the same? It would be the simplest thing, else we might need to address 3/4s humans, ogres, orcs, and elves, and also situations like a 1/2 elf and a 1/2 orc having kids.

On the other hand, such mixed ancestries could be pretty interesting role-playing wise. We could just say that a 3/4s X is the same as the X (so a 3/4s elf is effectively an elf).

EDIT: And, we could say 1/2 humans are fertile with either of their two races, but no others. So, a 1/2 orc could reproduce with a human or an orc, but not with an elf or 1/2 elf or etc.
Solomoriah
Site Admin

Post by Solomoriah »

In my campaign, Orcs, Humans, and Elves participate in a "slippery slope:"

Half elf, half human is a half-elf. Cross a half-elf with an elf, and you get a half-elf; cross a half-elf with a human, and you get a human. Half-elf plus half-elf equals half-elf.

Half orc, half human is a half-orc. Cross a half-orc with a human, and you get a half-orc; cross a half-orc with an orc, and you get an orc. Half-orc plus half-orc equals half-orc.

Orcs and elves don't cross directly, but half-elves can reproduce with half-orcs, leading to an essentially human offspring.

Again, IMC, and rarely if ever relevant.
Sir Bedivere

Post by Sir Bedivere »

Since encumbrance depends in part on the size of the character, should half-ogres have higher capacities than humans, elves, and dwarves?

If we adjust the base loads to 65 / 160 (from human 60 / 150), we would get the following table:

Str / Bonus / Lt. / Hvy.
3 / -3 / 25 / 65
4-5 / -2 / 40 / 95
6-8 / -1 / 50 / 130
9-12 / 0 / 65 / 160
13-15 / +1 / 70 / 175
16-17 / +2 / 80 / 190
18 / +3 / 85 / 210

For comparison, the max human capacity is 80 / 195, and the max halfling capacity is 65 / 130.
Solomoriah
Site Admin

Post by Solomoriah »

I think that'd be fair. You want to update the supplement with that and post it here? I'll be sure to get it on the site.
Sir Bedivere

Post by Sir Bedivere »

Sure, I'll get to it sometime this week.