Collaborative Setting - Outline Thread

Creating game materials? Monsters, spells, classes, adventures? This is the place!
arcbolt21

Re: Collaborative Setting?

Post by arcbolt21 »

The Elven Kingdom - Kingdom of Aelvthyr (Elf Home)

Elf - 97%
Half-Elf - 2%
Other - 1%

Capital - Taesala - A city of majestic towers and called the known-world over as the City of Banners, Taesala is a large port city. Overlooked by the royal residence of the King and Queen (King Cae'Laur and Queen Milseri), the city has been one of prosperity but also growing militancy as threats from across the small sea appear on occasion in the harbor.

Current Status - Aelvthyr is growing concerned over the recent news that an outlying colony has been destroyed, and is beginning to withdraw into itself as it begins to figure out how to handle the threats abroad. The royals, meanwhile, seem to be unsure how to proceed.

Main industries - While agriculture has it's dues, the main thing Aelvthyr is known for is it's work of arts, fine jewels and the occasional magic. It's University of the Arcane is rivaled only by the ((BLANK)), and every year takes in only 10 new students from the human and dwarven lands.

Land Divisions - The Kingdom is separated into only 4 provinces, each headed by one of the monarchs cousins. However, in times of duress, these divisions cease and the whole of the Elven nation come under one single command system. The last time this happened was over a hundred years ago during the War of the Triple Alliance.

MORE COMING
chiisu81

Re: Collaborative Setting - Outline Thread

Post by chiisu81 »

Merged with workshop thread.
Dreamakuma

Post by Dreamakuma »

Yep longman, That's it.
I'll have a duchy or something cooked up tonight. I'm almost out to work.
Never stop dreaming, the imagination is the greatest gift we have.
arcbolt21

Post by arcbolt21 »

I think a good idea for each country/region/etc. would be to have a hook to both an adventure and another country. Nothing direct, you can just say "...from the neighboring country to the east," or something, but it would make it feel more like a full setting and not a collection of small ones, right?
Dreamakuma

Post by Dreamakuma »

I agree that's a good idea, but I think we shouldn't put the cart before the horse and have countries/kingdoms/territories before we start linking them together.

My startup of a land(Rough Draft)

Timorian
Small Country - Population of less than 10,000

60% Human
20% Dwarf/halfling
20% Other

Geography
A wet swampland with dry patches on which towns & villages are built. Streams riddle the land like stretchmarks across the land. A cold wind comes from the mountains at the edge of the northern border.
60% chance of rain each week.
20% chance of flooding in a flat region each week.
When it's not raining, it is overcast throughout the region.

The Country of Timorian is a quiet, solemn place. An outsider to the country would see a depressing landscape void of resources. There is only a small military designated for defense of the land. The populace is relatively poor. Very few wizards dare to call this country their home. Clerics, priests, and their churches are abound in Timorian. Their patron deities call them forth to help those in need in this bleak land.

Ruler
Lord Vilnas Dallak
Lord Vilnas appears as a pale, gaunt, tall man with dark hair and dressed in alligator leather armor at all times. He refuses to wage war with his neighboring countries; instead focusing on his own territory and what resources he needs for his land. Few wish to wage war on this 'man' however. His reputation for battle is a legacy of fear. Tales of stringing up opposing armies by their innards is spoke of in hushed camps of neighboring armies. To his subjects he is a harsh, almost cruel leader. Very few laws that are broken do not lead to public execution.

The truth of the matter is far more terrifying. Vilnas is a black dragon that hides his true form to rule his land. The entire country is built atop his lair. As he has aged for such a long time, he seeks immortality to rule this land forever.

More to come tomorrow. Very tired.
arcbolt21

Post by arcbolt21 »

Is anyone else wanting in on this? So far we only have three countries. Sort of want to see a dwarf and halfling one before I pick up another...
Dreamakuma

Post by Dreamakuma »

I'm going to add more tonight, been under the weather.
Mint

Post by Mint »

The Dwarven Kingdom of Thalfrahhen
Dwarf - 100%

Capital - Frorthenholm - The seat of Clan Frorthen. Set deep in the largest of the Windstorm Mountains. Every wall, floor, and ceiling of this city has been carved and shaped from the living rock of the mountain and the gems found within used to adorn the walks and public buildings.

Current Status - Thalfrahhen has always been reclusive and prohibitive of outsiders. None of it's inhabitants desire outsiders to move into their kingdom fastnesses and visitors are only tolerated if their visits remain just that - visits.

Main industries - Working in metal and stone, shaping of gems, armor, weapons, vast works of architecture, cunning implements.

Land Divisions - The entire range of the Windstorm Mountains is encompassed by the Kingdom of Thalfrahhen. Each of the hundred mountains is home to a seperate clan and as each mountain varies in size so too does each clan ranging from bare hundreds to tens of thousands.

Ruler - Thendrafvart, Chief of Clan Frorthen, King and Chief of the Clan Chiefs of Thalfrahhen. He has fierce red mustaches and a long forked beard. His eyes are stormy gray-blue and his pate bald. Many and great are his works in battle, craft, and friendship. He is a true friend and a fell foe.
Last edited by Mint on Mon Aug 10, 2015 3:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
arcbolt21

Post by arcbolt21 »

Very nice, Mint! I like it. Though I am curious as to why a Dwarf Kingdom is named 'Elf Home' in their language. Care to elaborate?
Mint

Post by Mint »

Ooops. Copied your layout as a format and forgot to erase that part of it is all. I'll fix it.

...and fixed.