New Spells Supplement

Creating game materials? Monsters, spells, classes, adventures? This is the place!
Solomoriah
Site Admin

Re: New Spells Supplement

Post by Solomoriah »

Y'know what, I've decided to rethink the whole thing.

New Spells was originally conceived as a way to fill in some gaps:

1. Spells providing effects common in "advanced" games of the era, but absent from the "coverage target" game;
2. Spells implementing effects that exist in the current game, but for which there are not spells (i.e. clairaudience, immunity from normal weapons, etc.); and
3. A useful set of 7th Level Spells for both classes.

I've just released R5 to the Downloads page, with some edits (up into the P's). I'm going to begin in earnest stripping down New Spells until it consists of only those things listed above. We have Libram Magica in the Showcase as a representative of an "omnibus" spell volume, and that's where the spells I'm going to strip out should be, along with any of Stuart's spells from this thread that I don't include in the supplement.

We still need a new champion for Libram Magica, if anyone is interested. I do think it performs an important function, but because of its expansive nature I feel like it needs to stay "unofficial," and thus in the Showcase.
My personal site: www.gonnerman.org
Dimirag

Post by Dimirag »

Minor question, the normal spell progression (the core one) is the same for both clerics and magic users, with the notation that clerics are one level behind, now, looking at the tables here, I noted that the progression for 7th level spells is different, is that intentionally to give clerics a third 7th level spell?
Sorry for any misspelling or writing error, I am not a native English speaker
Drawing portfolio: https://www.instagram.com/m.serena_dimirag/
Solomoriah
Site Admin

Post by Solomoriah »

I actually don't know, but I expect that was the plan. I didn't create that part.
Solomoriah
Site Admin

Post by Solomoriah »

Okay, I just posted R6, which omits the spells that fall outside the parameters I mentioned above, and also adds the Clairaudience spell which was still missing. For those who want the omitted spells, I'm including R5 here.

Hopefully someone will step up and take over Libram Magica...
Attachments
BF-New-Spells-Supplement-r5.pdf
(134.35 KiB) Downloaded 395 times
BF-New-Spells-Supplement-r5.odt
(42.93 KiB) Downloaded 365 times
doctorhook

Post by doctorhook »

The spell "Phase Door" exists on this list as well as in the Illusionist supplement, but the levels for each spell are different. The Illusionist doc lists it as "Illusionist 6, Magic-User 3", but this version says "Magic-User 7". Four levels is a pretty big gap for a mistake, so this must be a deliberate change (this version is dated 2017). Any insight?

Until I hear otherwise, I'm going to treat this spell as 7th level for MUs and Illusionist both.
Solomoriah
Site Admin

Post by Solomoriah »

Illusionists don't get 7th level spells.

Should be Magic-User 7, Illusionist 6.
doctorhook

Post by doctorhook »

Solomoriah wrote:Illusionists don't get 7th level spells.

Should be Magic-User 7, Illusionist 6.
Oh, okay. Is that be design or omission? They seemed to otherwise be parallel to Magic-Users; so when MUs got 7th level spells in a supplement, I assumed that would also translate over to Illusionists.
Solomoriah
Site Admin

Post by Solomoriah »

Why? Because no one ever created 7th level spells for Illusionists, so they don't have any.
SmootRK

Post by SmootRK »

I did create 1 such 7th level Illusionist spell. Raise Shade, a sort of re-imagination of Reincarnation for the class. Never got around to any other such illusionist spells. Certainly there are ideas that could be developed.

Anyway, details in Libram Magica. Note that it is not tested, never had illusionist in game that ever lasted beyond a few levels (game lasting that long, not necessarily meaning the character didn't make it).
Is it really the end, not some crazy dream?
chiisu81

Post by chiisu81 »