Combat Options Supplement

Creating game materials? Monsters, spells, classes, adventures? This is the place!
SmootRK

Re: Combat Options Supplement

Post by SmootRK »

Solomoriah wrote:What I mean is, you can neither gain a charging bonus nor set against charge if not so equipped.
that too. ;)
Is it really the end, not some crazy dream?
Solomoriah
Site Admin

Post by Solomoriah »

I'll be posting an updated copy soon with my changes. Hopefully everyone will find them acceptable.
My personal site: www.gonnerman.org
artikid

Post by artikid »

Hullo, I wanted to update this thread too.
Here is my latest release with Solomoriah's changes/requests added in...
I did not make changes to the jousting rules.
I don't think they need very much play-testing as jousting and mounted combat has been pretty similar in all legacy editions of the original fantasy game (so it's already been tested).
Attachments
BF-Combat-Options-Supplement-r2a.odt
(51.09 KiB) Downloaded 379 times
existence123

Post by existence123 »

Is the intention of this supplement that any class can use two-weapon fighting (the text just says "a character"), or is it supposed to be an option for fighters only?
Dimirag

Post by Dimirag »

IIRC is for any character, fighters have their own optional rules supplements. 2WF is common among thieves along with finesse fighting.
Sorry for any misspelling or writing error, I am not a native English speaker
Drawing portfolio: https://www.instagram.com/m.serena_dimirag/
existence123

Post by existence123 »

Dimirag wrote:IIRC is for any character, fighters have their own optional rules supplements. 2WF is common among thieves along with finesse fighting.

Ok, I was reading it that way too, but wanted to confirm. Thanks!
existence123

Post by existence123 »

One more question.

Do you guys give weapon specializations to fighters only, or to all optional classes in the fighter category (paladins, rangers, etc.)?

Thanks!
SmootRK

Post by SmootRK »

existence123 wrote:One more question.

Do you guys give weapon specializations to fighters only, or to all optional classes in the fighter category (paladins, rangers, etc.)?

Thanks!
It was written to address Fighters (ie. as an add-on for the core rules). How it is applied to additional supplements should be addressed separately.

Now for me, I have written some sub-classes of Fighters (and a Thief subclass focused moreso on fighting) found in the Showcase area. In that supplement (Additional Fighting Sub-Classes), Each sub-class still has access to the specialization rules but get their first rank at 4th level when a standard Fighter would be getting his 2nd such rank (the thief subclass Thug is slightly slower).

Now, how others approach the idea... I have not heard directly how anyone else approaches this topic.
Is it really the end, not some crazy dream?
Dimirag

Post by Dimirag »

I don't use weapon specialization, but I see it as a matter of taste or style.
If you give it only to the core fighter then it becomes his special ability, something that no sub-fighter has, if you give it to every sub-fighter is no big deal. Depending on the sub-fighter you can limit the specialization to one weapon only (giving versatility to the fighter) or slow the rate at which the class gains them.

If you like each class having a unique or primary thing then give WS only to the fighters, sub-fighters will have their own special things.

You can even let other classes and/or sub-classes to specialize by tweaking the rule.
Sorry for any misspelling or writing error, I am not a native English speaker
Drawing portfolio: https://www.instagram.com/m.serena_dimirag/
Hywaywolf

Post by Hywaywolf »

Its pretty straight forward in the supplement. weapons specialization specifically states that it is for fighters. Two-weapon combat, defensive fighting, and crits and fumbles are for everyone, including monsters and NPCs. Now just like everything else, a DM can pick and choose what they want to use, or alter it in any way they wish.