Fey-Mage (subclass), an alternate Sorcerer

Creating game materials? Monsters, spells, classes, adventures? This is the place!
SmootRK

Re: Fey-Mage (subclass), an alternate Sorcerer

Post by SmootRK »

danbuter wrote:Cool stuff!
Thanks. This is one of my favorite classes.
Is it really the end, not some crazy dream?
Dyl

Post by Dyl »

I'm using this as a novice GM with a novice group of adventurers.
I say that because I'm struggling to understand how to apply some of the rules and it could well be my lack of understanding.

The table of experience and spell levels suggests a Fey could have up to 7 level 1 spells by the time they hit level 18 (XP.)
In the Fey Mage Spells paragraph it says...

"Instead, a Fey-Mage
may learn a maximum number of spells of each spell level
equal to two plus their Charisma bonus.
"

I'm reading that as 2 plus a maximum charisma bonus +3 to give 5 spells.
My Fey Mage has a +1 CH bonus, so that would limit her to 3 spells of any given level?

Can anyone clear this up, is it my poor understanding or is it an inconsistency in the Fey supplement?
Dimirag

Post by Dimirag »

The table gives the number of spells that can be prepared (Slots).
The text mentions the number of spell known (Repertoire).
Dyl wrote: Mon Mar 21, 2022 11:02 am I'm reading that as 2 plus a maximum charisma bonus +3 to give 5 spells.
My Fey Mage has a +1 CH bonus, so that would limit her to 3 spells of any given level?
Your character will know a max of 3 spells of every spell level.
At 18th level your character will be able to cast 7 1st level spells (his available Slots), chosen from his list of 3 1st level spells (His available Repertoire).
Sorry for any misspelling or writing error, I am not a native English speaker
Drawing portfolio: https://www.instagram.com/m.serena_dimirag/
SmootRK

Post by SmootRK »

Yes. The text explains the character's known spells (PC's mental spellbook). Very limited compared to traditional MU.

The table indicates how many spells can be cast per day.
daryen

Post by daryen »

The Blood Heritage Sorcerer also uses this same mechanic, but gives more possible heritages than just Fey.

And, yes, the point is that the Fey-Mage/Sorcerer has an incredibly small number of spells known that they can cast. But, they can cast those few spells many times in a day. So, pick wisely!

Also, don't forget the utility of knowing Read Magic. While it may seem like a wasted spell on a very valuable slot, it allows them to also make use of scrolls. This only applies, of course, if scrolls are something that pops up reasonably frequently and there isn't someone else to make use of them.
SmootRK

Post by SmootRK »

For what it is worth, I wanted to add that the Fey-Mage was a wonderful addition to my game with my young children. On two different occasions Fey-Mage was chosen as a class; once as a Phaerim Fey-Mage, and later as a component of a Elf Combo Class (instead of MU) as a Fighter-Fey-Mage. On both occasions the simplicity of spell choices being limited to just a few spells worked well with my children.

The straight Fey-Mage was a force in combat with Magic-Missile several times each day as well as having Stoneskin spell... then later adding Invisibility. Coupled with Phaerim ability to fly, my daughter was able to thwart my GM plans regularly with surprise moves.

The Elf Fighter-Fey-Mage combo was a bit more traditional with spell choices of Detect Magic and Protection from Evil and tending to fight with Bows and Melee most of the time.

But in both cases, Fey-Mage worked out well as an alternate to the more traditional Staff and Spellbook sort of wizard type. I think my kids liked not having to ponder over spell choices and preparation rules of the traditional MU and the Fey-Mage fit their chosen character backgrounds better (in both cases my girls played these and they wanted more "girly" faerie-ish backgrounds over the Gandalf or Merlin sort of concepts).

Anyway, point is that this class worked excellently for me and my kids... of course, biased opinion because I wrote this, but there ya go!
Dyl

Post by Dyl »

Thanks everyone. I've read the Supplement again, next to Dimirag's description and I finally understand. The meaning is clear to me now.
SmootRK - very nice supplement. Thanks for clarifying/confirming the meaning. I'm actually playing it with my adult children.
We don't have any experience with a traditional magic-user to draw comparisons with but it's definitely fun playing this subclass. The player is a total novice and she played very well, that is until she got hit. I had to play the negative hit points rule as I couldn't let her die.
All my players leveled up and I'm waiting on her spell choices, 3 of them, with 3 castings per day allowed.
It's a full week of bed rest and recovery first.

Thanks again
TrickyNikki

Post by TrickyNikki »

Hey there, I was looking for images for my upcoming game and I found something that may please you.

Here is a way better resolution of that picture you got in the class :)
Attachments
Oberon and Titania, Midsummer Night's Dream, Act II, Scene III.jpg
Oberon and Titania, Midsummer Night's Dream, Act II, Scene III.jpg (1.67 MiB) Viewed 1939 times
Creativity is just a single letter away.
SmootRK

Post by SmootRK »

Very Nice. As someone who is Artistically-Challenged, I like to find classic (older & copyright free) art that suits my supplements. Those wood-block printed images are often perfect from that era.

LOL - if only I could draw anything decently. Ah Well.
TrickyNikki

Post by TrickyNikki »

I must agree, it’s a fantastic piece of art!
Creativity is just a single letter away.