Fey-Mage (subclass), an alternate Sorcerer

Creating game materials? Monsters, spells, classes, adventures? This is the place!
SmootRK

Re: Fey-Mage (subclass), an alternate Sorcerer

Post by SmootRK »

Having Quasi-Classes independent is fine, but having just the Ranger and Knight together makes a pretty light supplement. On the other hand, I suppose I could add in more stuff that has been written, also bringing the Necromancer (which I primarily authored as well)... but that one is pretty big, able to stand alone well, especially since it works better as a NPC option (being rather 'evil' in overall tone).
Just thinking out loud.
Is it really the end, not some crazy dream?
Sir Bedivere

Post by Sir Bedivere »

I like Quasi-Classes as an independent supplement as well, and I don't think being short is a problem for the knight and ranger. There are several supplements that are just a couple of pages long, IIRC. My M-U Options supplement is only 2 pages, and I think Thief Options is only 1 or 2.
Joe the Rat

Post by Joe the Rat »

A few are two pages, including the Open License documentation. The non-spellcaster supplements are fairly light, since they don't have as much in the way of new spell lists, abilities, mechanics, or magic items - Fey-Mage just introduces an alternate spell mechanic. Ranger and Knight have a decent theme to it (Defenders/"To Protect" - I can picture the cover art for it), as a pair of fighters. The Fey-Mage feels a little tacked on, unless you have more non-fighter variations to pool in at the same time.

The other thing to consider is if bigger is necessarily better. Separate supplements make it easier for others to pick and choose what they want to use, and print off for their house rules.
Go with a smile!
SmootRK

Post by SmootRK »

Joe the Rat wrote:A few are two pages, including the Open License documentation. The non-spellcaster supplements are fairly light, since they don't have as much in the way of new spell lists, abilities, mechanics, or magic items - Fey-Mage just introduces an alternate spell mechanic. Ranger and Knight have a decent theme to it (Defenders/"To Protect" - I can picture the cover art for it), as a pair of fighters. The Fey-Mage feels a little tacked on, unless you have more non-fighter variations to pool in at the same time.

The other thing to consider is if bigger is necessarily better. Separate supplements make it easier for others to pick and choose what they want to use, and print off for their house rules.
I agree Quasi-Classes in one stand-alone Supplement, and I would not really mind each class having its own supplement. But... There are about 3 or more Rangers floating about... that would get confusing quick. Perhaps I could release the Ranger, but follow up by combining all the Rangers into one supplement (Called Ranger Variants or something). Each Ranger can be detailed separately, giving credit to individuals, and making clear that the Game Master should choose the one that best suits his/her idea.

Also, For the Knight Supplement (upcoming, split off from Quasi-Classes)... I would like to make some sort of Black Knight version for the bad guys. I need some sort of Code of Conduct that works for a Dark Knight being a bad but honourable type of character... anyone up to writing sort of bad-guy chivalric code?

Just Ideas for now.
Sir Bedivere

Post by Sir Bedivere »

Did this supplement ever get finished up?
SmootRK

Post by SmootRK »

The latest version posted up is about as far as I got (which is effectively a finished product though). There are a few ideas to implement, but it could stand otherwise.

My time for development is just not available these days. I have several near-finished projects like this: Additional Fighting Sub-Classes, Fey-Mage, Quasi-Classes release 2, a big House Rule document spanning the entire rule set (least finished, but very big item otherwise).
Sir Bedivere

Post by Sir Bedivere »

Yeah, I know the feeling. I've been hit by a fever to finish projects this week, so maybe I'll get some of mine done and off the list.

Anyway, I keep recommending the Fey Mage supplement to people but forgetting that it isn't an officially released supplement yet. At least I can point them to the PDF you have in this thread.
SmootRK

Post by SmootRK »

SmootRK wrote:latest version is on second page of this thread:

download/file.php?id=39 PDF

download/file.php?id=38 Open Office
Unfortunately it does not look like I will have any real development time in the foreseeable future. However, I believe the Fey-Mage is a good supplement that ought to be shared. The above quoted post from the 3rd page of this thread contains the most up-to-date versions that I can locate right now.

Solomoriah/Chris, feel free to make these a release 1, and if you wanted to tweak anything that would be fine. One change that I wanted to edit was tweaking the Wall of Iron spell into Wall of Bronze (or generic Metal). Minor change to accommodate the Fey aversion to iron... but that is up to you if you want to add some note about that spell.
SmootRK

Post by SmootRK »

Just an FYI... I am looking forward to Solo making the Showcase section of the site functional. I think this will be a great class to present right away.
danbuter

Post by danbuter »

Cool stuff!